6 bd, 15 ba

20000 sqft

250 Delfern Dr

Los Angeles CA 90077

$26,500,000

Reduced $3,000,000

5 bd, 7 ba,1 ½ ba

10528 sqft

The fact that $40 million houses are being foreclosed upon tells me that the US is just like the UK : it is difficult to tell whether people are rich or not by the houses in which they live, the cars that they drive, the clothes / shoes / watches / jewellery that they wear etc.

Leverage lets people people "rent affluence".

Can that be real - a quarter of a million square feet?

You'd certainly feel you were knocking around the old place - even if you were the entire population of LA!

maybe it's an apartment block rather than a house.

The LA metro is very much like London: house prices within the city itself range from unrealistic (areas you wouldn't want to go after dark, e.g. Compton, San Pedro) to stratospheric (nice bits, e.g. Hancock Park, West Hollywood). The difference is that there are now reasonably priced places (as in, within 4x typical middle class salaries) within sane commuting distance, e.g. a lot of Ventura County to the north (e.g. Santa Clarita or Sunland) or the Inland Empire to the east. If you're willing to put up with a one-hour commute, the situation is a lot less hopeless than I get the impression it is in the south-east of England. I have family near San Bernadino, and a very large proportion of the working population in that area (SB itself is a hole, but I'm thinking about Redlands, Riverside, Colton, Rancho Cucamonga and places like that) are LA area commuters who would live closer if they could afford to. Partly for this reason, I suspect, the public transport in that area is being upgraded. The local media were talking about an increase in commuter trains to LA the last time I was there.

I've posted about this before - if you go to google maps there is an option to look at foreclosures. If you look around the 'rich' areas of LA which are basically North LA, Santa Monica, Malibu the map is covered with dots. It is the same down South towards Huntingdon Bay and Orange County.

I keep thinking what will happen if the several million of poor who live in between figure out that double choc lattes and a small Police force are all that separates the super rich from the super poor?

Google Maps Foreclosure Listings

1. Punch in any US address into Google Maps.

2. Your options are Earth, Satellite, Map, Traffic and . . . More. (Select “More”)

3. The drop down menu gives you a check box option for “Real Estate.”

4. The left column will give you several options (You may have to select “Show Options”)

5. Check the box marked “Foreclosure.”

Unless I'm very much mistaken that facility on google maps was discontinued.

I've just tried to follow your instructions but when I hit the "more" option I get bicycling and wikipedia and stuff but the real estate option that used to be there has disappeared.

Google real estate listings were also hopelessly inaccurate.

Ah yes, here we are,

http://jendollar.com/uncategorized/google-stops-syndicating-real-estate-listings/

Have they restarted it?

That house listed for $53 million.

It says it has 9 bedrooms and 21 bathrooms.

21 Bathrooms???!!!!!!

I imagine it was the Jif bills that toppled the owners in to financial ruin.

Unless I'm very much mistaken that facility on google maps was discontinued.

I've just tried to follow your instructions but when I hit the "more" option I get bicycling and wikipedia and stuff but the real estate option that used to be there has disappeared.

Google real estate listings were also hopelessly inaccurate.

Ah yes, here we are,

http://jendollar.com/uncategorized/google-stops-syndicating-real-estate-listings/

Have they restarted it?

Ah, there's a shame - the amount of foreclosures that you could see by it was staggering.