House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Surreal Pictures Of America's Crumbling Roads

Roads in the US piss all over roads in the UK. In my experience anyway.

Roads in the US piss all over roads in the UK. In my experience anyway.

Outside of cities I think that's true - the interstates are generally really good. Roads in New York and Boston, the US cities I'm most familiar with, are dire though. Huge craters are the norm and one of the reasons cars the size of tanks are so popular. I once saw a VW Golf literally fall down a pot-hole at an intersection in New York and have to be dragged out by a tow truck.

Even the interstates in East Arkansas were in a dreadful state when I went there a couple of years ago, they're bound to be worse now.

...but there's no excuse for holes like that in LA.

I recently spent a week commuting on the 10 between UCLA and San Bernadino, and most of it would make the M1 look brand new! The lane markings have virtually worn away in many sections, potholes and badly patched repairs are all over the place, signs are missing ... you name it. I'd say that on average, the surface quality of Southern California's roads is probably significantly worse than ours.

I recently re-reported a pothole on my street via fixmystreet.co.uk

(so it goes on public record)

I have the original email from august 2009 where I had previously reported it directly to them.

Of course they don't like you reporting via fixmystreet.co.uk as it's a record of how long it takes them to do it.

I reported several other pot holes in the same email in 2009 so I know they got it as they came and did the easy ones... but the big one is now even deeper ... might take a snap of it later.

(My friend says take photos of pot holes in the afternoon as the shadows will look deeper)

Outside of cities I think that's true - the interstates are generally really good. Roads in New York and Boston, the US cities I'm most familiar with, are dire though. Huge craters are the norm and one of the reasons cars the size of tanks are so popular. I once saw a VW Golf literally fall down a pot-hole at an intersection in New York and have to be dragged out by a tow truck.

Our motorways would be if they weren't so busy but that's what you get when you've got most of your cities much closer to each other, therefore making travel, particularly road travel, between them much more convenient.