House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Do You "dabble" By Doing Several Jobs?

Does anyone do bits & pieces of several things in order to make a living? I'd quite like to go down this route in the future, and I'm thinking what sort of things I could do...I've had a "small" career and realised its all cobblers, and I'd like to be my own boss (I know it sounds cliched)...If you have gone down this route, how are you finding it?

I do! Career turned into a £20k dead endy stressful job and I was doing bits on the side anyway. Didn't seem worth trying to get a £25k or £30k job as people seem to be worked to death in those roles even if you could get one.

When I started to have to turn down 'on the side' gigs due to the day job I finally said, 'Why bother?'

I now work very hard but it doesn't feel like work because I work when and how I like. As long as clients are happy there's no office politics or stupid bosses or noisy open-plan work environments to worry about. I have very little stress now and earn much more in the typical month than before.

Working on it!

Electrical, IT, networking, motorbike servicing, bit of courier work, labouring,

Does anyone do bits & pieces of several things in order to make a living? I'd quite like to go down this route in the future, and I'm thinking what sort of things I could do...I've had a "small" career and realised its all cobblers, and I'd like to be my own boss (I know it sounds cliched)...If you have gone down this route, how are you finding it?

I'm a jack of all trades tbh. My main side jobs are working as a chef and fixing stuff. I also do tax and accounts on the side AND when I can get away with it pack other peoples canopies.

Sort-of. In a narrow sense. That is to say, software development is what pays the bills (when I get paying clients), but I do other things like writing on top. But that's not really another job when writing on subjects closely related to the day job.

Just trying a much bigger dabble: working on a competition entry. It's a pipe-dream, but if I were to win it would be fulfilling a lifetime ambition!

No, but I know people who do. I'm dabbling with stuff at the moment with the possibility of monitorising things if I want to. If I were you I would try to do things weekends and evenings and see how it goes, you can do other stuff whilst holding down a Full Time job. If it goes well then you can jump ship, or its pocket money..

I was talking to a fellow Swansea HPCer about this last week - it seems in Swansea that loads of people make their living from 2 or 3 jobs.

I know that tourist places like Tenby are like this.

I think it is the way to go to be frank.

I was talking to a fellow Swansea HPCer about this last week - it seems in Swansea that loads of people make their living from 2 or 3 jobs.

I know that tourist places like Tenby are like this.

I think it is the way to go to be frank.

I suppose in small places, you have to diversity in order to survive...I remember seeing some programme about a chap on a Scottish island had literally about 10 jobs...such as policeman, post office sub master, fisherman, etc...

Does growing my own veg count? Tomatoes for example? ;)

Maybe if you're selling enough to buy more than a pint of beer a week...

:-/

I suppose in small places, you have to diversity in order to survive...I remember seeing some programme about a chap on a Scottish island had literally about 10 jobs...such as policeman, post office sub master, fisherman, etc...

Not myself but I know loads of people that do. A few people I know do photography on the side despite having no previous experience. With digital cameras, I guess anyone can be a photographer quite easily and cheaply.

Other things that are popular are gardening, cake making, IT support..