House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tata!

Swissies Up 22% In 2 Years.

I moved to Switzerland with work in early 2009. Since then the £ has sunk some 21% against the CHF (Link). Soon, I'll be moving to France where the Euro is also at an all-time(ish) low against the CHF, down 20% since early 2009. (Link).

It's interesting that in terms of CHFs, sterling and euros performed nigh on the same since early 2009, even though they have had their own stories and scandals.

Sooo... 20% sounds like a good profit for cashing in some Swissies, back to Sterling or into Euros. Question is, is now too early and should I let greed take over for a few more months / years. Appreciate that Nostrodamus is not amongst us, but grateful for anyones 2 cents. Ta.

I moved to Switzerland with work in early 2009. Since then the £ has sunk some 21% against the CHF (Link). Soon, I'll be moving to France where the Euro is also at an all-time(ish) low against the CHF, down 20% since early 2009. (Link).

It's interesting that in terms of CHFs, sterling and euros performed nigh on the same since early 2009, even though they have had their own stories and scandals.

Sooo... 20% sounds like a good profit for cashing in some Swissies, back to Sterling or into Euros. Question is, is now too early and should I let greed take over for a few more months / years. Appreciate that Nostrodamus is not amongst us, but grateful for anyones 2 cents. Ta.

My pension cash all in CHF since 2007-8

Personal cash 60/15/15/10 CHF/USD/EUR/STG

And that's the way it's staying

I'd buy precious metals or Swiss real estate as the only viable options to holding that level of CHF right now, though bottom fishing in UK real estate might be an option out of CHF in the next 12-18 months.

I was kicking myself for not moving over some CHF into Sterling at the end of 2008. It took 2 years for the rate to get back to the same level and then I did finally move some of my cash into GBP at the start of 2011. Since then the CHF has just kept on going. I assume the Swiss National Bank has given up buying Euros so the Swiss Franc could get even stronger. There will come a point though when people become worried that the GBP and Euro are oversold.

The CHF/EUR rate is excellent compared to what it has been over the last 5 years but if you are going to be earning Euros then I would be tempted to keep the Swiss Francs as they are. But if you are going to need some of that cash in Euros in the future then move some of it over now to avoid regrets if the rate goes against you.

I was kicking myself for not moving over some CHF into Sterling at the end of 2008. It took 2 years for the rate to get back to the same level and then I did finally move some of my cash into GBP at the start of 2011. Since then the CHF has just kept on going. I assume the Swiss National Bank has given up buying Euros so the Swiss Franc could get even stronger. There will come a point though when people become worried that the GBP and Euro are oversold.

The CHF/EUR rate is excellent compared to what it has been over the last 5 years but if you are going to be earning Euros then I would be tempted to keep the Swiss Francs as they are. But if you are going to need some of that cash in Euros in the future then move some of it over now to avoid regrets if the rate goes against you.

Yep. Think that just about sums it up. Apparently the Swiss are getting a little narky that their manufacturing/export industry is starting to suffer. I think I'll do a bit. I was having the same thoughts when the euro was 0.75CHF and did a bit then too, now at 0.82CHF I'll do a bit more. When Greece goes belly up, maybe I'll do the last bit...

Thanks!

Yep. Think that just about sums it up. Apparently the Swiss are getting a little narky that their manufacturing/export industry is starting to suffer. I think I'll do a bit. I was having the same thoughts when the euro was 0.75CHF and did a bit then too, now at 0.82CHF I'll do a bit more. When Greece goes belly up, maybe I'll do the last bit...

Thanks!

No probs! I think that's the best you can do to make sure you keep at least some of the profit. It's amazing what the Swiss Franc has done to the Euro and I hope it continues for a while yet.