House Price Crash Forum
nohpc

People Benefitting From The Recession

There is a signifant but generally silent proportion of the population who are having a great run in the recession.

Talking about them is so taboo that an MP got fired for saying that "young people have never had it so good".

For those who have kept their jobs and seen their mortgage interest plummet as they were sensible to see through the smoke and mirrors and get a tracker mortgage at the right time the recession has been as if somebody has handed them a large back stuffed with bank notes.

I know lots of people are suffering, but a lot of the people who are squealing the loudest are the people who maybe didn't deserve what they had in the first place as:

1) they bought it on a lot of credit which they never had any hope of repaying

2) they spent over the odds on assets such as houses as they stupidly believed they would get rich from this

3) they didn't save 1 pence of money in case of hard times

4) they have forgotten that not that long ago having a brand new car and 2 holidays abroad every year wasn't a basic human right.

To me inflation is something that should be allowed to run its course:

1) food is too cheap.. look how fat the country is for simple evidence of this.

2) cigarettes and alcohol are far too cheap.. look how many people smoke and drink too much

3) petrol is way to cheap.. look how many boy racers, neds, chavs etc are on the road clogging them up when they could be walking/cycling/bussing.

4) flying is too cheap. We need less flights (environmentally friendly) with more seats taken. Flying is not a human right.

Savers are irrelevant. How many people have enough money in savings to get a significant amount from them? Only pensioners and the very wealthy. I am an avid saver but I know that money needs to be invested in assets to make anything back from it. What kind of idiots keep their money in the bank these days? Don't they deserve pitiful rates?

There is a signifant but generally silent proportion of the population who are having a great run in the recession.

Talking about them is so taboo that an MP got fired for saying that "young people have never had it so good".

For those who have kept their jobs and seen their mortgage interest plummet as they were sensible to see through the smoke and mirrors and get a tracker mortgage at the right time the recession has been as if somebody has handed them a large back stuffed with bank notes.

+1

Luckily I changed job, upped my income, and got onto a fee free tracker just ahead of rates falling to near zero.

I know lots of people are suffering, but a lot of the people who are squealing the loudest are the people who maybe didn't deserve what they had in the first place as:

2) they spent over the odds on assets such as houses as they stupidly believed they would get rich from this

4) they have forgotten that not that long ago having a brand new car and 2 holidays abroad every year wasn't a basic human right.

+1

2) cigarettes and alcohol are far too cheap.. look how many people smoke and drink too much

3) petrol is way to cheap.. look how many boy racers, neds, chavs etc are on the road clogging them up when they could be walking/cycling/bussing.

4) flying is too cheap. We need less flights (environmentally friendly) with more seats taken. Flying is not a human right.

1) The wrong sort of food is too cheap. Highly processed food costs little more (and in some cases less) than fresh food.

2) No - Cigarettes are so expensive that more people are buying them illegally. Alcohol is far too expensive compared with most of Europe. A bottle of plonk will set you back at least £4 these days. You can get great wine in Europe for less than €1/bottle

3) Yes - petrol should be twice what it costs now, and road tax reduced to a token value to check that cars are roadworthy. A Porsche driven less than 1000 miles a year pollutes less than a Panda doing 50,000 miles/annum. (Though my Panda only does about 2,000 miles/annum)

4) Not any more, unless you get a Ryanair flight 100 miles from your true location leaving at 7am on a wet Wednesday, and don't have any baggage.

Savers are irrelevant. How many people have enough money in savings to get a significant amount from them? Only pensioners and the very wealthy. I am an avid saver but I know that money needs to be invested in assets to make anything back from it. What kind of idiots keep their money in the bank these days? Don't they deserve pitiful rates?

I keep my cash in the bank. But then again I did get 4.8% fixed on it 2 years ago. The spare cash I had has been spent on a loft and ns&I.

Alcohol and cigarettes have been increasing over and above inflation in price for a long time now.

I buy duty free tobacco most of the time, duty free alcohol some of the time, brew my own beer some of the time and sometimes buy beer from the shop too, I visit the pub perhaps once a week rather than multiple times, and am contemplating growing my own tobacco due to potential shortages of duty free tobacco as demand has risen.

The majority is tax.

Supermarkets were selling alcohol below the cost of DUTY and VAT not so long back. Unemployed alcoholics were becoming NET contributors to the state via the purchase of supermarket loss leaders.

Agreed. You are a kindred spirit.

1) More fit birds.

2)I don't smoke so don't care, more on booze later...

3)Less people getting in the way on the roads

4)Protect the environment through less flights and have less queues at airports.

And finally, let inflation destroy all fiat currencies so I make a mint in gold and silver. :D A winner all round really, apart from the more expensive booze, but no pain, no gain, aye?

Nobody is suffering from the recession.

Until I see legions of emaciated homeless children walking the streets, selling matchsticks for a meal, we are doing not bad for a 'bankrupt' nation.

Far too many fat fuks walking about with eye-phones for me to believe there is any suffering.

Until I see legions of emaciated homeless children walking the streets, selling matchsticks for a meal, we are doing not bad for a 'bankrupt' nation.

Far too many fat fuks walking about with eye-phones for me to believe there is any suffering.

Succinct. B)

Edited by chronyx

Minimal amounts of labour needed for food production, minimal amounts of labour required for sufficient housing. Pay in both sectors low.

Pensioners who died of cold after choosing between food and heat in the winter?

Children murdered or orphaned when their financially ruined parents take the ultimate way out?

Pensioners who died of cold after choosing between food and heat in the winter?

Children murdered or orphaned when their financially ruined parents take the ultimate way out?

You are part of the less than one tenth of a percent of lucky people in this world who won't die because of conflict, famine, disease, etc...

Being poor doesn't make you crazy, and everybody dies eventually.

What more do you want?

EDIT: and lets not forget about the raft of 'poor' oldies freezing inside of their home, owned outright. Bloody sell up and have a life.

Edited by cashinmattress