House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Stanley Fischer Stakes Claim To Imf Top Job

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jun/13/imf-top-job-stanley-fischer

Stanley Fischer, the Israeli central bank governor, has challenged Christine Lagarde's ability to run the International Monetary Fund by claiming that his training as an economist made him a superior candidate.

Fischer, whose interest in the post emerged over the weekend, said it is essential that the managing director of the IMF has the academic training to help steer the world economy through the current crisis.

"In normal times, you can probably rely on intuition," Fischer told the Wall Street Journal. "But all the time, in different countries, there are serious economic issues [to be addressed]."

Fischer's decision to enter the race to succeed Dominique Strauss-Kahn was announced over the weekend, after nominations closed. It adds an intriguing twist to a race that appeared to be a formality, after Lagarde won praise and backing from a group of African finance ministers on Friday.

An interesting option, I wonder how the Middle Eastern countries would react to having the ex Israeli central banker turning up to advise them?

I agree he is better qualified for the job. After all his people invented usury and he is the head of the Central Bank of the country where his people now reside. So, who better to run the titanic global usurer that is the IMF?

Not to mention it would make the perfect the cap stone to the pyramid of Israeli domination of global politics and finance. Just go for it 'tiny and defenceless' Israel, yay!

An interesting option, I wonder how the Middle Eastern countries would react to having the ex Israeli central banker turning up to advise them?

Interestingly, Israel is one of the few countries that has recently been raising rates quite agressively - just last month again to stand at now 3.25% - which perhaps plays a part in why the Israeli currency has strengthened against the Pound in recent times (though not as much as say currencies of other 'small' countries such as NZ). I say small with caution as I also note teh GDP per capita of Israel is fairly impressive - I think?

Perhaps he, or an 'outsider' like him, might not be such a bad choice compared to the historically institutionally 'expected' western ex-politico has-beens that have run the IMF.

i would also comment that in direct response the possible Arab dislike - they might actually learn something from him! Despite having the good fortune to have landed the greatest riches of the Earth (i.e oil) and thus, in principle, should be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

And yet the GDP per capita of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and Libya is less than Israel! A country with no meaningful natural resources(?) other than its wits and intelligence of its people!

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:GBR:USA:NOR:PAK:ITA:JPN:ISR:IMY:HKG:GRC:FIN:ISL:CZE:DNK:CHN:ARG:ETH:CYM:BMU:LIE:MAR:NLD:AUS:SWE:ARE&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=49&hl=en&dl=en#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:GBR:JPN:ISR:SAU:OMN:BHR:IRN:LBY&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=49&hl=en&dl=en

Edited by anonguest

i would also comment that in direct response the possible Arab dislike - they might actually learn something from him! Despite having the good fortune to have landed the greatest riches of the Earth (i.e oil) and thus, in principle, should be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

And yet the GDP per capita of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and Libya is less than Israel! A country with no meaningful natural resources(?) other than its wits and intelligence of its people!

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:GBR:USA:NOR:PAK:ITA:JPN:ISR:IMY:HKG:GRC:FIN:ISL:CZE:DNK:CHN:ARG:ETH:CYM:BMU:LIE:MAR:NLD:AUS:SWE:ARE&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=49&hl=en&dl=en#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:GBR:JPN:ISR:SAU:OMN:BHR:IRN:LBY&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=49&hl=en&dl=en

Of course the poverty of the vast majority of the people of the Arab nations has nothing to do with dictatorial leaders and elites, compliant to the US and the West, who maintain their stranglehold on the nations resources and wealth with the help of their western 'allies', in the form of political and military backing in return for cheap oil sold at a fraction of its real value in exchange for freshly printed bits of green paper. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

It must be said, that individual cases vary across the region. Iran hasn't got a compliant leader - and is therefore vilified and threatened with invasion - in exactly the same way as Iraq and Libya when they could no longer be controlled, but it doesn't make the leaders of these places any less corrupt and self-serving.

One only has to look at the ME-wide Arab spring to see how decades or misrule is viewed by your average Arab. I believe it is indicative of the uprisings in Eastern Europe before the Soviet Union fell. The Empire's staunchest ally (in it's own self-interest of course), Israel, even has it's own evil wall, in exactly the same way as East Germany. Hopefully it too will fall shortly, along with the Empire.

Edited by General Congreve

http://www.hotpolitics.com/tax4israel.htm

And US aid to Israel hardly contributes anything to Israeli GDP.

Edited by interestrateripoff

http://www.hotpolitics.com/tax4israel.htm

And US aid to Israel hardly contributes anything to Israeli GDP.

Fair point, BUT...... using the figures quoted in the article, and doing a quick back of the envelope calculation, I work out that the aid amounts to about $500 of the more than $28,000 per capita GDP figure. Big deal!

How much foreign aid do we give to loads of small countries? How has their GDP per capita been improved?

Given that the Arab nations also probably get a fair bit of 'aid' in various forms no doubt, I hardly see what your point is!?

My point was that, for such a small nation (with probably higher per capita burdensome expenditure on defence, etc than many other nations) they appear to have done rather well. Which I find intruiging. In fact I think MPs should be ashamed that such small countries are nipping at the heels of the UK in terms of economic 'power'

The US/California has Silicon Valley

Israel has Silicon Wadi

What has Saudi got once you take the oil away? Huh?!

Edited by anonguest