House Price Crash Forum

Household Isn't Paying Down Debt Despite Low Ir

HOLA441

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/quarterlybulletin/qb110205.pdf

The amount of housing equity withdrawal (HEW) has swung from being significantly positive before

the financial crisis and recession, to negative over the past few years. The net effect of a chain of

housing transactions is typically a large equity withdrawal. The fall in the number of housing

transactions is therefore likely to have been a key driver of the fall in equity withdrawal since the

financial crisis. There is little sign that, at the aggregate level, households are making an active

effort to pay down debt more quickly than in the past.

Certainly think my next door will opt for a holiday rather than paying down mortgage... but yet 0.5% rate

is BoE official policy..

Also explain how First Time Buyer need to inject hard earned cash (err...equity) so that last time buyer can withdraw them...

Edited by easybetman

HOLA442

No incentive to. Clearly they don't want people to pay down debt.

Damn right the government don't

The minimal growth that the economy is currently still forecast to generate over the next few years is from households taking on more debt.....fat chance...

HOLA443
HOLA444

So much for 2 years of ZIRP.

The BoE's implicit wink for the overtly debted was:

1) Pay off as much of the capitla to avoid going bust when IRs normalise i.e. 5 or 6%

2) Sell house to someone who can afford it.

Off the people I know, only one has followed this - paid of some of the capital to allow him to shift the house without the bank objecting.

The other 5 or 6 have just spent the IR savings. Total nuts.

HOLA445
HOLA446

It appears that we are set to increase total borrowing from the current 1.6 trillion to 2.1 trillion in the next four years, according to an article in the Telegraph this weekend.

Worryingly now food, fuel and a few other essentials have gone up to more realistic levels, coupled with our profligate chavy spending habits, we can't even service debt at these record low rates.

One thing for sure with our credit lines from abroad spent, there is absolutely no scope left for another increase in house prices but plenty of scope for futher corrections beyond the -25% + (real) we have alredy experienced since 2007.

HOLA447

Of course they don't want that to happen, think of the short term implications to the economy.

However in a few years time there could be quite a few people regretting the holiday etc... instead of paying down the debt making their servicing costs affordable.

Plus maybe many in debt are using the extra cash to keep their current lifestyle going.

HOLA448

So much for 2 years of ZIRP.

The BoE's implicit wink for the overtly debted was:

1) Pay off as much of the capitla to avoid going bust when IRs normalise i.e. 5 or 6%

2) Sell house to someone who can afford it.

Off the people I know, only one has followed this - paid of some of the capital to allow him to shift the house without the bank objecting.

The other 5 or 6 have just spent the IR savings. Total nuts.

No they are patriotic citizens spending their income and capital to march the economy back into growth...

...sustainable growth based on a solid manufacturing base...

HOLA449
HOLA4410

**** the ****ing bed. People in reluctance to pay back free money shocker.

Who knew?

Indeed. Stupid is as stupid does.

If they were daft enough to get 10x liar loans, then what's to say they'll get a clue and start being sensible with money.

HOLA4411

When my mortgage is at 2.19% and my NS&I certs are at RPI+1%, then there is no point trying to reduce the mortgage.

+1

when I am borrowing at 0.67% and can get 5% in an isa why should I be paying down my mortgage?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

When my mortgage is at 2.19% and my NS&I certs are at RPI+1%, then there is no point trying to reduce the mortgage.

+1

Was a little late to the game myself, having just taken out a mortgage, but a mortgage at 2.39% and NS&I certs at RPI+1% really is a no-brainer. The fact that such opportunities to make free money exist is surely an indication that something is seriously out of kilter with our economy.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

We've gone for the debt paying down route by getting an offset mortgage and putting our savings against it.

Means we've gone from a £100k mortgage to a £6k mortgage in a little under a year albeit we have all our eggs in one basket.

I'm sure there are better ways of using our money to maximise income but I like the idea of no rent / mortgage payments ever again.

HOLA4420

We've gone for the debt paying down route by getting an offset mortgage and putting our savings against it.

Means we've gone from a £100k mortgage to a £6k mortgage in a little under a year albeit we have all our eggs in one basket.

I'm sure there are better ways of using our money to maximise income but I like the idea of no rent / mortgage payments ever again.

Me too, but I found the opportunity to borrow an extra 30K at (currently) 2.39% in order to allow my NS&I certs to remain invested at (currently) 6.2% too good a chance to make approx £1,000 of free money per year to miss.

HOLA4421

economics 101 - massively reducing the price of something [e.g. debt] does not, as a rule, tend to send customers rushing in their droves to consume far less of it.

....I would say a lot depends on how deep the debt goes, when you are hundreds of thousands in debt what is the point of paying any back, it would hardly make a dent.....all you can then do is stick paying the interest/rent (praying it doesn't increase) or default. ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Me too, but I found the opportunity to borrow an extra 30K at (currently) 2.39% in order to allow my NS&I certs to remain invested at (currently) 6.2% too good a chance to make approx £1,000 of free money per year to miss.

The fly in the ointment is that any of these figures can, and will, change at any moment. And they may not change in your favour.

HOLA4424

The fly in the ointment is that any of these figures can, and will, change at any moment. And they may not change in your favour.

but he/she can pay down the mortgage (in most cases) quickly enough from savings to negate them ,thewre is little risk

it simply came down to getting a good mortgage deal in a prior, different, IR environment, as far as i can tell

HOLA4425