House Price Crash Forum

Builders Have No Work

I'm in Cardiff - the builders refitting our local primary school went into administration last week....not that big an outfit...walked off the job...left the school a disaster area.....they do a mix of houses and commercial work...

I'm in Cardiff - the builders refitting our local primary school went into administration last week....not that big an outfit...walked off the job...left the school a disaster area.....they do a mix of houses and commercial work...

well, let that be a lesson to them eh:)

I think its quite sad really. Although I am MADE-UP that the building trade is suffering (Only because its a great indicator of what's going on) I would also not like to see anyone out of work. I am being DEAD HONEST NOW - That statement is true, but if an Estate Agency went bust I would p**s on the owner once he locked the door. He does not give F**K about their customers when he is putting them up-to-the-hilt in debt, so why should we reciprocate?

Anyway, apart for EA's. I genuinely do not like to see anyone out of work. There is a small point I would like to make though. All this could have been avoided if it were not for GREED. All new builds could be sold for 50% of the asking price and the builder STILL make money (IMHO). All Estate agents could do the same (A £180,000 house at 1.5% fee is £2700 if it sold for £90,000 they would still make £1350) If we use YoY figures I bet that's a bigger fee than 2002/3, so their money has risen. Greedy basts want loads more though.

Unfortunately, I find it hard to sympathise with these greedy b******s - they have got what they deserve but there are so many other normal workers who are suffering. As far as I'm concerned this greed means their businesses are at risk - they got us in this mess and I believe they can get themselves out. If they can't be arsed dropping prices then let them rot on the dole!!!!

(AS far as the builders/working class people go - you have my full support - Good Luck to all of you)

[uote]I too am worried about recession, however, the silver lining is the Olympics which will suck capacity out of the industry for years leaving the regions under resourced.

What's the bet that the majority of builders working on the Olympics will turn out to be foreign workers working at a fraction of UK wages? I suspect that the building trade re the Olympics will, like the IT industry, be outsourced with the builders that get the main contracts bringing in workers from across the World.

Just to add the North Yorkshire input - my brother is a joiner and there is plenty of work, in fact he chooses to work 6/7 days a week because there is so much of it. He works, for as a subcontractor for a builder Mon-Fri and then does his own jobs on a weekend. he's also been able to increase his hourly rate 50% in the last 3 years.

Everywhere you look there are developments, small & large, good and bad, going up.

Just reiterates my beleif there is no crash. ............ er 0.1% fall by the bearish Hometrack ?? That'll be a crash then !!!!

Crash, my **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelly, I'm a plasterer too and I must say I'm not struggling at the moment. My bricklaying friend is finding the phone very quiet at the moment though. In general it is getting tight. I feel he's struggling as he worked as a subcontractor for a few firms over the last few years rather than spreading his good name far and wide. I'm based in west Leicestershire.