House Price Crash Forum
Annest

Aberystwyth

I know that it is unusual to have topics relating to one specific town, but, as all the estate agents and everyone in the area says "it's different in Aberystwyth", perhaps you'll forgive me for starting this topic.

People really believe that the recession does not apply to Aberystwyth (or at least only very mildly). And history seems to have proven them right. So what's so special about Aberystwyth? i have made an initial list:

- a student town - and a very high percentage of town residents are students and the number of students has risen annually in recent years (as with a lot of places)

- a strong community of scum landlords, described locally as the "Aberystwyth Maffia" who do things like advertise in prisons with slogans such as "pick up your benefits by the sea" and who import DSS, mainly from Birmingham

- the sea and the hills, meaning that geographically it is difficult to build more houses and that commuting only happens to the east of the town

- heavy traffic and rubbish public transport, meaning that most people really want to live in town and will pay extra to do so

- high turnover of people from London due to the existence of the university and the hospital - they arrive with London prices in mind

- a "Cardi" attitude - people from this area are famous in Wales for being tight-fisted and defensive and they therefore simply won't drop their prices!

- due to the hills around town and the sea, most houses have some kind of a nice view

- a belief that new jobs will come to the area with Welsh Government investment

- a snobby attitude to renting due to the local reputation of students and DSS

- a small tourist industry

So will prices decrease in the next few years? I believe so. Here are some of my reasons:

- average house prices are about 10 times average salaries (probably more)

- student numbers are likely to decline, and might decline sharply due to increase in fees and because students will decide to live at home while studying rather than travelling to the end of the line

- local people are getting more and more fed up with the state of the place and lack of Council action on many, many fronts

- the University is due to build 1,000 residential hall units in the next few years in order to cash in more on student BTL itself

- there is talk of planning permission for 2,000 more houses in the area

- when interest rates eventually rise, BTL landlords will be hit

I would be very, very interested in your opinions.

You make good and valid comments. I can't see Aber surviving a UK housing crash IMPO.

No, I can't see Aber surviving a UK housing crash either. But I've found a few more reasons why house prices have stayed so high so far:

- infestations - due to lack of housing and high number of people looking for rented properties, landlords don't have to make an effort to keep nasty bugs at bay. Tenants therefore find themselves living in infested properties with landlords who couldn't care less. Now that's an incentive to stretch to buy an overpriced but clean house!!

The Uni cuts will be interesting.

From what I heard Aber needs 9K per student fee per year to break even but the Assembly can only afford 4K. I hear rumours of departments closing and job cuts - all rumours at the moment of course.

The Uni cuts will be interesting.

From what I heard Aber needs 9K per student fee per year to break even but the Assembly can only afford 4K. I hear rumours of departments closing and job cuts - all rumours at the moment of course.

Indeed... interesting times ahead. There are quite a few rumours.