House Price Crash Forum
Annest

Nowhere To Rent!

Hello.

We are convinced that house prices will continue to fall and as we were unhappy in our house anyway, we have sold! Hurray, hurray! We have exchanged contracts so there's no going back and have 4 weeks until completion.

The problem is that we can't find anywhere to rent. Everything's either too small, too far away or already filled with students. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any tips on what to do about it? We're keeping an eye on all agencies and local papers, have put notes up in local shops, cafes etc and are asking everyone we know (and some unfortunate people we don't even know!)

Thanks for any advice!

Hello.

We are convinced that house prices will continue to fall and as we were unhappy in our house anyway, we have sold! Hurray, hurray! We have exchanged contracts so there's no going back and have 4 weeks until completion.

The problem is that we can't find anywhere to rent. Everything's either too small, too far away or already filled with students. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any tips on what to do about it? We're keeping an eye on all agencies and local papers, have put notes up in local shops, cafes etc and are asking everyone we know (and some unfortunate people we don't even know!)

Thanks for any advice!

Check out your local rental market before selling up?

Oops - too late.

Hello.

Thanks for any advice!

You just have to be less fussy when renting, that's just how it is.

It really depends upon what you mean by "too small"?

Check out your local rental market before selling up?

Oops - too late.

LOL. Don't worry - no regrets here! I'd rather move to another town or live in a caravan than continue to own our house!! :-)

You just have to be less fussy when renting, that's just how it is.

It really depends upon what you mean by "too small"?

By "too small" I mean a 2-bed flat for 5 people! :huh:

It's good advice about being less fussy when renting though. There's one house that is large enough and although pretty far away it would be possible. However, it is in a yucky state - dirty walls and carpets etc. What should we do? Could we ask them to paint it? Or should we take it and do some painting and cleaning work ourselves? I haven't rented since being a student and really don't feel that I know what I'm doing! :rolleyes:

Dude, dig deeper!

You're the one in a million who managed to sell, and now have the luxury of watching the carnage from the sidelines. Don't spoil the fun by being a cheapskate renter. Find the place you want and pay the price. No matter how expensive it'll still be a lot cheaper than seeing your equity get chewed up as house prices slide further.

Dude, dig deeper!

You're the one in a million who managed to sell, and now have the luxury of watching the carnage from the sidelines. Don't spoil the fun by being a cheapskate renter. Find the place you want and pay the price. No matter how expensive it'll still be a lot cheaper than seeing your equity get chewed up as house prices slide further.

You've really cheered me up! B) That's exactly what I'd like to do. Unfortunately, there are absolutely NO expensive choices!!! Not one!

There's one house that is large enough and although pretty far away it would be possible. However, it is in a yucky state - dirty walls and carpets etc. What should we do? Could we ask them to paint it? Or should we take it and do some painting and cleaning work ourselves? I haven't rented since being a student and really don't feel that I know what I'm doing! :rolleyes:

It might be possible to offer to redecorate and recarpet it for a small reduction on the rent perhaps? It's a win win situation for the tenant and the landlord.

I did the same thing as you - sold to rent (fell out of love with the flat and the area as well for financial reasons). Also had to be flexible in respect of rental property. Found a lovely 2 bed rental flat via a Housing Association. My compromise is that it is on the ground floor, which I didn't really want at the time - much easier to move furniture into though. :D

Good luck. :)

It might be possible to offer to redecorate and recarpet it for a small reduction on the rent perhaps? It's a win win situation for the tenant and the landlord.

I did the same thing as you - sold to rent (fell out of love with the flat and the area as well for financial reasons). Also had to be flexible in respect of rental property. Found a lovely 2 bed rental flat via a Housing Association. My compromise is that it is on the ground floor, which I didn't really want at the time - much easier to move furniture into though. :D

Good luck. :)

That's a good idea - I will definitely offer to redecorate, recarpet and do a few other things in exchange for a small reduction on the rent.

It's interesting that you found a place via a Housing Association. I thought it was only possible to get help from a Housing Association via the Council's list and that that was impossible unless you'd been made homeless? I wonder whether we would be able to get help that way??

That's a good idea - I will definitely offer to redecorate, recarpet and do a few other things in exchange for a small reduction on the rent.

It's interesting that you found a place via a Housing Association. I thought it was only possible to get help from a Housing Association via the Council's list and that that was impossible unless you'd been made homeless? I wonder whether we would be able to get help that way??

You don't say where in the country you are, but it's presumably a University town. It may have short-term rentals (i.e. basically the holiday cottage market) to tide you over. A lot of student rentals change over on July 1st (my daughter in Sheffield got caught up in this) so you may find that some more trickle onto the market over the next few weeks. May be a better option than being stuck in a location you don't want for 6 months minimum, even though the weekly rates are much higher....

Yes, It is certainly worth going to your local Housing Association websites and seeing if they have any private rental departments - I think the collective term is 'Intermediate Rent'.

You bypass any 'waiting lists' this way. My place is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and I am paying (close to?) the going private rate but my HA looks after tenants well and sorts out problems very quickly. I reported a faulty washer/dryer on the Saturday and it was replaced by Monday afternoon. :)

By "too small" I mean a 2-bed flat for 5 people! :huh:

It's good advice about being less fussy when renting though. There's one house that is large enough and although pretty far away it would be possible. However, it is in a yucky state - dirty walls and carpets etc. What should we do? Could we ask them to paint it? Or should we take it and do some painting and cleaning work ourselves? I haven't rented since being a student and really don't feel that I know what I'm doing! :rolleyes:

So ideally you need a 4 bed property then?

If you're where I think you are based upon your other posts, I can't find any property to let of any size except for student rooms.

I think you need to move :-(

Don't forget to protect the proceeds of your sale from bank default, inflation, currency devaluation and global financial collapse.

Yes. I'll have to learn more about these. So far, I have thought of the following steps:

- to protect against bank default, ensure that there's not too much money held by one bank (no more than the government will assure)

- to protect against inflation and currency devaluation, perhaps buy silver, perhaps put some money in an account that follows the rate of inflation (if they exist now...)

- to protect against global financial collapse, buy a lot of beans???

Was this what you had in mind? Grateful for advice.

You don't say where in the country you are, but it's presumably a University town. It may have short-term rentals (i.e. basically the holiday cottage market) to tide you over. A lot of student rentals change over on July 1st (my daughter in Sheffield got caught up in this) so you may find that some more trickle onto the market over the next few weeks. May be a better option than being stuck in a location you don't want for 6 months minimum, even though the weekly rates are much higher....

Yes, I suspect you're right but we can't wait that long - the stress is just too much!! :ph34r:

Yes, It is certainly worth going to your local Housing Association websites and seeing if they have any private rental departments - I think the collective term is 'Intermediate Rent'.

You bypass any 'waiting lists' this way. My place is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and I am paying (close to?) the going private rate but my HA looks after tenants well and sorts out problems very quickly. I reported a faulty washer/dryer on the Saturday and it was replaced by Monday afternoon. :)

I will definitely check this out tomorrow although when I talked to a local housing association some time ago they didn't mention this...

make sure you it's adequate recompense for your tiem and effort.

congrats on the sale

Thanks. Good point - I'm tempted to do a House-Doctor-ish makeover on a house that I intend to stay in for 6 months... maybe a bit silly!

So ideally you need a 4 bed property then?

If you're where I think you are based upon your other posts, I can't find any property to let of any size except for student rooms.

I think you need to move :-(

I know! Thanks for trying to do some research for me! I'm touched! :)

I would get some storage. Pack everything for long term storage that you dont need for the next 6-12 months and stick it in storage.

Take whatever you can for now, doesnt sound like you have the luxury of time, and preferably whatever is cheapest.

I would look for a 6 month contract or a 12 with a 6 month break clause.

Keep your eyes and ears open for something that you do want to live in and get it when it comes up.

Good luck, I dread the day that the LL wants this place back and we have to find somewhere else.

Good luck, I dread the day that the LL wants this place back and we have to find somewhere else.

It might work out OK. I'm in that situation right now but am getting a reduced rate for the inconvenience and uncertainty (my landlord has agreed to start that now and hasn't even got around to putting the house on the market yet). If it takes ages to sell, which is quite likely at the moment (he's already tried to sell it once, at just before the peak) I could do quite nicely out of it. The uncertainty is a little annoying though, as is everything else I've looked at, could afford, and like involves a horrible drive to work, but hopefully by the time I've got to go decent stuff nearby will have dropped.

Right... have been on a rollercoaster for the last week or so... and the journey is far from coming to an end...

As a synopsis...

- agreed to take a small house far away

- 23 hours before we were due to meet landlord to sign contract and pick up keys, were offered a large house with a spectacular view in a perfect location and immediately agreed, signed contract, got keys, paid first rent

- spent days clearing rubbish out, cleaning etc but weren't allowed to get rid of landlord's stuff :unsure:

- found clothes moth infestation and pest control are due to sort it tomorrow :(

- landlord's agent is lovely (I knew him already). Landlord's attitude is that he is doing us a favour by letting us have his house (even though we are paying market rate).

- woke up this morning with a clear case of scabies. :blink: (I know this usually takes about 6 weeks to show itself but the truth is that I had this before when I was a student and apparently it appears within days if it's not the first time the body's encountered it ever).

- an agency is advertising another house that may be appropriate albeit small but don't know what to do about it. I wouldn't be surprised if that house has it's problems as well and if I switched the only result would be losing a friend (the landlord's agent), getting a smaller house, having to start cleaning another house again....

I am at my wits end. Perhaps it is true that "I am not cut out for renting" but really, who is if this is the kind of thing people have to put up with? :o

Loads of people in these countries have no idea what poverty looks like. It's nothing to do with not being able to afford the best things. It is about being treated like **** by landlords, being excluded from society because of disease, pests, shame etc. :ph34r: It makes me insane with anger. :angry:

Thanks for listening. :)

- woke up this morning with a clear case of scabies. :blink: (I know this usually takes about 6 weeks to show itself but the truth is that I had this before when I was a student and apparently it appears within days if it's not the first time the body's encountered it ever).

I correct myself. I went to the doctor and it seems that what I had was an allergic reaction i.e. hives and it seems that that's what I had years ago as well.

A very nice man from a cleaning company came over to give me a quote to do the whole house. He was disgusted. He found an enormous ancient battery (about a foot square) in a cupboard and explained that it was dangerous and that that's probably why I had had an allergic reaction. Any advice other than 'get rid'????

Thanks!

Loads of people in these countries have no idea what poverty looks like. It's nothing to do with not being able to afford the best things. It is about being treated like **** by landlords, being excluded from society because of disease, pests, shame etc. :ph34r: It makes me insane with anger. :angry:

Good analogy. :)

Annest, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced. The new landlord seems like a right self-righteous sod. :angry:

There are decent landlords out there. I'm now in my 2nd ever rental and both were in a good state of repair...although admittedly both were newly refurbished before I moved in.