House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

Benefit Cap: Coalition Policy To Impose £26,000 Limit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13741743

The legislation to impose a £26,000 limit that a family can receive in annual benefits enters its final stages in the Commons on Monday 13 June. It enjoys Conservative support but not all Liberal Democrats are behind it.

David Cameron has repeated his determination to impose the cap in a bid to tackle the 'dependency culture'.

Adam Fleming recalls George Osborne's speech to the Conservative Party Conference and spoke to Liberal Democrat MP Jenny Willott, Lord German and welfare reform minister Lord Freud.

Lol. £26 grand?

That's a gross income of £35 grand, which is 20% more than the average male wage, and nearly 50% more than the average female wage, if we are to believe the stats.

LOL.jpg

Man, what a sh1t country this place is. Ridiculous.

Time to dig out one of my favourites:

Meet the Scummers

George Osborne hit out at a system which allowed a single out-of-work household to claim benefits amounting to the tax bills of 16 working families put together.

One such tribe is that of jobless Pete and Sam Smith and their ten children - who rake in an astonishing £95,000 a year in benefits and stand to lose 70% of their income. While the average working family pay for housing and bills from their hard-earned wages, the Smiths get to live in a rent free four-bedroom house in Kingswood, Bristol.

They even have breakfast delivered to the door each morning courtesy of the taxpayer. Yet they claim their accommodation is 'cramped' and the food is not good enough.

Mr Smith, 40, left the Army in 2001 to care for his now 36-year-old wife, who has curvature of the spine. At the time they had three children - they now have ten aged from four months to 14 years.

The average family household income is nearly £35,000 a year - on which around £6,000 tax would be paid. The Smiths are given 16 times this figure in benefits.

The Chancellor announced that no household will receive more than the average national income - £25,000 - in benefits.

That 70% cut in income is something Mrs Smith cannot bear to think about. 'It's not really that much money we get,' she said of her current handouts.

joblesscouple1_203x150.jpg

Edited by cashinmattress

26 grand ?, how do they cope ?

I assume this £26k is take home,

If you take pension contributions into account, it's more like a £40k salary.

What about non cash benefits, they are often forgotten about, and add up to a large sum too. A nice subsidised council house is the big one of course, but not forgetting free school meals. The cap should take into account these benefits too. And this should be just a stop gap until we change to a citizens income, with no child related benefits.

To repeat what all others have said...

26K! 26 bloody K!

Benefits should be a last resort, pegged to (barely) keep you ticking over when you're in strife!

Not equate to near the average national wage!

Son of a b.....

Hmmm. Comes into effect in 2013.

Only applies to the unemployed, so single mums doing their 16hrs per week will have full entitlements. Does it definitely cover housing benefit? Child tax credits?

The system is such a mess. Certain people do need benefits, but the glaring thing is that the necessary benefits are way beyond the net earnings of average people. Through the looking glass.

It'll cover all families including HB and benefits ... Making it make sense to downgrade housing to get more cash for the fags and booze maybe.

BUT I think there are exemptions for kids with "disabilities".

They count tartrazine induced behaviour as a disability so ms average scummer and her brood of seven kids will still screw you well over as there will be at least one kid needing extra benefits and one needing disability freebie car.

To repeat what all others have said...

26K! 26 bloody K!

Benefits should be a last resort, pegged to (barely) keep you ticking over when you're in strife!

Not equate to near the average national wage!

Son of a b.....

its actually not that much when you consider how high hb payments are.

unfortunately if ticking over means a roof over your head and access to utilities then 26k will just about do the trick.

Edited by Milkshock

unfortunately if ticking over means a roof over your head and access to utilities then 26k will just about do the trick.

What planet do you live on?

How is it that being gifted more than the national average wage for doing absolutely nothing is 'not that much'?

Do you write for the onion as well?

I don't agree with the £26k cap.

I'm more than happy for some families to be claiming £100k+ whilst I earn £10k.

Benefits are effectively a negative income tax.

We should have say £5k per person cap. With every person having a £10k tax threshold.

Parents to children, could then earn more money without being taxed.

As it stands, they are taxed and the money is given back in benefits. All this does is create work disincentives.

The more kids you have, the more benefits you should get in times of need, but you should also be able to earn more without being taxed.

Housing benefit should be treat separately, and council housing built, we should not be housing people at great expensive in the private sector. We can build plenty of affordable housing on state land. We needn't be paying £400 a week to house people and enrich landlords.

I don't agree with the £26k cap.

I'm more than happy for some families to be claiming £100k+ whilst I earn £10k.

Benefits are effectively a negative income tax.

We should have say £5k per person cap. With every person having a £10k tax threshold.

Parents to children, could then earn more money without being taxed.

As it stands, they are taxed and the money is given back in benefits. All this does is create work disincentives.

The more kids you have, the more benefits you should get in times of need, but you should also be able to earn more without being taxed.

Housing benefit should be treat separately, and council housing built, we should not be housing people at great expensive in the private sector. We can build plenty of affordable housing on state land. We needn't be paying £400 a week to house people and enrich landlords.

Maybe there should be a family tax threshold/allowance....so instead of each having £10k if one or more not working the tax free allowance can be transferred to the working members of the family. ;)

Perhaps in London.. every where else you don't have to take home more than the average pre-tax salary to survive.

Around here a four bed house to rent is £700pm. £8400 pa.

Food: 3000 pa

Council tax: Paid

Utilities: £1500 pa

Clothes/necessities: £1000 pa

£13,900. Nobody should need more than £15k benefits to survive.. and that's at the top end. You could probably survive on significantly less.

I notice that you're located in London.

Makes quite a difference that.

Breed for Benefits is the only way forward.

My advice to young women has been to just go and breed. Our country needs more young people. And something important is in 40 years is anyone going to remember Josie the office assistant manager? Nope the company likely won't even exist. But if she has a bunch of grandchildren they will remember, grandma Josie.

Are we going to see cuts on MPs expenses? they should be working for the average wage and it should be a honour to work for the state.

Yet they keep attacking the poor who pay more in taxes and have been persecuted like dogs for tha past 30 years.

I notice that you're located in London.

Makes quite a difference that.

yes in london i think rent on a 2 bed is going to cost you 1k as an average pcm.

food and utilities should be the same as everywhere else

transport i have no idea about - possibly out of london you will rely more on a car which is going to be expensive.

yes in london i think rent on a 2 bed is going to cost you 1k as an average pcm.

Might be a bit less than that, if it wasn't for all the benefits being given away like smarties.

"Benefit Cap: Coalition Policy To Impose £26,000 Limit"

Thinly disguised

"Immigrants please come to the UK where you can have benefits many times your income where you live and work now. Then we can keep our prole wages down and have more housing problems"