House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Car Insurance Question

My car insurance expires in mid-July and my tax disc at the end of July. I am going to be out of the country from around 4-5 days after the insurance runs out until early September. It seems silly to pay an extra month's tax and insurance when the car is going to be sitting in my garage for all that time, and so I was wondering about trying to renew my insurance, but with the replacement policy to start on the day I get back; and to do a SORN declaration when the tax disc runs out and buy another one on my return. I'm wondering whether this would be worth the hassle, specifically on the following points.

1. I seem to remember a news story a few months ago about a new law that made it compulsory to insure your car, even if it's off the road. Can't find anything obvious about it from a quick Google search. Does anyone know if this is true? Am I committing an offence having my car uninsured even if it's locked in a garage at the bottom of my garden (i.e. 10 metres from the nearest public highway)?

2. The Directgov page on SORNs states that you have to submit one if you're going to leave your car untaxed, but doesn't mention anything about insurance. If I am legally allowed to leave my car off the public highway and uninsured, will the existence of a SORN on the DVLA's database prevent my car's number plate flagging up on their system as uninsured and thus triggering legal action against me?

3. Has anyone tried to do this before (leave a car untaxed and uninsured while abroad for an extended period), and found it to be either worth doing or too much hassle? I reckon that it would probably save me £50-60 in total; enough to investigate the feasibility but not enough to get sucked into a bureaucratic nightmare.

Many thanks in advance.

My car insurance expires in mid-July and my tax disc at the end of July. I am going to be out of the country from around 4-5 days after the insurance runs out until early September. It seems silly to pay an extra month's tax and insurance when the car is going to be sitting in my garage for all that time, and so I was wondering about trying to renew my insurance, but with the replacement policy to start on the day I get back; and to do a SORN declaration when the tax disc runs out and buy another one on my return. I'm wondering whether this would be worth the hassle, specifically on the following points.

1. I seem to remember a news story a few months ago about a new law that made it compulsory to insure your car, even if it's off the road. Can't find anything obvious about it from a quick Google search. Does anyone know if this is true? Am I committing an offence having my car uninsured even if it's locked in a garage at the bottom of my garden (i.e. 10 metres from the nearest public highway)?

2. The Directgov page on SORNs states that you have to submit one if you're going to leave your car untaxed, but doesn't mention anything about insurance. If I am legally allowed to leave my car off the public highway and uninsured, will the existence of a SORN on the DVLA's database prevent my car's number plate flagging up on their system as uninsured and thus triggering legal action against me?

3. Has anyone tried to do this before (leave a car untaxed and uninsured while abroad for an extended period), and found it to be either worth doing or too much hassle? I reckon that it would probably save me £50-60 in total; enough to investigate the feasibility but not enough to get sucked into a bureaucratic nightmare.

Many thanks in advance.

"The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty"

Link

The penalty will be issued automatically by computer to the keeper of any non-SORNed vehicle which is taxed or untaxed but is showing as uninsured on the MIB database. If it's untaxed as well, the keeper will risk TWO fines.

It doesn't matter if the car is locked up in a barn or even dismantled into hundreds of pieces but not officially scrapped..

If you need to cover a temporary gap in insurance, you could always take out a policy and cancel within the 2 week cooling off period as long as you make the SORN declaration at the same time or earlier.

I did this once using the AA insurance brokerage and got 100% refund of premium.

Thanks. So if I submit a SORN effective from the day my insurance runs out, arrange for my new insurance policy to begin on the day I return, let the tax disc expire without renewing and then buy a new one immediately I get back, I should be legit?

Thanks. So if I submit a SORN effective from the day my insurance runs out, arrange for my new insurance policy to begin on the day I return, let the tax disc expire without renewing and then buy a new one immediately I get back, I should be legit?

As long as you don't drive it on the road after the SORN declaration date. Remember ANPR !

Thanks. I haven't worked out the exact date of my outward flight yet, but it's likely to be within 3-4 days of the insurance expiring at most. It shouldn't be too much hassle not to use the car during that time.

Many thanks in advance.

Well, a few years ago I SORNed my car for a while and it was no problem. Just tick the SORN box on the tax renewal form and hand it into the Post Office. When you want to unSORN just go to the Post Office with the V5, insurance, MOT and appropriate amount of zlotys.