House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FrozenOut

Peter Schiff

I thought he'd moved to a subscription service.. do you have a link to all his archives?

He charges people to tell them to "Buy gold!"

Cheeky bugger.

He charges people to tell them to "Buy gold, mining and foreign stocks!"

Cheeky bugger.

Adjusted to give him slightly more credit.

All three of those calls have been pretty good, but even as a non-goldbug I did used to enjoy his market commentary when he ran Schiff radio.. he always has an interesting take on current events

Adjusted to give him slightly more credit.

All three of those calls have been pretty good, but even as a non-goldbug I did used to enjoy his market commentary when he ran Schiff radio.. he always has an interesting take on current events

Ok, he charges people to tell them to "Buy gold, mining and foreign stocks"?

Depends. Gold stocks got obliterated relative to SPX for instance during the crash and along with gold have performed more or less in line with SPX since then (unless you bought at the depths of the lows in '08). Ditto emerging market stocks.

So for the last couple of years at least that isn't really the case.

Schiff makes the point near the start that the BoE claims that raising rates to fight inflation would jeopardise the recovery. He says that's wrong and by not raising rates and by not fighting inflation they're jeopardising the recovery.

Even the BoE would have agreed with him when they took over the job from government and upto some time before the start of the bust, that was one of the reasons they were given the job - but they've conveniently changed stance now.

Edited by billybong

Schiff makes the point near the start that the BoE claims that raising rates to fight inflation would jeopardise the recovery. He says that's wrong and by not raising rates and by not fighting inflation they're jeopardising the recovery.

Even the BoE would have agreed with him when they took over the job from government and upto some time before the start of the bust, that was one of the reasons they were given the job - but they've conveniently changed stance now.

Indeed. One might ask 'what recovery'

Let me fiddle about with the inflation stats and im sure i could 'prove' a recovery in GDP that the BBC would unquestioningly support in their usual gleeful manner.

he doesn't grasp our 1000 years of political stability, our proles will take the high inflation in ways that other countries wouldn't stand for, imho(same goes for gilt and bond holders, apparently too)

Edited by Si1

I note that his run for Senate bombed (and in Connecticut to). Food for thought.

He did pretty well for an outsider nobody had heard of..

How many people in the UK would stump up $2m out of their own back pocket to support a politician?!

Schiff officially announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination on September 17, 2009, during the MSNBC Morning Joe show. By October 2009 Schiff had received more than 10,000 telephone calls and letters and raised over $1,960,000 (USD) in campaign contributions.

In July 2010, Schiff's campaign received endorsements from Steve Forbes and Ron Paul.

In the Republican primary, held on August 10, 2010, Schiff lost the nomination to Linda McMahon.

The results were:[80]

49% Linda McMahon

28% Rob Simmons

23% Peter Schiff

How many people in the UK would stump up $2m out of their own back pocket to support a politician?!

BS... He was well known in CT. I lived in RI for fourteen years until last December and he was always in the news for a number of years (including CNBC and Fox). Hardly an unknown. He talks his own book like Rogers.

BS... He was well known in CT. I lived in RI for fourteen years until last December and he was always in the news for a number of years (including CNBC and Fox). Hardly an unknown. He talks his own book like Rogers.

I'd have been amazed if more than 10% had heard of him. Your average Jo usually doesn't pay much attention to small time economists. That said, if you're from Rhode Island and you say he was well known I'll bow to your better judgement.

He certainly does talk his book, but he's also made some spur of the moment trades.. such as shorting the financials in 2007.

He rubs a lot of people up the wrong way because he's a smug git who's always right. Thing is though.. he really hasn't been wrong yet, though I guess pride comes before a fall.

49% Linda McMahon

McMahon = wwe

unlimited funds and media 'friends'

Listen to his post-defeat video blog and he quotes his recognition numbers (iirc). He did indeed go from unknown to to highly recognised. I presume this was his goal this time round, with a view to the next election. His advisers couldn't possibly have told him he could win.