House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Summer Snow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13731216

The summit of Snowdon under a white blanket of snow: it's a picture postcard cliche.

But if you thought this photograph was taken in the dark days of winter then think again.

The wintry scene, at the Snowdon Mountain Railway's terminus near Hafod Eryri, was photographed at 1300 BST on Friday - in the middle of June, days before the start of Wimbledon and just over a week before the summer solstice.

Around the UK this week counties have been declaring drought conditions after one of warmest and driest springs in memory. Parts of Wales, too, have been experiencing very dry weather.

No wonder, then, that there was an element of surprise among those working and walking at the top of Wales' highest mountain.

"It started hailing around lunchtime, then it snowed for about an hour," said Jonathan Tyler, manager of Snowdon Mountain Railway's visitor centre at the summit of the mountain.

"It wasn't cold, but people were arriving at the summit looking quite bemused. It was summer at the bottom of the mountain and winter at the top."

Given the vagaries of the Welsh weather and Snowdon's 1085m (3560ft) altitude, experts say such climatic contrasts are to be expected from time to time.

Continue reading the main story

"It's not common but it's not unheard of," said BBC Wales weather presenter Behnaz Akhgar.

"We are going through a little bit of a cold spell at the moment, with temperatures of 12-13C when the average temperature for this time of year is 18-19C.

"It looks like heavy showers on top of the mountain dragged down colder air and into that came sleet, hail and, yes, even snow."

Ms Akhgar warned hillwalkers in north Wales to check weather forecasts before setting out.

We had a lovely warm spring, but the last month has been cold. Has anyone else had to put the central heating on this month? I have had to, a move unprecedented in the Miyagi household in summers before.

Guest eight

Last night coming back from work at 22:00 it was 6 (six) degrees on the car thermometer.

Global warming, load of rubbish etc.

Maybe volcanoes ? I think it has been cold recently.

You fool! Know ye not the profound difference between weather and climate? (at least this is what somebody always says to me when I raise a similar point......)

You fool! Know ye not the profound difference between weather and climate? (at least this is what somebody always says to me when I raise a similar point......)

I know the difference between climate and weather.

It's climate when it's something they want to hear, and weather when it isn't.

We had a lovely warm spring, but the last month has been cold. Has anyone else had to put the central heating on this month? I have had to, a move unprecedented in the Miyagi household in summers before.

We've had miserable weather for ages. A few nice days back in April, and one a week ago. Can probably count on one hand the number of days this year that have gone above 20.

Please join me with a festive plate of Whelks! :blink:

I walked Pen y Fan in March (not that high/tough, but following a long back problem for me). Wife & I took a packed lunch and for a few minutes we were the only people on the peak (it's a large flat area). Very nice experience. From the peak in all directions you could see people ascending/descending - especially since it's used for SAS selection (and people self train by running up and down it before putting forwards for selection).

Personally, I find it uplifting that these people aren't sitting at home watching SkyTV or X-factor,etc

Hopefully I'm going to make it up to Bike Park Wales in the next couple of weeks http://www.bikeparkwales.com/, it's only 10 miles or so up the road. I'm dying to try out my new Specialized Enduro on the purpose built trails.

So much more to do in life than watch telly, although I will admit to having a penchant for the early stages in X Factor :D