House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Woman Inspector 'humiliated' By Failing Riot Test Wins Up To £30K

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002610/Woman-inspector-humiliated-failing-riot-test-wins-30k.html

For 30 years it has been used to test the fitness of officers who police riots and other outbreaks of serious public disorder.

The so-called 'shield run' involves officers covering a distance of 500 metres in less than two minutes, 45 seconds while wearing full riot gear and carrying a shield.

But when Inspector Diane Bamber, 51, failed to meet the time limit, she claimed she had been left humiliated.

She brought a sex and age discrimination case against her force, Greater Manchester Police, and now stands to win up to £30,000 after an employment tribunal ruled in her favour.

She complained to the tribunal that prior to the course starting she had been led to believe that she would not have to take part in the shield run. But on the day of the test, Insp Bamber was informed that all officers who wanted to be considered for events where trouble was a possibility would have to pass it.

She agreed to run but she did not finish in the allotted time. Her failure meant she could not complete the rest of the training course.

When Insp Bamber applied to retake the shield run, it is alleged that one of her colleagues remarked: 'She's got no f****** chance.'

In fact she did pass at the second attempt several months later – after Greater Manchester Police made it easier by raising the time limit to three minutes.

The tribunal heard that on the second occasion, Insp Bamber gave herself the equivalent of an extra 20 seconds by starting at the front of the group. Previously, she had started at the back but the clock starts when the first person sets off.

In her ruling, Judge Hilary Slater said Insp Bamber's claims of indirect sex and age discrimination were 'well-founded'.

This is just nuts, although complicated if she was indeed told she wouldn't have to do it or did she just delude herself that she wouldn't have to do it? However how fit was she when she initially did the test?

How many people are doing this test that if you start at the back you lose 20 seconds?

Still it's only money.

The rioters will not care that this elderly woman does not have the strength to raise her shield against incoming bricks. If she cannot meet the required standards, then she must be rejected, not because she is old or a woman, but because she is crap at the job. Perhaps she hopes that the attacking skinheads will so bemused by the sight of this little old lady in combat armour that they will run away in confusion.

In these situations it is not only about the individual because the individual is part of the team. When you are knocked down and being kicked, you want someone covering your back that can get them off you. The qualities required are those of the rugby player or the nightclub doorman. It is not a time for talk.

good girl, we need more like her so the revolution will happen.

and 6.2mph for 3 mins, carrying a dumbell and wearing boots. not exactly difficult.

My guess is there's more to this than meets the eye. The conservatives pretty much want to remove the right for working class people to bring a tribunal in any case (even valid ones - they are such a frightful bore for employers) I guess the middle class are okay for now...

The usual misleading stuff.

The course itself was voluntary, not part of every police officers duties.

She's signed up to the course based on misrepresentation - i.e. she asked if the run was part of it and they said no.

She arrives on he course, and the run is mandatory.

Presumably she wouldn't have been there if they had said yes originally, so someone either intentionally mislead her in order to make her look bad or someone was clueless and negligent.

Watertight case.

The usual misleading stuff.

It would be interesting to know the whole story.

I'm not exactly sure why she wants £30k from us.. did she lose a years earnings as a result? Did she suffer emotional trauma? It sounds like she made her point in the end after all! (Even if they did have to add 30 seconds and give her a head start).

?

Some admin droid gives the wrong answer to a simple question.

She turns up, is surprised, but agrees to give it a go anyway, and fails.

RTU'd, presumably.

Then she sues?

How nuts is that?

And, only for £30k.... the only people who win in this are the lawyers.

In her ruling, Judge Hilary Slater said Insp Bamber's claims of indirect sex and age discrimination were 'well-founded'.

Well, everyone looks after their own....

I'm not exactly sure why she wants £30k from us.. did she lose a years earnings as a result? Did she suffer emotional trauma? It sounds like she made her point in the end after all! (Even if they did have to add 30 seconds and give her a head start).

You would hope there is more to this than is being printed and the papers are spinning good copy.

The rioters will not care that this elderly woman does not have the strength to raise her shield against incoming bricks. If she cannot meet the required standards, then she must be rejected, not because she is old or a woman, but because she is crap at the job. Perhaps she hopes that the attacking skinheads will so bemused by the sight of this little old lady in combat armour that they will run away in confusion.

In these situations it is not only about the individual because the individual is part of the team. When you are knocked down and being kicked, you want someone covering your back that can get them off you. The qualities required are those of the rugby player or the nightclub doorman. It is not a time for talk.

Perhaps all of those that "fail" but still pass should be put together in their own separately unit, then they may realise the importance of being able to complete these sort of tasks successfully.

GHome_08a.jpg

If you where in a nightclub would want someone like this being the bouncer?

And the thing is that if she had been exempted from this test, sent to Ibrox Park on the afternoon of a Celtic/Rangers match and ended up in a wheelchair as a result, she'd probably have sued her employers for negligence on the grounds that they shouldn't have put her in that situation without taking steps to ensure that she was competent to deal with it. What next - my granny suing the MoD because they won't let her fight in Afghanistan?!

But when Inspector Diane Bamber, 51, failed to meet the time limit, she claimed she had been left humiliated.

I was forced to take part in an egg and spoon race in 1971, which still haunts me to this day. Is there by any chance a lawyer in the house?

This is just nuts, although complicated if she was indeed told she wouldn't have to do it or did she just delude herself that she wouldn't have to do it? However how fit was she when she initially did the test?

How many people are doing this test that if you start at the back you lose 20 seconds?

Still it's only public money.

Clarification.

Humiliation is fun though!

And in the end should make you stronger...

http://www.iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-grown-man-cries-before-tandem-skydive/

http://www.iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-women-freaks-out-on-tandem-exit/

This is one of the many reasons I love skydiving. I get to see this on a weekly basis! :D

Humiliation is fun though!

And in the end should make you stronger...

http://www.iloveskyd...tandem-skydive/

http://www.iloveskyd...on-tandem-exit/

This is one of the many reasons I love skydiving. I get to see this on a weekly basis! :D

I suppose it is pretty natural as well ? Look at the animal kingdom. Any debate is usually settled by the two parties having a face off - physical or mental - with one eventually giving in and walking away with their tail between their legs. Usually in front of members of opposite sex - to show clearly who the 'winner' and who the 'loser' are.

I suppose it is pretty natural as well ? Look at the animal kingdom. Any debate is usually settled by the two parties having a face off - physical or mental - with one eventually giving in and walking away with their tail between their legs. Usually in front of members of opposite sex - to show clearly who the 'winner' and who the 'loser' are.

That's because animals don't do logic or science.

Luckily us humans can find out the actual right answers, which apply to everyone regardless of their social status.

You might want to try it sometime. :)

+1

Surely as an adult professional officer an apology from the Organisers would suffice?

+1

Surely as an adult professional officer an apology from the Organisers would suffice?

She should consider herself lucky that in the time allotted she didn't have to cosh the life out of a newspaper seller too.

That's because animals don't do logic or science.

Luckily us humans can find out the actual right answers, which apply to everyone regardless of their social status.

You might want to try it sometime. :)

Who has been around longer and who will be around longer ? Us or animals ?

Logic and science and the rest of it is very interesting. I really love hearing all about it. However in the end it is fairly futile. The animals keep it simple and keep it smart. They are better than us and they are ultimatley smarter than us - however much the opposite it may seem.

LIfe is ultimately about survival. And when it comes to that - 'animals' piss all over us.

The end. ;)

Logic and science and the rest of it is very interesting. I really love hearing all about it. However in the end it is fairly futile. The animals keep it simple and keep it smart. They are better than us and they are ultimatley smarter than us - however much the opposite it may seem.

LIfe is ultimately about survival. And when it comes to that - 'animals' piss all over us.

The end. ;)

You are trying to use facts and evidence and the scientific method to prove to me that facts and evidence and the scientific method don't work.

Erm, what?

The end. ;)

We are a species of animal. You may as well ask who's been around longer - daisies or plants?

Other species of animals keep it simple and mostly suffer nasty, brutish, and short lives. Give me human complexity, even if it's not been good enough to stop a lot of humans from also living nasty, brutish and short lives. If you going to argue mere continuity of existence then rocks do even better than anything living.

You are trying to use facts and evidence and the scientific method to prove to me that facts and evidence and the scientific method don't work.

Erm, what?

Erm - I am right. :D

We are a species of animal. You may as well ask who's been around longer - daisies or plants?

Other species of animals keep it simple and mostly suffer nasty, brutish, and short lives. Give me human complexity, even if it's not been good enough to stop a lot of humans from also living nasty, brutish and short lives. If you going to argue mere continuity of existence then rocks do even better than anything living.

Erm - yes that is my entire point. ;)

Unlike so many other people out there who think we are special or more intelligent than 'animals' out there. IMO that is nonsense.

As for complexity - we just think we are smarter because we can do certain things they cannot. The problem being many of the things that we do that we think are 'smart' - are actually leading to our own demise.

Rather than thinking we are smart - I just think we are complicated.

And I don't think comparing us to rocks is a fair comparison. They are not sentient beings.

The rioters will not care that this elderly woman does not have the strength to raise her shield against incoming bricks. If she cannot meet the required standards, then she must be rejected, not because she is old or a woman, but because she is crap at the job. Perhaps she hopes that the attacking skinheads knife wielding, brick throwing 'Asian youths' will so bemused by the sight of this little old lady in combat armour that they will run away in confusion.

The key to survival in a real riot is holding the line, making sure that your shield stays attached to the ones either side of you. If a crowd breaks the line then there is a weak spot that they can get through, somewhere the crowd can grab and attack you.

I should imagine that this old dear would be in a line of one because no one with an ounce of sense would stand next to her. Same goes for anyone short that makes an obvious weak point target for the crowd.