House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruffneck

Imf Hit By 'very Major' Cyber Security Attack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13740591

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says it has been targeted by a sophisticated cyber attack.

Officials at the fund gave few details but said the attack earlier this year had been "a very major breach" of its systems, the New York Times reports.

Cyber security officials said the hack was designed to install software to create a "digital insider presence".

The IMF, which holds sensitive economic data about many countries, said its operations were fully functional.

The cyber attack took place over several months, and happened before former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested over sexual assault charges.

"I can confirm that we are investigating an incident," said spokesman David Hawley.

"I am not in a position to elaborate further on the extent of the cyber security incident."

The New York Times said IMF staff had been told of the intrusion on Wednesday by e-mail, but that the Fund had not made a public announcement.

The e-mail warned that "suspicious file transfers" had been detected and that an investigation had shown a desktop at the Fund had been "compromised and used to access some Fund systems".

There was "no reason to believe that any personal information was sought for fraud purposes," it said.

High profile breaches

A cyber security expert told Reuters the infiltration had been a targeted attack, which installed software designed to give a nation state a "digital insider presence" at the IMF.

"The code was developed and released for this purpose," said Tom Kellerman, who has worked for the Fund.

Bloomberg quoted an unnamed security expert as saying the hackers were connected to a foreign government - however such attacks are very difficult to trace.

The World Bank said it briefly cut its network connection with the Fund out "an abundance of caution".

"The World Bank Group, like any other large organisation, is increasingly aware of potential threats to the security of our information system and we are constantly working to improve our defences," said spokesman Rich Mills.

The incident is the latest in a string of high profile cyber security breaches.

In April, the Sony Playstation network was shut down after hackers stole the personal data of about 100 million accounts and in May, US defence firm Lockheed Martin said it had come under a significant cyber-attack.

CIA Director Leon Panetta told the US Congress earlier this week that a large-scale cyber attack while would cripples power, finance, security and governmental systems was "a real possibility in today's world".

Is your subheading serious? God, I hate conspiracy theories "let's make an unprovable assertion and incorporate any later evidence that seems to contradict it to ramp up the depth of the conspiracy."

Given the IMF would be an obvious target, why assume something more complex? Don't get me wrong - I would be surprised if someone doesn't try to make a claim for greater control over the internet based on this - but wouldn't it be better to fight such a call on the basis of what we actually know rather than an unprovable hypothesis?

Guest eight

Is your subheading serious? God, I hate conspiracy theories "let's make an unprovable assertion and incorporate any later evidence that seems to contradict it to ramp up the depth of the conspiracy."

Given the IMF would be an obvious target, why assume something more complex? Don't get me wrong - I would be surprised if someone doesn't try to make a claim for greater control over the internet based on this - but wouldn't it be better to fight such a call on the basis of what we actually know rather than an unprovable hypothesis?

Are you serious? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is fabricated and the only reason it got published is for the reasons he speculates.

eight

Are you serious? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is fabricated and the only reason it got published is for the reasons he speculates.

eight

It's not about surprise, it's about available evidence. What they do in clear sight is bad enough - why make a case for action based on the unprovable? You want to hear my conspiracy theory? That conspiracy theories are all invented by the illuminati to tar by association anyone who questions authority. It's just as plausible, just as unprovable and just as pointless.

It's not about surprise, it's about available evidence. What they do in clear sight is bad enough - why make a case for action based on the unprovable? You want to hear my conspiracy theory? That conspiracy theories are all invented by the illuminati to tar by association anyone who questions authority. It's just as plausible, just as unprovable and just as pointless.

Because they can and it provides ever greater control for the 'stuff that is in clear sight'.

When you have cover ups over the reasons we went into war with Iraq and Blair can walk away unscathed from selling honours for cash do you still really doubt that those that would rule over us do not pull the wool over our eyes?

I am not committing one way or the other on the Kelly issue but just for a moment given the controversy surrounding this case and that fact that support for re-opening the inquest is from a panel of medical doctors (who question the evidence) and that there would appear to be unanswered questions wouldn't the easiest thing to have done was re-open the inquest? After if there is nothing to hide then it gets to the bottom of it with a verdict once and for all.

Trust them not to take the easy decision though so the theories remain unproven as does the official account and we are all still pretty much in the dark. The thing will rumble on and there will always still be a question of doubt as to the official version as the natural order of events (in such cases) has been 'interfered with'.

Trust them not to take the easy decision though so the theories remain unproven as does the official account and we are all still pretty much in the dark.

But it never gets proven - and meanwhile it just serves as a distraction from the known. Do I think Kelly was murdered? No. If he was murdered, would it make any difference to my opinion about those who prosecuted the war? No.

Take a look at the Obama 'birther' nonsense. Have the claims stopped because the certificate has been released? No, it just upped the conspiracy theory to another level. It's the same with all of them - they never end, they just co-opt any new evidence.

But it never gets proven - and meanwhile it just serves as a distraction from the known. Do I think Kelly was murdered? No. If he was murdered, would it make any difference to my opinion about those who prosecuted the war? No.

Take a look at the Obama 'birther' nonsense. Have the claims stopped because the certificate has been released? No, it just upped the conspiracy theory to another level. It's the same with all of them - they never end, they just co-opt any new evidence.

Not just in politics - the Turin Shroud believers / deniers are both adept at re-interpreting any evidence that comes to light, even though the Catholic hiearchy (not a body of individuals forwhom I normally have great respect!) say firmly that in 1988 Pope John Paul II stressed the Church does not regard the shroud’s authenticity as a matter of Christian faith

Conspiracy stuff like 9/11, JFK and moon landings is a hoax!!111 are all pursued to avoid the massively more obvious stuff that government gets up to.

In a roundabout way they affirm the right of the governments in question to rule and do all the much more eveil stuff they do every single day.

In any case, didn't some hacker group say they would be targetting banksters and "the bernank" a few months ago?

Do I think Kelly was murdered? No.

I think that there's a deeper issue there than you acknowledge. Kelly died - that's undisputed... "how" remains a relevant question.

Frankly, I think that if he had been murdered/assassinated then that would be the least damning explanation.

I suspect that what actually happened was that he lost the will to continue - faced (as he was) by a complete rejection of factual issues he was raising - a powerless pawn being shuffled by disingenuous politicians hell-bent on military action.

The bigger questions are these: Is there any point dedicating your life to providing expert analysis if your input is rejected whenever it doesn't fit with the pre-conceived ideas of an elite? Is there any point to democracy when the elected wilfully misrepresent evidence to engage in (possibly illegal) wars with impunity.

David Kelly reminds us that what went wrong wasn't a collective blindness among everyone involved.

I think that there's a deeper issue there than you acknowledge. Kelly died - that's undisputed... "how" remains a relevant question.

Frankly, I think that if he had been murdered/assassinated then that would be the least damning explanation.

I suspect that what actually happened was that he lost the will to continue - faced (as he was) by a complete rejection of factual issues he was raising - a powerless pawn being shuffled by disingenuous politicians hell-bent on military action.

The bigger questions are these: Is there any point dedicating your life to providing expert analysis if your input is rejected whenever it doesn't fit with the pre-conceived ideas of an elite? Is there any point to democracy when the elected wilfully misrepresent evidence to engage in (possibly illegal) wars with impunity.

David Kelly reminds us that what went wrong wasn't a collective blindness among everyone involved.

100% agree. (did you mean to agree with me, or have I misunderstood?)

Server logs could be released to show its been hacked.

Which would be denounced as fakes, or the hackers would be denounced as stooges. I wouldn't mind so much if conspiracy theories had an end point, but they never do.

I wouldn't mind so much if conspiracy theories had an end point, but they never do.

One such incident which has since been admitted to be untrue was the Gulf of Tonkin. It led to a little spat between two non neighbouring countries which still carries damaging effects to this day and will continue well into the future.

As for the op, maybe its true at face value maybe its not.

Just dropping this in as a point where an inquest result pretty much killed off any conspiracy theories....

Diana Princess of Wales. It went even further in killing off the rumours it ridiculed the main driver behind those rumours with the press portraying him as a sad old man with a chip on his shoulder over Phil the Greek.

Given the IMF would be an obvious target, why assume something more complex? Don't get me wrong - I would be surprised if someone doesn't try to make a claim for greater control over the internet based on this - but wouldn't it be better to figeht such a call on the basis of what we actually know rather than an unprovable hypothesis?

Agreed. It is the over complexity of the explanation that makes most of the wiklder conspiracy theories unlikely.

That said the fact that most conspiracy theories are barking does not mean there are no conspiracies. It is just that most of them are simpler, have more limited aims and are often not spotted.

As for the 'regulation' of the internet last time I looked there wee plenty of existing laws that apply to it. Whether all of them are enforceable is another matter.

Guest eight

Agreed. It is the over complexity of the explanation that makes most of the wiklder conspiracy theories unlikely.

That said the fact that most conspiracy theories are barking does not mean there are no conspiracies. It is just that most of them are simpler, have more limited aims and are often not spotted.

As for the 'regulation' of the internet last time I looked there wee plenty of existing laws that apply to it. Whether all of them are enforceable is another matter.

What do you think the point of the story was then? Bear in mind that this wasn't the result of investigative journalism - they volunteered the information themselves. Is it in the public interest? I think if I was in charge of the organisation affected I would try to sweep such events under the carpet rather than issue a press release.

eight

100% agree. (did you mean to agree with me, or have I misunderstood?)

I aimed to be clear - I wasn't aiming specifically to refute your statement... but I thought there was more to say on the subject.

Server logs could be released to show its been hacked.

If I were the systems administrator, I *DEFINITELY* would not allow that. Security by obscurity is a myth - but intrusion detection is another matter entirely... that's a game - the administrator needs to outwit the attacker... and confidentiality is critical here. Where real-world intrusions are detected, it's usually because a mistake was made by the attacker - a mistake which, if identified, could be avoided in future.

Of course, my position on 'best practice' should not be interpreted as suggesting that coherent or appropriate security provisions are in place. Nor should it be assumed that I take the reports to the media at face value - too much political advantage is at stake.

I've read the arguements for security by obscurity and in the main I agree its not a good approach

I go further: Security by obscurity is not security.

That doesn't mean to say that obscurity doesn't have benefits - just that security is not one of them.

Secrecy is the default stance of official bodies, particularly where a lapse has occured.

When such a lapse is announced, I assume the purpose is to condition one set of people or another, and it would be unlikely that the intention was to communicate with hackers.