House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Real Alternatives To Google

Over a decade ago I used to enjoy the exclusivity that t'internert afforded me. Now everyone and their dog is online that has gone and subsequently I feel like I have lost that advantage. The number of pictures I see in forums where the person has just done a first page Google image search is staggering. In fact t'internet of today feels very different from even 10 years ago. Everyone goes to the same old Websites (Facebook, BBC, Twitter, Bloomberg) using Google as a front door.

I like Startpage dot com for it's privacy (doesn't store your searches or IP address unlike Google) but I believe it is powered by Google's engine.

Bing is obviously a welcome entrant, but does anyone use any other real alternative (not Yahoo!) that I've never heard of, that you have really used and not just done a "alternatives to google" Google search?

It might not even be machiavellian. Just a sort of lazy stagnation, caused by no competition. A sort of monocrop.

For example, when I did an image search for 'desperados' the other day, I was expecting all sorts of interesting shots from spaghetti westerns, and all sorts of things, but I got this:

http://www.google.co...iw=1272&bih=576

This is the other thing that winds me up about it. When you search for Hell's Kitchen for instance, don't expect to see page after page of information on the history of Irish and other immigrant gangs of New York who would congregate at Five Points; do expect to see page after page about some Chef. A lot of it is paid placement which I find annoying. Content Farms I've managed to filter out (thanks to another thread I posted about this, using Firefox & OptimiseGoogle).

Major Websites are made and broken by being in bed with Google. If an alternative to Wikipedia came along for instance, that trumped it to the top slot when you search, I can guarantee you Wikipedia would plummet.

I used to use dogpile.com a few years back.

But the name sounds like it is a pile of S**t.

Did you hear the news article the other day that the government are looking for ways to monitor the internet ostensibly to target paedophile rings and terrorist cells. That'll be ok because they won't look for anyone else will they!

It might not even be machiavellian. Just a sort of lazy stagnation, caused by no competition. A sort of monocrop.

For example, when I did an image search for 'desperados' the other day, I was expecting all sorts of interesting shots from spaghetti westerns, and all sorts of things, but I got this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=desperados&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1272&bih=576

I think I'll go back to using Altavista for a bit as a trial.

http://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0oG7pmYa_RNFQYACxil87UF?p=desperados&fr=altavista&fr2=sfp&iscqry=

http://www.google.co...iw=1272&bih=576

I think that is poor photo labelling and file naming though.

Google's image search is annoying though, especially when you have a crap web site and the only visits it gets are Google image search.