House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Nis

If Not Gold/silver, What Is The Alternative?

I am indebted to "Take Me Back to London" for this idea.

Freeze dried food has a shelf life of 25-30 years, is very lightweight and compact. You can get a month's food supply in a large/military rucksack with a survival water filter and a Kelly kettle, no probs.

What do you feel are a good idea to hold for the purpose of wealth preservation, in addition to, or instead of, PMs. Replies may consider SHTF scenarios, Zimbabwe, or just inflation as measured on the petrol pump meter.

For myself, I think all families should be in possession of at least one months' food and water, a couple of rainwater butts and a basic toolkit. But on this thread we shall also consider wealth preservation, so I would add anything compact and saleable, such as T-shirts bought in bulk, CD-ROMs, lipsticks (highly desirable in WWII). Trouble is, we are then back to the most long-lasting, saleable, compact goods and immediately I start thinking of shiny items.

What is the opinion of my highly-esteemed forum colleagues?

I know one thing, the only paper worth investing in is toilet paper - it will always be in demand and thanks to inflation will continue to rise in price. If you are sticking with paper, buy bog roll...

Sorry, Mr F. I've pinched this post of yours for this thread, I couldn't resist....

and as for you, Erat_Forte, +1 (at least!) Fungible, long-lasting, rises in value, easy to test, etc, etc.

Two nasty compound bows, 50 arrows so far, with enough spares to make 150 more.

Two licenced shotguns 120 rounds each.

Ten toffee crisp bars to use as bait.

I'm looking to get some bear traps as well to place the Toffee crisp bars on to catch children to butcher for meat. :P

What do you feel are a good idea to hold for the purpose of wealth preservation, in addition to, or instead of, PMs. Replies may consider SHTF scenarios, Zimbabwe, or just inflation as measured on the petrol pump meter.

For myself, I think all families should be in possession of at least one months' food and water, a couple of rainwater butts and a basic toolkit. But on this thread we shall also consider wealth preservation, so I would add anything compact and saleable, such as T-shirts bought in bulk, CD-ROMs, lipsticks (highly desirable in WWII). Trouble is, we are then back to the most long-lasting, saleable, compact goods and immediately I start thinking of shiny items.

Thank you.

For water filters, I would suggest maybe looking at the Swiss made Katadyn range.

And the Kelly kettle is a simple, very efficient volcanic kettle which burns paper, twigs, pine cones, grass to boil water in less than 5 minutes and you can use it to cook as well.

kelly-kettle-boil2.jpg

For a store of wealth, fine art and antiques would be an option.

As a barter currency, alcohol miniatures would be good.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

Tobacco?

Indefinate shelf life,increased in value more than anything else I can think of, wil always have value, in demand & easy to shift,will be subjected to further price rises and it it ever becomes illegal it's value will sky rocket!

Think it's about £6 for 50gm on the continent, abouy £8 on the black mrket & £12.50 in the shops.

20 x 50gm packs (£250 at shop prices) are as big as half a loaf of bread, a big suitcase stased in the loft could store £10k easily!

I think that if you want to go all apocalypse and prep for SHTF collapse then food, water and fuel are top of the list. Most people talk about holding gold/silver because it always has value and can be exchanged for food if TSHTF. I am not so sure tbh and certainly dont believe that you would get value in the trade so if you worry about it then buy the food now while it is cheap and available.

Dried goods last years as do tinned goods stored somewhere below average room temp.

As for wealth preservation I am back to shiny stuff too. Tobacco and alcohol may well go up in value but do you really want to have to resell £10k's worth of 50g packs of golden virginia or try to store and sell 1000 bottles of vodka? Apart from the hassle I think that betting on other goods presents more risk than metal.

Land is top of my list because self preservation is more important than wealth preservation imo.

I think that if you want to go all apocalypse and prep for SHTF collapse then food, water and fuel are top of the list. Most people talk about holding gold/silver because it always has value and can be exchanged for food if TSHTF. I am not so sure tbh and certainly dont believe that you would get value in the trade so if you worry about it then buy the food now while it is cheap and available.

Dried goods last years as do tinned goods stored somewhere below average room temp.

As for wealth preservation I am back to shiny stuff too. Tobacco and alcohol may well go up in value but do you really want to have to resell £10k's worth of 50g packs of golden virginia or try to store and sell 1000 bottles of vodka? Apart from the hassle I think that betting on other goods presents more risk than metal.

Land is top of my list because self preservation is more important than wealth preservation imo.

If people who subscribe to the opocoliptical ethos, atleast they could drink / smoke their wealth!

IMO, I don't expect that there will be an absolute SHTF collapse, however, I don't rule it out either. I believe its justified to have "back-up systems". I like freeze dried food as it can be stored and forgotten about. Tin food can be kept for a very long time, well beyond its expiry date. The Army was eating WW1 canned corned beef in WW2.

There are problems as you mention, with storing large amount of bulky goods.

With regards to your comments regarding land, I agree that its at the top of the list, however you can not take with you, should you have to leave. With gold and silver it will buy those assets in a place or country of safety, so it acts as both self preservation and wealth preservation.

IMO, I don't expect that there will be an absolute SHTF collapse, however, I don't rule it out either. I believe its justified to have "back-up systems".

I'm not so sure, since humanity is always 3 meals away from a massive revolution. Look at the flood/hurricane in Louisana people started looting pretty quickly afterwards and they did lots of things we consider uncivilised.

Civilised society is a very thin veneer on society and once TSHTF the veneer falls off and people do what they can to survive.

Take for example China 1950s. People quite literally would eat their own children due to the famine of the time. Stories of cannibalism have more than a grain of truth in them. The CCP doesn't like to talk about it.

I've said time and again guile and the right mindset are the key to TSHTF scenarios. Food is good but weapons and skills are better.

I'm not so sure, since humanity is always 3 meals away from a massive revolution. Look at the flood/hurricane in Louisana people started looting pretty quickly afterwards and they did lots of things we consider uncivilised.

Civilised society is a very thin veneer on society and once TSHTF the veneer falls off and people do what they can to survive.

Take for example China 1950s. People quite literally would eat their own children due to the famine of the time. Stories of cannibalism have more than a grain of truth in them. The CCP doesn't like to talk about it.

I've said time and again guile and the right mindset are the key to TSHTF scenarios. Food is good but weapons and skills are better.

On the whole the people in Louisana, were at the bottom of the heap, hopeless and could not organise themselves. I would not live in such a place and if I was there my first priority would be to get out of the area and not to wait for government help. As well as having emergency back-up systems, I would also put high up on the list, having a network of good friends who could help and likewise offer them shelter and assistance in an emergency should they need it.

With regards to weaponry etc., I am all for standing firm and doing a Battle of Rorke's Drift re-enactment, but it would not be my first choice.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

You don't even need to look at China for those cannibal scenarios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

Anyway thanks for the info on the kelly kettle i had not heard of it before , looks like something essential i will need to pick up.