House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

House Price Optimism Returns With One Third Expecting Higher Prices

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/8569738/House-price-optimism-returns.html

House price optimism returns
Britons feel confident about the housing market, with a third of people expecting prices to rise.

With that many people thinking prices will rise I suppose it means that prices will sadly rise. :( *

* On the other hand, the other 2/3rds must disagree and that's the majority. :D:D:D

I had an EA quote to me today the Express headline last week of 16% rise over the next 4 years.

In the same breath she mentioned how expensive food from M&S had become citing some cheese that had gone up from £1.50 to £2.00 in a week.

I had a similar experience from a customer today MT.

Guy comes in the shop and practically has a barmy at me when I ask for 75p more than last time for a box of water filters.

This leads on to the economy, and despite this guy having about 13 grandkids, says how bad it is that people are losing a lot of money as their house price falls.

I honestly believe he would rather they were saddled with another 30k of debt each than he have to pay 75p more than he used to every 4 months.

I've had about half a dozen bizarrely mad experiences regarding the property market this week, which I may post tomorrow - just to help my sanity if nothing else.

I had an EA quote to me today the Express headline last week of 16% rise over the next 4 years.

In the same breath she mentioned how expensive food from M&S had become citing some cheese that had gone up from £1.50 to £2.00 in a week.

I was muttering to myself just yesterday about the price of Sainsburys own brand cheese. Friggin' joke prices rising every time I go there.

So, according to this article 49% expect a fall or no change in house prices. What about the remainder 19 odd percent who didn't think anything and are missing from the article? Presumably they don't have soothsaying capability. What does everyone else "feel" or "think" will happen to prices?

Edited by pl1

I'm certainly seeing
some
seriously delusional pricing in SW 17.
Got one courtesy of Primelocation alert just the other day - should be £285K
max
- and that's going by other prices locally, not wishful HPC thinking. Yet it's on at
£329,950.
Similar property on at £330K end of last yr, certainly nicer/better done up and a mite bigger, eventually reduced to £299K, EA told me now U/O at £290K.
(not the EA that first put it on at £330K - that was Foxtons, would you believe it.
;)
)
Should imagine it's vendor delusion rather than EA - most in the area seem reasonably realistic (by EA standards).
Edited by Mrs Bear

Couldn't see the source. Is it Halifax?

Around 32pc said they thought property values would increase in the next 12 months, compared with only 23pc who thought they would fall and 26pc who thought they would be broadly unchanged, according to high street bank Halifax.

Yup :lol:.

"Around 32pc said they thought property values would increase in the next 12 months"

similar to the 29% of people that voted labour last year

is it the same set of people? the new-rich primary school teachers, council officers, taxi drivers on income support etc etc with a few BTLs.

Yup :lol:.

it isunbelievable that they are still in business - I was in a Halifax branch a year or so ago (closing asavings account) and me and my partner succinctly explained that we didn't trust them as a business, they had been bailed out from bankruptcy, and the teller said 'that isn't true, we were solvent, that's just a misunderstanding in the news'. The corporate denial is spectacular.

Edited by Si1

A "reputable journalist" could come on to this site the morning of a Haliwide survey. If said journalist looked at the survey thread in the hour before the announcement, they would find X% of posts predicting a MoM rise in house prices.

Cue Daily Express headline "27% of HPCers expect house prices to rise!"

It's all garbage IMHO.

I just want to know if the Daily Epress would have a pic of RB or TMT with the headline.......... :D