House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pensive

Pembrokeshire

Does anyone live in Pembrokeshire? Id love an update on the state of things there.

Don't live there but grew up there and keeping extremely close eye on the market as looking to head back there in not too distant future. Where you looking?

It's grown massively over last few years but things are very stagnant down there at present. Every time I go back (every 6 weeks or so) same old places still for sale. The decent ones are still sellling though.

I actually put an offer in on a place this last week.

I actually put an offer in on a place this last week.

Was it your dream house or something? I only ask because it seems a strange to time to decide to buy, when house prices look like getting weaker, not stronger.

Was it your dream house or something? I only ask because it seems a strange to time to decide to buy, when house prices look like getting weaker, not stronger.

............I didn't say how much the offer was below the asking price though. It's been rejected.

It's a good house for me in a good location and no, it's not my dream house at all. It would be a good home for several years while I modernised it.

IMO Pembs will fall quite hard when things level out. The "investors" have slowed their buying in the county and the locals are either trading up or staying put. I doubt if FTB's could afford anything.

I'm not limited to an area but want to be near water for sailing. I don't want to be too isolated. I use to live in N wales but thats too far from family but I want to be back in Wales. So I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not limited to an area but want to be near water for sailing. I don't want to be too isolated. I use to live in N wales but thats too far from family but I want to be back in Wales. So I'm open to suggestions.

Somewhere nr the Milford Haven Waterway would suit you by the sounds of it. You could look at property in Pembroke Dock, Milford or Neyland as they are the cheapest areas to buy (but not the most desirable suprisingly).

Forget places like Tenby or Saundersfoot, (my old stomping ground) as the prices here are way high and propped up by the London set.

You could be really cheeky like me and throw in a derisory offer :D

Pembs shares so much in common with Devon/Cornwall - high prices with really crap wages. I feel sorry for the locals who have to compete. I had to get my ass out of Wales but want to return. Trouble is, sort of work I do doesn't really happen in Pembrokeshire :(

It is a tiny rock outcrop in the Atlantic Ocean. Several years back it was disputed territory between us and the Danes until one SAS man bravely scrambled up onto it, rose the Union flag and declared it for Britain.

All you need to know about Rockall:

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/rockall/p...re-gallery.html

guards.jpg

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I expect house prices will be falling fast on Roackall!

Would probably fail the "pint of milk" test.

Long way from the tube as well.....

Location Location Location

Somewhere nr the Milford Haven Waterway would suit you by the sounds of it. You could look at property in Pembroke Dock, Milford or Neyland as they are the cheapest areas to buy (but not the most desirable suprisingly).

I went for a look around yesterday. Pembroke dock seemed pretty awful. One street had masses of terrace houses for sale.

The part of Neyland we saw, down by the water was nice, my goodness there's some money in the Marina.

I loved Burton, houses with gardens terraced down to the water. I think there were 3 in a row for sale.

They are advertised on Rightmove

6 bed detached, view over waterway £345

5 bed detached, ditto £350

Lovely houses, I thought they would be more. ....but still out of my league

Forget places like Tenby or Saundersfoot, (my old stomping ground) as the prices here are way high and propped up by the London set.

You could be really cheeky like me and throw in a derisory offer :D

Pembs shares so much in common with Devon/Cornwall - high prices with really crap wages. I feel sorry for the locals who have to compete. I had to get my ass out of Wales but want to return. Trouble is, sort of work I do doesn't really happen in Pembrokeshire :(

The prices in Milford, Pembroke and P Dock, Neyland etc are not as dirt cheap as they used to be.I know a couple of people who were investing there nearly 2 years ago as the Marina was on the horizon, and prices have shot up.I don;t think there is a 'cheap' place in Pembs any more, unless you happen to be earning a damn sight more than most of the locals earn (which as you point out, is b*****r all).Locals are not even in the game as far as 'competing' goes.There are no jobs in Pembs, several big closures of industry in the past decade have left it stagnant.This is why it drives locals bonkers (in many parts of wales) when people sail in and buy up second homes for use 1 or 2 months a year.They foot the bill for services through (full rate) council tax, while the economy gets worse and worse, as many younger people migrate to the cities.People who stay are lucky to be able to afford a decent rented home, as rents have also gone up.The same is true of Devon and Cornwall.Before anyone says anything, it isn't an 'English immigrants' thing though, it's a capitalism thing.Some people have lots of cash, others don't.Plenty of Welsh people come and buy in beautiful parts of Wales after making a tidy profit from selling in other parts.Who said this housing boom was fair?

Edited by Homebird