House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovelyhead

Mossmoran, Fife

Just on the off chance that anyone lives near the Mossmoran plant near Cowdenbeath, did anyone hear the loud rumble last night at about 3am? It sounded like a passenger jet flying above my house for about 20 minutes and then they started a huge flare. Biggest I've ever seen. Nothing on the news about it. Lived here for 20 years and not heard or seen anything like it.

I think it was Mr CCC's bowels going off! :huh:

Biofuel gas venting. Seen it down there before, lighting up the night sky when I visited a friend in Ballingry, Fife.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_63ZxXNXw

That is a common sight. They do that about once a month. This was worse. Ive since found out that they had a stuck valve and had to vent steam to stop a pressure build up. It had all the neighbours up at 3am. I bet the workers had a bit of a panic last night!

The Courier: Noise of Fife Ethylene plant flaring is 'frightening' for locals.

A Fife councillor has called for an inquiry into incidents at a petrochemical plant near Cowdenbeath that led to hundreds of people being awoken in the middle of the night.

Labour leader Alex Rowley told The Courier he had been inundated with calls and emails from people angry and worried about the level of noise emanating from the Fife Ethylene Plant at Mossmorran over the weekend — particularly during the hours of darkness.

The plant had to be shut down and restarted on Saturday after a valve failure in the early hours of the morning caused the noisy release of high-pressure steam.

Operator ExxonMobil Chemical apologised to communities affected and confirmed that the plant is now flaring to burn off gases for safety reasons, with that process expected to continue well into today.

I would never think of emailing a councillor about a noise I heard during the night like that

(last night it sounded like distant gun shots or someone throwing half full bottles of pop onto soft soil BUT I didn't ring anyone)