House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Investment Strategy - Summer 2011

I am in the fortunate position of having about £18K surplus income to invest between now and October. However the fubarred economy leaves me a little unsure what to do and how to spread the cash

Options

Pay chunk off the mortgage (Out standing sum left £43K at 2% apr)

Shares - FTSE 100/ 250?

ZOPA?

Under the matress?

Beans and shotgun shells?

I like the idea of Zopa and intend to put some money in at some point. Unfortunately for you they don't do any loans where you'd get your money back by October, only the repayments up until then...

I like the idea of Zopa and intend to put some money in at some point. Unfortunately for you they don't do any loans where you'd get your money back by October, only the repayments up until then...

Im sticking £1K a month into Zopa at present. Getting a pretty good return overall with bad debt and late payments running at just over 1%

Am I right in thinking the credit Union limit of £25K has been lifted?

Im in the same position. What ideas did you come up with?

When Im back in September Im going to park £25K in Premium bonds. Nice and safe, accessible, modest return and outside chance of scooping the £1m

I am in the fortunate position of having about £18K surplus income to invest between now and October. However the fubarred economy leaves me a little unsure what to do and how to spread the cash

Options

Pay chunk off the mortgage (Out standing sum left £43K at 2% apr)

Shares - FTSE 100/ 250?

ZOPA?

Under the matress?

Beans and shotgun shells?

Options? I need further information.

Pay off chunk of the mortgage? Never!! For a number of reasons I would only pay the mortgage as originally scheduled.

Shares - FTSE 100/250? I would put additional cash into savings time deposits, stocks, or bonds.

ZOPA? You must be kidding. And if they don't pay you back, you have lost it all.

Beans and shotgun shells? As for beans, I like to eat steak. As for shotgun shells, the crooked elected officials have made guns illegal, so if caught you will be spending a few years in a cell with Bubba. Unless you are in Texas, then beans and shotgun shells might be a good option.

Options? I need further information.

Pay off chunk of the mortgage? Never!! For a number of reasons I would only pay the mortgage as originally scheduled.

Shares - FTSE 100/250? I would put additional cash into savings time deposits, stocks, or bonds.

ZOPA? You must be kidding. And if they don't pay you back, you have lost it all.

Beans and shotgun shells? As for beans, I like to eat steak. As for shotgun shells, the crooked elected officials have made guns illegal, so if caught you will be spending a few years in a cell with Bubba. Unless you are in Texas, then beans and shotgun shells might be a good option.

I have put £19K into ZOPA in 15 months spread over about 1500 borrowers. Total bad debt to date £55. ;)

I have put £19K into ZOPA in 15 months spread over about 1500 borrowers. Total bad debt to date £55. ;)

1500 borrowers??!! What may I ask is your annual yield? 6% or maybe 7%?

1500 borrowers??!! What may I ask is your annual yield? 6% or maybe 7%?

£10 and £20 loans to each borrower - thats how you spread risk ;)

On todays account to date;

£18820 paid in since March 2010

£1089 in interest earned

minus £124 in fees

minus £65 in bad debt

Net intrest before tax £900 - so at a guess around 6-7%

Edited by Kurt Barlow