House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sign_of_the_times

Daily Express Today

so I guess some in the media are finally seeing it at last. I'm off to buy my copy and keep it as the first of many to come with that sort of headline.

crash is well on course guys :)

express6vn.th.gif

post-1668-1128062239_thumb.jpg

Edited by sign_of_the_times

Guest consa
so I guess some in the media are finally seeing it at last. I'm off to buy my copy and keep it as the first of many to come with that sort of headline.

Just bought it, it was there clear as day, sort of smacked me in the face from the shelf, I even ducked :lol::lol:

Guest KingCharles1st

express6vn.th.gif

Just saw the front page thrust into my face by a BBC newsreader!

The content a'int important here, its the message!

What the F*** is this going to trigger- coming up for winter etc, oil etc, etc.

what I especially like is that we were still seeing 10pc increases up to February this year..

So.. it was still a little bit below where we are now in September 2004..

So when we match against January/february 2006 against January/february 2005....

That is going to show a marked downturn..

not 1.5% up..

But somewhere in the region of 6 % down.

What this will actually show is the marked rise in house prices early this year that was wiped out by drops already..

But it will show the true drops. :)

When I sold to rent last year my sister in law sent me an article from the Express to back up her arguement why I should not come out of the housing market. She acted out of genuine concern but the Express article was typically bullish. If that small article had influenced her thinking what will todays headline do.

As a listener to radio 4, I always listen to their bit on What the papers say. Didn't hear anything about this Express headline, either last night or this morning. They obviously didn't think it warrented air time.

Also there is a paper headline today along the lines of "Second home tax break will squeeze out young buyers" .. presumably referring to SIPPS.

So a sort of mixture of good and bad news for FTBs today.

The 12x salary multiple in Stratford which I've just seen in the blog is a little shocking, even to me. I knew it was high but I didn't think it was that much. Stratford is certainly nice, but it isn't worth 12x I don't care what anyone says.

Shakespeare will be turning in his grave!

I know I make this point a lot.

but for the prices to stay where they are.. For house prices not to drop.

We would have to see FTB's embracing the sort of debt levels that have already pushed us £600,000,000,000 more in debt over the last few years.

Remember that this is a peak.. so the debt levels required would be the largest the boom showed us.

The economy is already failing with current debt levels..

It cannot maintain current prices as the debt required to embrace current prices would ruin the country.

Already the economy is reacting to current debt levels.

To maintain these levels of house prices requires debt levels to be increased on massive levels.

Levels which have already started to cause a huge crisis in the greater economy.

In essence the sums do not even begin to add up.

Edited by apom

I hope this isn't a VI spin to get an IR cut.

I'm a tiny bit suspicious of this type of reporting so early into the downward cycle.

Still, it sells newspapers and that's what they ultimately want

The Daily Mail and Daily Express have put this kind of headline on their front pages so many times over the past 10 years that I think Joe Public has become immune to it.

But as I've said before, even the boy who cried wolf was right in the end.

The Daily Mail and Daily Express have put this kind of headline on their front pages so many times over the past 10 years that I think Joe Public has become immune to it.

But as I've said before, even the boy who cried wolf was right in the end.

Yes the Daily Express had a front page story that house prices were about to crash about 3 years ago following on from a Tonight With Trevor McDonut Special featuring an academic warning of an imment crash.

However, it has often been said elsewhere that the rationale for a crash may be sound but the timing is very difficult to predict.

express6vn.th.gif

Any paper which has pictures of surfing penguins and calls itself the "worlds greatest newspaper" automatically loses any hint of credibility.

You guys are smacking of desperation to think its marvellous, especially considering the suffering and pain that many will feel when it happens. Its like hanging around an emergency room in the hope of seeing some injuries!!!

Also debt levels are dropping, read http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16510

Guest The_Oldie

I just popped down to the canteen to read it. I haven't got a copy, so can't quote from it. But, it's a rather confused article that has two themes, firstly a plea for lower interest rates and secondly, a strongly worded opinion that rising house prices are a good thing.

There is a final paragraph regarding SIPPS. It is stated that EAs think that SIPPS will make matters worse by destabilising the housing market with £6bn expected to flood the lower end, leaving no entry point for FTBs.

In my opinion though, they've shot themselves in the foot with the headline. I can see a lot of people, on the brink of buying, deciding to hold fire after seeing that on the news stand.

Any paper which has pictures of surfing penguins and calls itself the "worlds greatest newspaper" automatically loses any hint of credibility.

You guys are smacking of desperation to think its marvellous, especially considering the suffering and pain that many will feel when it happens. Its like hanging around an emergency room in the hope of seeing some injuries!!!

Also debt levels are dropping, read http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16510

It doesn't need credibility, I don't read the daily depress HOWEVER it's big bold words will strike at most peoples subconscious.

It only takes a shadow of doubt to stop people in their tracks.

including you, I hope :D

maybe your handle should be "economic DESPERATION"

Edited by sign_of_the_times

showtopic=16510]http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16510[/url]

What we get is what we give.

Do me a favour. How do you think our schadenfreude is any different from those who applaud themselves everytime house prices have risen over the last 10 years, without sparing a second of consideration for how our generation of buyers was going to afford to buy a home in this country?!

Its payback time.

I was listening to my local radio station this morning (power fm) and the chap suddenly announces;

" looks like houseprices are falling!, so that's great news for anyone trying to buy their first house.

However it's really bad news for all you lot who might have just bought....looks like your home will be worth less than you paid for it. So if you intend to go house hunting this weekend you'll be able to find something really cheap..."

I almost slammed the car into the guy infront of me....I couldn't believe my ears....sentiment has changed. :P

Just revisited the old press cuttings elsewhere on the site.

Let us not forget (amidst all this talk of miniscule drops in national average price data) that the reverse will come in fits and starts as it has before. In the real world, individual asking and sale prices do not drop by 1% amounts but by bigger amounts to stimulate interest, and setting new ceilings for particular streets. It will also happen quickly in certain areas first then proceed in phases across other areas (which of course the national statistics can average out and smooth for the VIs).

See below. From the "halt" in prices rises until the need for 20% drops headlines took only 7 months. Winter, xmas, bills etc - I think this is it.

The Times

SAT 05 NOV 1988

House prices crumble

The great house-price halt is under way and London and the South-East are in the vanguard. The Halifax Building society reports that prices in these regions did not rise during October, although house prices in other areas continued to rise.

The Times

SAT 01 JUL 1989

Owners drop house prices by 20% to encourage sales

House prices are being cut by thousands of pounds to sell properties that have been on estate agents' books since last year. Vendors, still influenced by last summer's prices, are having to reduce asking prices by as much as 20per cent to sell, accor...

including you, I hope :D

maybe your handle should be "economic DESPERATION"

Aw shucks, you say the nicest things. Remember there are a lot more house buyers already on the market than first time buyers. I would love to see your face when the house price slump you are praying for knocks the economy into deep recession and you get your redundancy letter. I doubt you will be quite as smily then :)

The economic ramifications to our company of a house price slump are so immense that if it happened like some of you guys are predicting it we would enter a massive recession, millions would be laid off driving many to suicide, millions would be driven into poverty and bankruptcy and the country would go backwards for years. You should think about the consequenses when you make your wishes. But on the plus side you could buy a cheap house and laugh at the millions in massive negative equity. Wouldnt' that be great fun!!

The market will come off more, it has already dropped quite healthily, and hopefully some of you guys will get on the market, but don't hold your hopes out too much for a dramatic slump, it won't happen.

ES

Remember there are a lot more house buyers already on the market than first time buyers.

Remember that most of those buyers can't buy a new house unless they can sell the old one: which requires a first-time buyer or BTL at the bottom of the chain.

Ooops, that's why so many chains are collapsing when those people try to buy.