House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sh77

Offer Accepted - Ea Keeps Calling My Broker And Solicitor

Offer accepted on flat. 3 weeks exclusivity period given to us to sort out mortgage, survey etc. EA keeps calling our broker and solicitor (without our consent) for updates, which is really annoying. Is this normal behaviour?

Offer accepted on flat. 3 weeks exclusivity period given to us to sort out mortgage, survey etc. EA keeps calling our broker and solicitor (without our consent) for updates, which is really annoying. Is this normal behaviour?

They do have a habit of doing that, ask him to stop.

Perfectly normal

They do have a habit of doing that, ask him to stop.

No, no. Tell your SOLICITOR and BROKER to stop updating him. Tell them that they should refer the EA to YOU if he want updates. Remember, the broker and solicitor work for you.

Why do you find it annoying?

The seller will more than likely be asking the EA for an update on progress, so their calls are understandable.

All parties are working towards the same end, and it can identify problems, lack of paperwork from sellers solicitor for instance.

My clients expect me to report to them with progress on how their sale is progressing, which means I speak to solicitors and brokers daily, and often this can help move a transaction along faster. Surely not a bad thing.

Why do you find it annoying?

The seller will more than likely be asking the EA for an update on progress, so their calls are understandable.

All parties are working towards the same end, and it can identify problems, lack of paperwork from sellers solicitor for instance.

My clients expect me to report to them with progress on how their sale is progressing, which means I speak to solicitors and brokers daily, and often this can help move a transaction along faster. Surely not a bad thing.

Apart from the fact that it's none of your business? Do you reveal to the buyer how much you will get in commission? Do you volunteer that information? After all you're all working to the same end, right?

Hey, it's probably a good thing if the EA is keeping right on top of things. He's probably doing the same to buyer's side to ensure that it goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. Be grateful. At the end of the day you are paying the EA, so make him do some work beyond just marketing the property. I'd rather have an overactive EA than one that just sits back and expects you to do all the chasing.

Apart from the fact that it's none of your business? Do you reveal to the buyer how much you will get in commission? Do you volunteer that information? After all you're all working to the same end, right?

What do you mean it's none of the EAs business? The seller is paying the EA to find a buyer for their property and manage the resulting sale to exchange and completion. I'm afraid, whether you like it or not, this involves speaking to brokers and solicitors to confirm the process is running smoothly.

This is relevant information, which sellers expect EAs to be able to provide. Why the amount of commission is relevant I have no idea, but if they are that desperate to know I'll tell them. Hardly deeply connected to their purchase though is it?

Hey, it's probably a good thing if the EA is keeping right on top of things. He's probably doing the same to buyer's side to ensure that it goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. Be grateful. At the end of the day you are paying the EA, so make him do some work beyond just marketing the property. I'd rather have an overactive EA than one that just sits back and expects you to do all the chasing.

Exactly!

uh, reading the OP again seems that he is the buyer of the flat.

Still, as the buyer I'd be grateful that the EA is trying to move things along. It's in everyone's interest surely that this happens as soon as possible now, isn't it?

I know that I always hate chasing up solicitors - they always seem to be waiting on something - either from one of the searches, or responses to enquiries from the local authorities, or for replies for the other sides' solicitors. It's good if there is pressure on them to get their ass in gear from more than one party.

What do you mean it's none of the EAs business? The seller is paying the EA to find a buyer for their property and manage the resulting sale to exchange and completion. I'm afraid, whether you like it or not, this involves speaking to brokers and solicitors to confirm the process is running smoothly.

Did the buyer ask you to manage the process for them? All you're interested in is smoothing the process for the seller you're working for and using the communication with the buyer's agents to put the buyer under pressure. Did they ask you to contact the solicitor and broker they are paying? No, didn't think so. That's means its none of your business.

Did the buyer ask you to manage the process for them? All you're interested in is smoothing the process for the seller you're working for and using the communication with the buyer's agents to put the buyer under pressure. Did they ask you to contact the solicitor and broker they are paying? No, didn't think so. That's means its none of your business.

So how do you think it should operate then?

The buyer just wandering through the whole process, not communicating with anyone, getting round to things as and well they feel like it, whilst the seller sits back totally unaware of what stage their sale is at, unable to make any future plans?

Does that sound like an acceptable situation to you?

Thank you for your replies. The flat we offered on is being marketed by 3 high-end EAs in Central London and so I can see why the EA is being pushy in his approach. He was trying to get us to put 5k down for the vendor to take the property off the market. We refused unless vendor did the same, which he did not. My husband met with the vendor and he was pretty relaxed about the process and understood that some delays eg mortgage offer were out of our hands. So, EA was pushing more than the vendor. We were given a 4 week exclusivity period in which to get things moving. In a way, I now see the benefit of EA chasing up on things as it has pushed us to move things forward.