House Price Crash Forum
Topher Bear

Odd Vendor Behaviour

Can't quite work out whats going on here.

Yesterday we saw my wife's friends house back on the market. Her friends sold and completed about 2 months ago. Selling thier 2 bed place for £121k after advertising at £135k. All done and dusted. It was sold to someone who said they wanted to rent it out. It is now back on the market for £122k and 'No Offers'

Why would anyone want to resell after only 2 months and only wanting enough money to cover costs? Mrs TB suggests it is money laundering.

Strange!

if you were going to launder money,there are much better ways to do it.(can't see what flipping a house for cost would achieve)

sounds very odd,but sometimes people buy stuff and regret it stright away.

And far easier ways!

Why would anyone want to resell after only 2 months and only wanting enough money to cover costs? Mrs TB suggests it is money laundering.

If you were money laundering you would very definitely accept offers. Organised criminals are more financially literate than that. ;)

Edited by thecrashingisles

I doubt it's money laundering as both the EA and solicitor would be obliged to inform the relevant body if it was a cash sale for example, so it would ultimately be traceable to the purchaser . But then again both types of person could be easily persuaded to turn a blind eye.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

if you were going to launder money,there are much better ways to do it.(can't see what flipping a house for cost would achieve)

sounds very odd,but sometimes people buy stuff and regret it stright away.

A. "I bought it with my boy friend, and now he's dumped me. I can't afford it on my own. I'm two months gone as well.."

0r

B. "We couldn't afford a survey. If it wasn't for the old mine workings we've found under the house, it wouldn't be back for sale.."

Or

"We handn't met the neighbours when we bought it..."

Edited by juvenal

"I bought it with my boy friend, and now he's dumped me. I can't afford it on my own. I'm two months gone as well.."

or 'I've just lost my job, can't find a new one round here, can't afford mortgage, better get out quickly before market slumps any more.'

They could have possibly viewed the house with twigs displayed, when they completed they hadn't realised the the twigs weren't part of the deal, thus putting it straight back on the market :rolleyes:

They could have possibly viewed the house with twigs displayed, when they completed they hadn't realised the the twigs weren't part of the deal, thus putting it straight back on the market :rolleyes:

According to Occam's Razor.... you have the answer, sir.

High-value twigs included as chattels could be a creative way to dip below the stamp duty thresholds.

Can't quite work out whats going on here.

Yesterday we saw my wife's friends house back on the market. Her friends sold and completed about 2 months ago. Selling thier 2 bed place for £121k after advertising at £135k. All done and dusted. It was sold to someone who said they wanted to rent it out. It is now back on the market for £122k and 'No Offers'

Strange!

that wont cover the cost by a long shot ,it cost 6k to 7k to come in and out of a deal like that ,they must of lost a job (one mans miss fortune is another mans fortune)

or 'I've just lost my job, can't find a new one round here, can't afford mortgage, better get out quickly before market slumps any more.'

If they'd lost their job we'd be paying their mortgage now so it can't be that!

To add to other guesses

Unexpected job relocation

Ryan Giggs unsuspecting love nest (Not needed anymore)

Buyer just diagnosed with terminal illness and decides to use deposit money to complete bucket list.

One of the 15 people who won a million squid on tuesdays lotto.

Buyer run over a killed by Bus.

Buyer imprisoned.

Maybe they bought it, only for a rich relative to die and for them to inherit loads of cash so they want somewhere bigger.

Stranger things have happened.

I went to an auction a few years back,a detached house in an acre in an AONB.I offered the guide price of £150k before the sale.It sold for £222k.Talking to the buyer they said they knew it was too dear but had just been left £240k and consequently set that as their limit.

I went to an auction a few years back,a detached house in an acre in an AONB.I offered the guide price of £150k before the sale.It sold for £222k.Talking to the buyer they said they knew it was too dear but had just been left £240k and consequently set that as their limit.

sound about right for a lot of peoples ability to drive a bargain.