House Price Crash Forum
tahoma

The Grass Is Always Greener

Further to my ongoing monitoring of the Peterborough housing market, I present these two listings for the same house.

Weak lawn

Kryptonite lawn

Wow! They must have got Monty Don in. My garden is looking a bit brown with the dry weather, I should get them in. Either that or take a photo, load into photoshop and increase the green channel saturation by about 50%. But that would be unethical.

Incidentally, that's a large 4 bed detached for £180K, not value yet but getting there...

You'd pay double that in Cambridge.

Are wages really that much worse in Peterborough?

Yes, but the lawns are awesome.

Seriously, no. There's plenty of work to be found in Peterborough, it's just that the place feels run down and characterless, despite the stunning Cathederal etc.

Seriously, no. There's plenty of work to be found in Peterborough, it's just that the place feels run down and characterless, despite the stunning Cathederal etc.

There is definitely a "niceness" premium in Cambridge, Stamford etc

There is definitely a "niceness" premium in Cambridge, Stamford etc

Stamford turns into a bit of a war zone at closing time on weekends, believe me.

Wow! They must have got Monty Don in. My garden is looking a bit brown with the dry weather, I should get them in. Either that or take a photo, load into photoshop and increase the green channel saturation by about 50%. But that would be unethical.

Quite a difference there.

Now as we all know, estate agents are professionals, so hardly likely to be "unethical" are they?

So it must of been Monty Don. ;)

Further to my ongoing monitoring of the Peterborough housing market, I present these two listings for the same house.

Weak lawn

Kryptonite lawn

Incidentally, that's a large 4 bed detached for £180K, not value yet but getting there...

Impressive.

Thanks for the lesson! I've learnt another one.

48017_WRN300715_IMG_07_0002_max_620x414.jpg

9553_22821_IMG_02_0000_max_620x414.jpg

Have you had many new housing developments there in this past decade?

Have you had many new housing developments there in this past decade?

I'm not there now, recent developments include Hampton - basically a housing estate built around a gigantic Tesco - and I think they are building more homes to the east of the city.

I'm not there now, recent developments include Hampton - basically a housing estate built around a gigantic Tesco - and I think they are building more homes to the east of the city.

That may have helped, making local prices more affordable.

I think new builds have a greater impact on local prices than how pretty a town is.

Here's another place that shows up more expensive places nearby.

Nice little starter home that; cul de sac location and you are two minutes off the A47. Knock 20% off and we are looking at fair value, which I regard as the '98 price plus inflation.

Cracks are showing folks. 10% off is nothing, I'm sure sellers can manage 20% once they get 'motivated'...

There is definitely a niceness premium in Cambridge, Stamford etc

Yep any village house in the Stilton/Stamford/oakham (hidden cotswolds)

The only time in Cambridge is a 2 week period at Christmas when all the students and 4million+ tourists per annum have fecked off

Cambridge is uber expensive mainly cos loads of Londoners retire there and pay out 'City' prices for a pad without batting an eyelid.

Cambridge is a dump for shopping in - Peterborough or BlueWater for major items pre-internet selling.

Whats the problem? its a different set of photos on a different day taken by a different agent.

Property bee has the bad lawn at August 2010 and the good lawn in September of that year. So it must of just rained a heap, as there are still some scuff marks on the second lawn?

South West of the city and Hampton. The Next Big Thing in P'boro development will be Great Haddon (http://www.greathaddon.com/Project); rolling off the planning production lines as we speak.

It's really interesting (for an anorak) to fire up Google Earth (the installable prog not the online mapping) and turn the satellite picture map overlay back to 1945. Satellite coverage and technology back then obviously wasn't up to modern standards and not all the country was covered. Chunks of Cambs are, though.

South West of the city and Hampton. The Next Big Thing in P'boro development will be Great Haddon (http://www.greathaddon.com/Project); rolling off the planning production lines as we speak.

It's really interesting (for an anorak) to fire up Google Earth (the installable prog not the online mapping) and turn the satellite picture map overlay back to 1945. Satellite coverage and technology back then obviously wasn't up to modern standards and not all the country was covered. Chunks of Cambs are, though.

:lol: