House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Petrol Theft

Is it me?

But cycling around here and there (and getting wet due to the changable weather) on the bits where I have to go on the road rather than Canal tow paths. I've noticed a lot of cars of all kinds with the petrol access hatch simply missing.

I've been spotting 3-4 every day and yesterday spotted half a street of cars missing the petrol flap things....

Has it come down to this? That petrol is so expensive that lots of people are stealing it?

Is it me?

But cycling around here and there (and getting wet due to the changable weather) on the bits where I have to go on the road rather than Canal tow paths. I've noticed a lot of cars of all kinds with the petrol access hatch simply missing.

I've been spotting 3-4 every day and yesterday spotted half a street of cars missing the petrol flap things....

Has it come down to this? That petrol is so expensive that lots of people are stealing it?

This used to happen lots years ago.In the days before locking caps I knew a bloke who would draw up in a car park,put the syphon tube in the car next door and listen to T rex while his tank filled.On one occasion the owner of the other car came back,got in and drove off without noticing taking his piece of syphon tube with him.

When the price spiked in 2001 (leading up to the protests), a friend who lived in an area where siphonings frequently took place removed the 'Diesel' logo from his tailgate and replaced the diesel filler cap with a green one that said 'Fill with 95 unleaded only' on it. His hope was that someone would siphon off the Diesel thinking that it was petrol, put it in their petrol-powered car and consequently sodomise the engine. Sadly, no-one ever did.

Surely it will only be a matter of time before UK petrol stations do what America does, and require payment in advance before the pump flows? Given that so many filling stations now have 'pay at the pump' card readers installed, this would now be a relatively quick and simple change to make, I'd guess, and would end the problem of drive-offs.

Is it me?

I just had a conversation about this yesterday, and was told coach drivers are losing hundreds and hundreds of pounds regularly because thieves are siphoning off their fuel at stop offs etc. It's becoming very common & it's so easy.

In traffic today I saw the guy on the scooter ahead of me switch off his engine while the light was red. At least he couldn't pull up the handbrake - the delay that causes really annoys me.

One way the Govt could simply help everyone save money is to make the time all lights go from RTed to Red & Amber the same. This way people know they have say 20secs to start their engines and be prepared to move off.

When drawing up to a set of traffic lights, if the red light is flashing then that could indicate the lights wont be going green for at least say 1 min so if the red light is flashing you know you will save money by switching the engine off. Its been worked out that you start to save money if you are stationary for more than 30secs or something like that.

Thats one way the Govt could easily reduce their CO2 output a bit more.

http://mosaic.cnfoli.../B101CW2008B222

Of course the cost to pay Siemens to update these £40k plus traffic light computers with new software isnt going to be cheap so it might be a false economy over other intelligent driving methods but its one possibilty.

Or we could adopt the continental system, where at night the traffic lights show flashing red or amber depending on the priority of the road, making a lot of junctions simple give way to traffic on the main road. We could also adopt the turn left at a junction against the red light, if your way is clear that some countries have.

Is it me?

if it's a choice between fuel in the car, food on the table or that payment on the unaffordable mortgage, the plebs will make sure that they steal petrol and food to pay the latter.

f'kin spakkers :blink:

Or we could adopt the continental system, where at night the traffic lights show flashing red or amber depending on the priority of the road, making a lot of junctions simple give way to traffic on the main road. We could also adopt the turn left at a junction against the red light, if your way is clear that some countries have.

On some roads would you even need to have the lights flashing?

A household down the road from me had their two diesel cars emptied of fuel a few weeks back. They hadn't been syphoned but drilled from beneath.

Work colleague lives in a block of flats (luxury apartments) in didsbury, one night they had the entire car park drilled. That's alot of cars. Both petrol and diesel.

I've also noticed alot of ripped off filler caps too, but I think tank drilling is the thing to do nowadays. Much more expensive to fix as well.

Also alot of grids been getting nicked lately too. That spate, funnily enough coincided with some pikeys parking up on Hyde Rd for a couple of weeks.....

Use gun gum to patch the fuel tank. Works a treat. Holed the tank with a stone down by Frankfurt, stuck gun gum on it, patch still holding when I sold the car three years later.

How long till a bright spark with/from a drill head blows up the petrol tank?

Darwin at its best. :D

Petrol isn't flamable in its liquid form though. Petrol vapor and fine mist of petrol thats flamable. I've seen blokes weld motorbike fuel tanks filled with fuel and its OK since there is no vapour.

Petrol isn't flamable in its liquid form though. Petrol vapor and fine mist of petrol thats flamable. I've seen blokes weld motorbike fuel tanks filled with fuel and its OK since there is no vapour.

So if you drill through someone's petrol tank just after they've visited the filling station, you'll be OK, but if you choose a car that's nearly empty (i.e. petrol mixed with air in the fuel tank), expect to be Kentucky fried...

Surely it will only be a matter of time before UK petrol stations do what America does, and require payment in advance before the pump flows?

Had to do this last month,in Stockport..first time ever.

So if you drill through someone's petrol tank just after they've visited the filling station, you'll be OK, but if you choose a car that's nearly empty (i.e. petrol mixed with air in the fuel tank), expect to be Kentucky fried...

These are probably the same guys stealing live cable from train lines.

Fear is not an option :ph34r:

Theft of metals is big business. Ever wonder where those pikeys get really get their flash motors and luxury horse carts? They tend to cruise around in an open back truck, seemingly asking for scrap legally. What they're actually doing is spotting metals they can nick. Last year this happened in Slough estate. The part they stole was worth half a million :lol: