House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crash2006

Debenhams Sale Rubbish

Last week saw news paper articules suggesting massive summer sales starting early had a look at debenhams then looked at the products on sale and googled them what did i find the same price everywhere else. Just seems another ploy to get people to spend. Are teh shops trying to fools the public again.

Last week saw news paper articules suggesting massive summer sales starting early had a look at debenhams then looked at the products on sale and googled them what did i find the same price everywhere else. Just seems another ploy to get people to spend. Are teh shops trying to fools the public again.

Yes. I was in Debenhams today looking to buy a couple of shirts. There were sale signs all over the place but all I could see were overpriced clothes. Even with the 30-50% discount they were overpriced. I would have thought that the sale price should have been the initial selling price and would be looking at a substantial discount from there. The cheapest shirt I could find was nigh on £20. I'll buy when I can get 2 for £15 like I did in H&M a couple of weeks ago.

Yes. I was in Debenhams today looking to buy a couple of shirts. There were sale signs all over the place but all I could see were overpriced clothes. Even with the 30-50% discount they were overpriced. I would have thought that the sale price should have been the initial selling price and would be looking at a substantial discount from there. The cheapest shirt I could find was nigh on £20. I'll buy when I can get 2 for £15 like I did in H&M a couple of weeks ago.

I asked if my mum could pick me up a couple of white shirts off the highstreet as had a wedding to go to, you know casual h+m linen one or something for 9.99.

What does she come back with a M+S bag, I kid you not shirts at £29.50 each.

Debenhams Sale Rubbish

Totally agree.

Huge banners - 50% off. Probably some qualifying small print on the banners. Not worth the visit.

If you're lucky 20% off stuff that's been decaying on the racks for at least the past year. At best they're worth 2nd hand price now.

Total rip off but that's the UK these days and it's been that for decades now but getting worse. Debenhams just reflects that and in spades.

I've quite liked Debenhams but you can go off stores.

The investment group that owns them has landed Debenhams with debts of around £1Bn, so they really do have to use every trick and can't really afford to discount.

Whenever I go in one it always seems very quiet, quite a change from the boom times. Wouldn't surprise me if their creditors have got their fingers crossed as much as Debenhams themselves and are desperately bailing in the hope they won't have to foreclose and eat their loses.

They do sell some sh1t these days as well. A few years back they weren't too bad, but not been impressed lately.

They hope people are too busy on their iphones facebooking to notice, that actually, THERE IS NO SALE!

Whenever I go to the checkout at Debenhams they ALWAYS try to get me to sign up for one of their store cards at some idiotic APR, telling me that if I do I can leave the checkout & go & buy loads more stuff on credit that I never came into the store for & don't actually want/need. Then, when I tell them that I don't want one & that I don't want debt, they look at me with incomprehension as though I've just spoken to them in Swahili or something. Makes me wonder if anyone else has ever said no, as it seems like they have no idea how to deal with a refusal.

I don't buy anything bar food, drink, petrol, parking fees, accommodation and the odd entry fee. Life is about experience not possessions and I find clothes last for years and years.

Oh yes, a cheap mobile recently as my last one died. Did all my 6 year old £250 one did and it only cost £30 :)

Whenever I go to the checkout at Debenhams they ALWAYS try to get me to sign up for one of their store cards at some idiotic APR, telling me that if I do I can leave the checkout & go & buy loads more stuff on credit that I never came into the store for & don't actually want/need. Then, when I tell them that I don't want one & that I don't want debt, they look at me with incomprehension as though I've just spoken to them in Swahili or something. Makes me wonder if anyone else has ever said no, as it seems like they have no idea how to deal with a refusal.

They have to try to sell you that, it's in their job description. When I occasionally have to enter one of these temples to consumerism my response is always along the lines of "No, but it's alright as I know you're told to ask that every time" which usually makes them smile as they like someone who appreciates that they don't like asking it any more than you like hearing it.

They have to try to sell you that, it's in their job description. When I occasionally have to enter one of these temples to consumerism my response is always along the lines of "No, but it's alright as I know you're told to ask that every time" which usually makes them smile as they like someone who appreciates that they don't like asking it any more than you like hearing it.

Well I'd heard somewhere that they have to ask. But they always appear completely fazed by someone actually saying no (well, me, actually). I wonder how many of the wretched things they actually get people signing up for?

But they always appear completely fazed by someone actually saying no (well, me, actually)

You don't fit the profile positive happy customers that are in the customer service training propaganda. NO? Are you mad! Why wouldn't you want to sign up for all the great features of the storecard?!!! Only YES customers features as an answer in the training!

I don't know how shops like Debenhams are still in business TBH. Can someone tell me why a poloshirt is worth £20 in one shop and £2.90p in shops like Primark? :unsure:

The highstreet is laughable these days and hopefully, soon no more, as most have broken business models that rely on debt to prosper.

Where have I heard that before.......... :blink:

You just have to have patience that's all. I've picked up some right bargains from Debenhams in my time:

Ben Sherman parker £140. Paid £35

Ben Sherman Reefer jacket. £105. Paid £30

6 or 7 pairs of Levi 512 cords/jeans over last few years. Currently around £80, Highest paid £30. 2 pairs of the cords were £18.

Duffer hoodies. £45. Paid £12

Numerous branded tee shirts £25, always paid less than a tenner.

Le Creuset casserole dish and griddle pan. Combined price £204. Paid £61.

It's no good just expecting to walk up to the rails and have hundreds of bargains leaping at you, you have to spend time hunting them out.

Tesco sell serviceable work shirts for £12 a pair, leather shoes for £15 upwards etc. I aways either buy tesco or high end designer stuff, dont see the point in middle range high street stuff at all.

I don't know how shops like Debenhams are still in business TBH. Can someone tell me why a poloshirt is worth £20 in one shop and £2.90p in shops like Primark? :unsure:

The highstreet is laughable these days and hopefully, soon no more, as most have broken business models that rely on debt to prosper.

Where have I heard that before.......... :blink:

Because the one in Primark is more holes than material. Seriously, I was in there to buy some cheap undies and looked at the t-shirts and if you hold it up to the light it's virtually semi-transparent, even the dark colours. At least the ones which have a RRP of £20 aren't see-through.

Oh, but this is Britain, so it's quantity not quality, right?

Shops selling Sh!t shock ! Hardly news is it? 99% of the gear in places like this is just slightly different patterned crap from what you already own. But you wouldn't want to be thought unfashionable,would you? Keep them Jag wheels turnin'

Shops selling Sh!t shock ! Hardly news is it? 99% of the gear in places like this is just slightly different patterned crap from what you already own. But you wouldn't want to be thought unfashionable,would you? Keep them Jag wheels turnin'

Riiight. I don't spend loads on clothes either, but I just don't see the point in buying cheap stuff that falls apart after a couple of washes. False economy and all that.

Not sure if its still the case but some years ago it seemed the key measure of store managers and staff was how many store cards they signed up, not how much the store sold.

Imagine being there when a tearrful lady comes into the shop to cancel her mother's store card - because the mother has died - and despite the shop ringing through on her behalf they refuse to stop the card because "the card holder is the only person allowed to cancel it". No ammount of saying the cardholder can't they're dead would sway them. Staff cringing in shame at what they're being forced to say to the customer.

That's how badly they needed the cards.

They made more profit on the card than from selling stuff. Was a group run by accountants rather than retailers.

its all fµcked. shopping isnt even fun. it appeals to the dumb that went before over the last 5 years. now those jerks cant get equity from their free money boxes and the rest of us are slightly more sensible. i guess the high streets fµcked beyond repair.

hahahaha

They hope people are too busy on their iphones facebooking to notice, that actually, THERE IS NO SALE!

Actually the problem for the retailers is that they are using their iphones to compare prices elsewhere.