House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

People Are Losing It...

Something I've noticed over last 6 months is what seems like a rising tide of rudeness. I haven't had a row in business for 6 years, then this year... one after another. Everyone seems so p***** off and angry - and they're taking it out on others.

As a result, I'm getting ruder myself. Really disappointed by the way society / business world appears to be going in UK.

I've noticed a few things myself. Companies I want to buy things off simply aren't replying either they are so busy they dont want my business or they don't care.

Secondly telephone marketters are incredibly abrasive, abrupt and quite frankly exceptionally rude. I am rude back to them as I put the phone down a lot.

Yesterday for instance I had a bloke called Mike with an Indian accent, he pretty much did not give me a chance to say no and pretty much stopped talking when it got to so how would you like to pay? It was a gas company btw. My company does not exist outside the WWW. And he started giving me a ton of abuse. At which I put the phone down without finishing the call and left him to vent. When I picked up my phone about 10 mins later to make a call he was still saying bad things over the phone and finished the call.

Today I received another call where the person demanded to speak to the owner. Caught unawares I said yeah. He then swore at me and said I want to speak to the fooking owner now. I put the phone down on him. Only to be called back by him whereby he repeated the same exercise which I decided to humor. He then demanded I buy a very expensive advertising package from him at which I said no. (I NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM A COMPANY THAT INITIATES CONTACT WITH ME) He then swore at me and told me how stupid I was because it would lead to a massive increase of sales.... at which I put the phone down on him.

While OTOH a pleasant bloke from Yell phoned me up and asked me if I'd like to buy some advertising and to confirm Yell details. I had to decline as again my biz isn't really something with an address. And he was fine about it.

Meh...

Something I've noticed over last 6 months is what seems like a rising tide of rudeness. I haven't had a row in business for 6 years, then this year... one after another. Everyone seems so p***** off and angry - and they're taking it out on others.

As a result, I'm getting ruder myself. Really disappointed by the way society / business world appears to be going in UK.

Sod off to MSE then, you big girl's blouse.

;)

Yeah I've definately noticed this recently. I deal with a lot of people, and small provocations can lead to big reactions these days.

I have noticed on the dating sites an increase in the number of women describing themselves as unemployed and then stating in their profile that they have just lost their job.

As their financial situations worsen and they realise many have been had for muppets in the ponzi housing scheme, their stress levels go up. Its a good indicator in some respects but it will get alot worse as the financial crisis continues.

agree. when the cracks appear in their congative dissonance, things do turn very nasty in the heads of some people. well recognised issue - look it up. basically, people like to see themselves as making right choices in life; as reality forces them to realise that they have been living a delusional life for maybe 20 years (credit filled boom, and they have made really bad economic long term choices re debt), a lot will lash out.

and everyone is guilty of this, even you dear reader (and me - but i know most of my own delusions (or do i.....)) ;)

Gerald Celente "when people have nothing left to lose, they lose it" was right.

Someone stole my £1.50 half pint the other night when i turned my head for a minute. Never had that happen before, times must be tough. :lol:

Someone stole my £1.50 half pint the other night when i turned my head for a minute. Never had that happen before, times must be tough. :lol:

Bet your newspaper is safe from being stolen though.

I've noticed a few things myself. Companies I want to buy things off simply aren't replying either they are so busy they dont want my business or they don't care.

Secondly telephone marketters are incredibly abrasive, abrupt and quite frankly exceptionally rude. I am rude back to them as I put the phone down a lot.

Yesterday for instance I had a bloke called Mike with an Indian accent, he pretty much did not give me a chance to say no and pretty much stopped talking when it got to so how would you like to pay? It was a gas company btw. My company does not exist outside the WWW. And he started giving me a ton of abuse. At which I put the phone down without finishing the call and left him to vent. When I picked up my phone about 10 mins later to make a call he was still saying bad things over the phone and finished the call.

Today I received another call where the person demanded to speak to the owner. Caught unawares I said yeah. He then swore at me and said I want to speak to the fooking owner now. I put the phone down on him. Only to be called back by him whereby he repeated the same exercise which I decided to humor. He then demanded I buy a very expensive advertising package from him at which I said no. (I NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM A COMPANY THAT INITIATES CONTACT WITH ME) He then swore at me and told me how stupid I was because it would lead to a massive increase of sales.... at which I put the phone down on him.

While OTOH a pleasant bloke from Yell phoned me up and asked me if I'd like to buy some advertising and to confirm Yell details. I had to decline as again my biz isn't really something with an address. And he was fine about it.

Meh...

Yeah, had more of this myself too.

Great quote there - LOL!

It seems to me over the last couple of months these sales people calling up are becoming more frantic, one guy in particular called demanding to talk to the manager, he sounded like he was about to go up in a puff of smoke when I didnt want his special deal on cutting discs.

I was attending an evening event last weekend where I left my coat in the cloak room as you do,, among reasonably well to do folk, when I came to retrieve it, gone.. £300 up the swannie, now hearing reports around my local area of people stealing heating oil, fuel from boats, cars etc times are changing. If they are serious about getting rid of the deficit, we may end up yet sitting crossbow in hand guarding a hoard of beans :P

agree. when the cracks appear in their congative dissonance, things do turn very nasty in the heads of some people. well recognised issue - look it up. basically, people like to see themselves as making right choices in life; as reality forces them to realise that they have been living a delusional life for maybe 20 years (credit filled boom, and they have made really bad economic long term choices re debt), a lot will lash out.

and everyone is guilty of this, even you dear reader (and me - but i know most of my own delusions (or do i.....)) ;)

Yep. And this is why if I do eventually decide to buy a house - preferable in cash - I will not be giving any details on this site or any other. Would not be surprised to see someone you have had debates with re. HPC on this site and others - popping round and chucking a brick through the window to make themselves feel better.

****** em. If it happens I will be smug in private. :D

I had a call last week who seriously p***ed me off. He was selling some sort of technology, but you know how it is - they all like to use their acronyms and abbreviations. As the chap had rang to speak to the IT Manager (we don't have one, but I deal with the server and client PCs - we're only a small company) I didn't know what he was on about, which he set off in a rant about how I wasn't a qualified...

We also get calls from USA 'boiler rooms' for some reason...

people like to see themselves as making right choices in life

That could explain the "brand wars" that seem to go on, people seem to validate themselves and their life choices through the "correct" choice of electronic tat.

Sega vs. Sony

Sony vs. Microsoft

Apple vs. Microsoft

iOS vs. Android

Some get almost religious in their zealotry.

No one wants to be labeled "Betamax Man" it seems.

Meh...

We got a call at home a couple of weeks ago, that I answered.

Q: Am I speaking to the home owner?

Me: Yes.

Q: Can I ask, do you have a working freezer or fridge/freezer in your home?

Me: What business is it of yours?

Cue a tirade of 'how dare I speak to someone like that' ' you wouldn't like it if you rang someone and they were that rude' etc. etc.

That could explain the "brand wars" that seem to go on, people seem to validate themselves and their life choices through the "correct" choice of electronic tat.

Sega vs. Sony

Sony vs. Microsoft

Apple vs. Microsoft

iOS vs. Android

Some get almost religious in their zealotry.

No one wants to be labeled "Betamax Man" it seems.

Windows Phone anyone? laugh.gif

I always hang up immediately when the caller is trying to sell me something etc. Don't even bother saying anything.

If they have something important to say, they can put it in writing.

I always hang up immediately when the caller is trying to sell me something etc. Don't even bother saying anything.

If they have something important to say, they can put it in writing.

They wouldn't know who or where to write to. ;)

They wouldn't know who or where to write to. ;)

Normally they are ringing because somehow or other they have my details (address etc).

Even with my bank I put the phone down. If it's something important, they can write. I don't want them ringing me up at random times trying to offer me an insurance policy (or something).

Normally they are ringing because somehow or other they have my details (address etc).

Even with my bank I put the phone down. If it's something important, they can write. I don't want them ringing me up at random times trying to offer me an insurance policy (or something).

I am on TPS and no marketing.....so when I ask where they got my number, their little story is, it was a randomly generated number....yeah right.....some company sold it to them more likely. ;)