House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Labour Coup: Secret Letters Reveal How Ed Balls Plotted To Overthrow Tony Blair

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/8566983/Labour-coup-secret-letters-reveal-how-Ed-Balls-plotted-to-overthrow-Tony-Blair.html

Mr Balls, as well as the current Labour leader Ed Miliband, began scheming to divide their party within weeks of the 2005 general election in a plot codenamed Project Volvo, which was launched as London was under attack from Islamic terrorists.

This newspaper has seen letters between Mr Blair and Gordon Brown which reveal the extraordinary rift at the heart of Labour.

The cache of documents show for the first time Mr Brown’s feelings towards Mr Blair in his own words and handwriting, material which has previously only been the subject of speculation and second-hand reports from anonymous sources.

Mr Brown makes it clear, in a series of memos, that he regarded his rival as a “muddled” lightweight whose obsession with spin destroyed trust in politics. He used the perception of “lies” over the Iraq War to try to force Mr Blair’s early departure.

Mr Brown ordered Mr Balls to take a “brutal” approach to cleanse the Labour Party of Mr Blair’s influence.

More than 30 people, including figures in politics, business and the arts, are named as being involved. Most were rewarded with peerages or government positions by Mr Brown.

Private memos between Mr Brown and Mr Balls heavily criticise Mr Blair, and the pair discussed how to undermine the Prime Minister.

The disclosure of more than 30 documents will call into question Mr Balls’s senior role in the party, as he emerges as a deeply divisive character whose public statements and private activities have been at odds.

Mr Balls has previously insisted he had “never ever” been involved in attempts to undermine colleagues.

The files show how Mr Balls was at the centre of an extraordinary attempt to broker a deal between Mr Brown and Mr Blair to let the Chancellor become prime minister.

Whereas Mr Brown was a political heavyweight.....

Still nice to see the delightful Balls tangled up in all this.

Still nice to see the delightful Balls tangled up in all this.

Have you thought about re-arranging some of the words in that sentence. :lol:

I am curious who handed Balls' papers to the Telegraph?

Either way, the more I learn about Brown and Balls the more I dislike them. That younger Milliband is light-weight IMPO but, allegedly, quite a plotter if you believe Press articles such as this. Could never vote for the man.

Either way, the more I learn about Brown and Balls the more I dislike them.

And the more I learn the more I like them. I also quite like the Archbishop of Canterbury. :P

Either way, the more I learn about Brown and Balls the more I dislike them.

Hard as it may be to believe, Balls is actually even more unpleasant in person.

And the more I learn the more I like them. I also quite like the Archbishop of Canterbury. :P

...I suppose people are attracted to their own kind ....greedy lefties.... :rolleyes:

Instead, they ended up with Project Vulva front man in charge.....cant rememebr his name Im afraid

Look on the bright side... if this clique of idiots had not taken power Brown may still have been chancellor.

But no, instead they stabbed the most successful Labour PM ever in the back. What genius.

You would think they at least had an idea what they wanted to do with power, once it was in their clammy hands.

...I suppose people are attracted to their own kind ....greedy lefties.... :rolleyes:

Indeed...........both hypocritical pigs who like to tell people how to live their lives while growing up and rolling in privilege themselves.

I have also met Balls once; even if I leave out his crimes while serving Liebour he is an arrogant, bullying, near clinically obese thug with a number of mannerisms that indicate psychological instability as with his old boss. Amusing to see his true personality once again revealed despite the BBC's ongoing attempts to talk up one of their poster boys.

What the likes of you like is less relevant by the day.

Hard as it may be to believe, Balls is actually even more unpleasant in person.

I can believe that.

I suspect the TV screen isolates us far too much from the sleeze of politicians.

Have you seen the documents?

Such as this one?

We had a PM who is incapable of spelling, and types everything in upper case. A ten year old could do better.

Talk about maximum imbecile. These people are only capable of grabbing power, they care little for it's application other than the smiting of their enemies.

Ed Balls is a lying and deceitful disgrace of a politician.

Watch the vid of him being interviewed by Andrew Neil....Balls is like a pig on a stick.

http://order-order.com/2011/06/10/balls-memos-lies-and-videotape/

Everything that Andrew Neil confronts him with is met with a weak and pathetic denial.

Thanks Tahoma for posting the Brown documents...incredible that a so called University Graduate masquerading as a Prime Minister

could not spell or write in basic English. Moron is too kind a word to describe Brown.

No replies please on the excuse of Brown's eyesight. I have clients who are also partially sighted and can write and spell in a perfect manner.

Look on the bright side... if this clique of idiots had not taken power Brown may still have been chancellor.

But no, instead they stabbed the most electorally successful Labour PM ever in the back. What genius.

You would think they at least had an idea what they wanted to do with power, once it was in their clammy hands.

Let's be precise at what Blair was good at, getting elected. Like the rest of them (blue & yellow included) he couldn't run a newspaper stand.........

Edited by John The Pessimist

I am curious who handed Balls' papers to the Telegraph?

Either way, the more I learn about Brown and Balls the more I dislike them. That younger Milliband is light-weight IMPO but, allegedly, quite a plotter if you believe Press articles such as this. Could never vote for the man.

Yep. Brown and Balls are are amongst the most disgusting and despicable people I have ever seen in my whole life.

How come the Labour party put these two in leadership positions?!

Absolutely incomprehensible.

On the other hand, it was very interesting to see Blair's letter to Brown. Blair's main conditions were related to public services reforms, and not to himself. That was interesting. Blair was still trying to govern, and in the right direction IMPO, reforms, still trying to overcome road-block Brown. I think Blair was much better than Brown.

Brown blocked the needed reforms, and gave us a credit bubble instead. Genius! :angry:

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Let's be precise at what Blair was good at, getting elected. Like the rest of them (blue & yellow included) he couldn't run a newspaper stand.........

I've always maintained that Blair was the worst of the lot, simply because he was electable. Balls and Brown are loathsome, but Blair is/was truly dangerous.

+ 1

I was thinking in the same lines. But instead of "greedy" I think it is: bitter, angry, destructive, unreconstructed Old Labour

Hence the support Brown and Balls get from the traditional class-war types.

How come the Labour party put these two in leadership positions?!

Absolutely incomprehensible.

:angry:

They weren't 'put' there. They fought their way into power, their ambitions were very, very serious. A huge contingent of the movement were behind them. Think of that!?

They spent the whole time in power undermining Blair's attempts to modernise the Labour party. Removing Blair asap was always the plan.

I've always maintained that Blair was the worst of the lot, simply because he was electable. Balls and Brown are loathsome, but Blair is/was truly dangerous.

In a way, I may agree with you. I do think Blair was trying to do the right thing - modernise our public services, with market oriented reforms. Trying to break up the cartel of public services providers, in benefit of the recipients of these services. But that may be impossible within the Labour party, where the providers are much better organised and therefore much more influential than the general population.

And if it is impossible for the Labour party to do that, then Blair was in effect an electoral con. And very believable, 'cause he himself believed he would be able to deliver these reforms. In this aspect, I agree with you. Sadly. 'Cause Blair's New Labour program was broadly correct.

Cameron is now trying to implement it. Let's hope he will manage to do it.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

In a way, I may agree with you. I do think Blair was trying to do the right thing - modernise our public services, with market oriented reforms. Trying to break up the cartel of public services providers, in benefit of the recipients of these services. But that may be impossible within the Labour party, where the providers are much better organised and therefore much more influential than the general population.

And if it impossible for the Labour party to do that, then Blair was in effect an electoral con. And very believable, 'cause he himself believed he would be able to deliver these reforms. In this aspect, I agree with you. Sadly. 'Cause Blair's New Labour program was broadly correct.

Cameron is now trying to implement it. Let's hope he will manage to do it.

In other words Blair was trying to turn Labour into a nicer version of the Tories.

A lot of people, me included, don't think market orientated reforms work in the public sector. All you end up with is private monopolies.

In other words Blair was trying to turn Labour into a nicer version of the Tories.

Or Cameron is now trying to turn the Conservatives into a more rational version of the Labour party? I don't see it like that. I think both leaderships have learnt a lot from international policy studies, and are converging to a more centrist, technocratic, pragmatic position.

A lot of people, me included, don't think market orientated reforms work in the public sector. All you end up with is private monopolies.

In many cases you do have this problem, when a single infrastructure is involved, like the train network, or utilities. But in others you don't, like with schools and health. You can have vouchers-like systems for both. Competition is possible here, and it can work very well. And luckily these 2 areas (schools and health) are most important.

Christ, the man can barely type a sentence (in uppercase of course) without a typo. It goes to show how effective the PR operation was to make him seem prudent and competent.

Edit: He states 'I HAVE LONG TERM ISSUES'.

A rare hint of self-awareness.

Edit 2: He was still using Compuserve in 2006! I wonder if 114021.605@compuserve.com is still his email address?

Edited by tahoma

+1