House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Tony Blair: European President

I realise such a prospect will strike dread in the hearts of Anti European, Anti New Labour types.

But seriously - wouldn't it be great to see Europe acting as one under an elected president - and no doubt Tony would be a good candidate - the EU being the largest trading block - we would have a much greater influence.

We constantly listen to the mantra of the US being the largest superpower, and then China being the largest superpower sometime this Century.

Why can't Europe be the leader? Have we no sense of pride?

Tony Blair European President

Tony Blair has called for the creation of a directly-elected EU president – in what appeared to be an extraordinary public job application.

The former Prime Minister suggested the new president would be able to strut the world stage, wielding power and influence beyond the wildest dreams of individual member states.

He said Britain was now too small to have the ‘weight and influence’ of the past on the world stage unless it was ‘part of that European power as well’.

But he said Europe was held back by a lack of ‘strong, collective leadership’. He said that although the EU was created out of the desire for peace in Europe, its role in the modern world was to project European power and influence.

In an interview he called for 'a new Marshall Plan' for the East to ensure that democracy emerges following the Arab Spring.

A directly elected EU president would have the largest electoral mandate in the world, with a constituency of some 386million voters.

He said the process of holding an election would give Europeans a greater affinity with the EU.

It would also change citizens' beliefs that unity was principally about sustaining peace.

I realise such a prospect will strike dread in the hearts of Anti European, Anti New Labour types.

But seriously - wouldn't it be great to see Europe acting as one under an elected president - and no doubt Tony would be a good candidate - the EU being the largest trading block - we would have a much greater influence.

We constantly listen to the mantra of the US being the largest superpower, and then China being the largest superpower sometime this Century.

Ein Volk. Ein Reich. Ein Fuehrer.

Tony Blair European President

Given his track record, it would mean permanent war - but using all of Europe's forces, not just ours.

Take anyone as leader except this feeble excuse for a human being. This $%$% with monstrosity in tow will find a way to profit from it.

Are you like, on drugs or something?

Are you like, on drugs or something?

No I am not on Drugs - could you elborate on what exactly your saying is wrong with my opinion.

You sound like UK, tabloid reading, Anti European - still living in the past, thinking the UK can somehow complete as a world power.

That the problem with the UK, they have no sense of the bigger picture

Anyone who feels the hand of destiny on their shoulder should be locked up.

http://www.newstatesman.com/200309290040

Have to admit I loved that speech, there are so many great tony speechs, he was a legend. Loved the whole third way philosphy - at least new labour/democrats defined something new. Whats the big plan from the conservatives and libs?

The conservatives are just same old rubbish, cut taxes, make it easier for businesses, free enterprise etc - no big ideas - bland and charmless - bascially the party of the rich, nothing positive.

At least new Labour attempted to take the best part of Thatchers Conservatives and try to raise employment, minimum wages, and invest more Education and Health Service.

At least new Labour attempted to take the best part of Thatchers Conservatives and try to raise employment, minimum wages, and invest more Education and Health Service.

By funding it with ever increasing amounts of debt?

They didn't invest in the health service they merely increase wages in the sector. One report I read stated the NHS was unable to spend the money thrown at it, the only way it would be spent would be to higher more managers and higher wages.

Labour failed to raise employment in a sustainable way, you need productive jobs, creating more boxes for people to tick does not make an economy.

If you want to obey Tony, by all means email him for your daily orders.

leave me alone though, please.

Yep.. I'd like to see a united Europe (although culturally challenging.. mainly because of the language barrier).

I would rather have Mr Bean in charge than Tony Blair though.

wouldn't it be great to see Europe acting as one under an elected president

Frankly..... no.