House Price Crash Forum

Did anyone see today's episode?

Another case of some poor hapless mug married to a woman that "just had to have it" who stands by while he fixes/pays for it all.

When faced with re-roofing (to make the property water tight) and putting in a new ceiling (to stop the kids burning to a crisp) the woman's face drops.. "but that's the budget we had set aside for twigs in vases" (actually she said "decorating", but you and I know what she meant)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another case of some poor hapless mug married to a woman that "just had to have it" who stands by while he fixes/pays for it all.

When faced with re-roofing (to make the property water tight) and putting in a new ceiling (to stop the kids burning to a crisp) the woman's face drops.. "but that's the budget we had set aside for twigs in vases" (actually she said "decorating", but you and I know what she meant)

Usually some of the sexism on this site kind of annoys me a bit but sometimes it is spot on.... :)

It all just shows the value of getting a proper survey done.

I nearly put an offer in for a house I liked a few months ago. There were comments in the home report regarding being unable to lock the back door and a huge great big crack could be seen in one of the walls so I moved on as could smell a big repair bill. A colleague from my work drove past the place the other day to the view of a huge amount of scaffolding around the side of the house where the door and chimney breast were, apparently serious repair work was going on. It was a nice house but I really want to keep any spare cash I have for twig purchasing - I really want to add value from the day I move in.

Anyone seen tonights show ?

Couple allegedly have ploughed £50k into their home.. not from what I could see, looks like it hadn't been touched in years.. looks like nobody had even picked up a duster in years, even the cobwebs had dust on them.

There was a leaky roof. damp walls, so bad that their 20yr old son could no longer have his new born son to stay with him (naturally he's split from the mother) .. but nobody had bothered to go into the loft in 8yrs to see where the damp was coming from.. so was it something they wanted to fix or not ?

Turns out they did have a structural survey 10yrs ago, but then ignored everything that had been highlighted would cause them problems.

A quick lash up in the kitchen with some cheap units and another bodge job on the roof and the show was wrapped up.

If there was a couple less deserving of help I've not seen them.

Amazed this weeks didn't get a mention as its a classic!

Just watching a repeat now. Terraced house in a former mining area in Lancashire. After a wild goose chase with "geophys" over collapsed mining tunnels (there were none) its the same old problems which you would investigate first of all. Damaged, collapsed drains.

Also they had a full structural survey before buying, and just didn't read it. The problems were already in there! blink.gif

Dare say the house will get a complete makeover by the end of the show!

There should really be an intelligence test set before being able to buy a house.

Edited by John Steed