House Price Crash Forum

Was wondering, if they go to sell it and the buyers have a survey, it'll still set alarm bells ringing surely? OK so it doesn't appear to be falling down now, but I'd still run a mile

The huge gap in the roof hadn't gone, they had just put up a brace to stop it spreading further.

The wall still had ties in it. Etc.

Guess theyll have to wait for another corpulent myopic woman without her bloke in tow that 'just has to have it', no doubt this time wooed by the stark cold kitchen that'll go out of date quicker than a ham sandwich.. But itll be ok, he used to play with Lego as a child, so he'll be up to repairing anything, just like the current owner.

Edited by exiges
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, another question!

What's the logic behind a flat roof, either in the UK or at all? Considering there are so many issues with them why are the used? Is it a cost saving thing? Why not just have a slight pitch for the water to run off?

Flat foofs are cheaper.

............One question as well. When they were securing the floor joists to the bowing wall they used massive 'screws' which were drilled in from the outside to effectively secure the wall to the joist. How do you know where to drill to hit the centre of the joist? There was no indication, just Beany and a massive drill going straight at it!

Deliberately miss low by, say, 6". Find your ceiling joists (shouldn't be difficult), you will then have an accurate internal reference hole - unless your initial estimate is way off.

Which has never happened to me, of course ...

Incredible how some people can spend 270k on a house (a period house no less!) without even bothering to spend a measely few hundred on a proper survey.

Felt sorry for the poor husband, all the shots showed him slogging it out by himself.

I didn't see the start of the program so didn't catch how much work the guy had done. Was the extension down to him or was that already there?

Already there by all accounts, but at the start of the show the sweaty Betty said "My bloke is a shop fitter, so I thought he'd be able to fix anything wrong with the house". : belm :

I think the "reward" for a ritual on screen humiliation, is a total makeover at C4's expense. unsure.gif

...sounds about right.......has got to be better a better deal/reward than Changing Rooms where they changed an alright room into a ruined room. ;)

<br />"Would you do it all again ? " - asked Beany<br /><br />"Certainly not" replied the orange-u-tan..<br /><br />She didn't bloody lift a finger the lazy mare.<br /><br />Interestingly Beany only said if they were to sell they "should get their money back",  a far cry from Property Ladders of old where just by sitting on the property for 6 months they'd have "made" £20k<br />

'Orange' >>> anagrams

Gar One

An Ogre

A Goner

:)

Maybe they stopped any remedial scrubbing and let it get extra mouldy in preparation for the camera visits at the director's request - the moulds make better telly that way. (Children's lungs be damned.)

Durch, as an "old timer", what do you think about my concern (previous post), that this insane "bubble culture" could take years to fade away, or even worse, thinking about the war generation, still economising on everything, to this days, could this bubble generation keep behaving in the same stupid way till death?!" :ph34r:

You know, when I read your post it struck a chill note of inevitability down my spine. I could just see all those spoilt old codgers littering their McDonalds boxes as they zimmer their way down the road.

But it will matter, only if humanity carries on.

Personally, I have an unusual view of the future. I don't have any faith that human problems (racism, war, theft, deceit, prostitution, slavery, poverty, sexism, etc.) will ever be sorted out. I think instead, within a few decades, there will be a technological singularity, and in effect humans will be usurped (hopefully not violently), and whatever exists then will have its own different set of problems - but not the same ones. (A lot of our problems are biological hangovers. Racism or sexism won't make any sense to a machine intelligence or even to something posthuman that can nanotechnologically alter its own sex or colour in a trice.)

Edited by Sir John Steed

You know, when I read your post it struck a chill note of inevitability down my spine. I could just see all those spoilt old codgers littering their McDonalds boxes as they zimmer their way down the road.

:lol:

But it will matter, only if humanity carries on.

Personally, I have an unusual view of the future. I don't have any faith that human problems (racism, war, theft, deceit, prostitution, slavery, poverty, sexism, etc.) will ever be sorted out. I think instead, within a few decades, there will be a technological singularity, and in effect humans will be usurped (hopefully not violently), and whatever exists then will have its own different set of problems - but not the same ones. (A lot of our problems are biological hangovers. Racism or sexism won't make any sense to a machine intelligence or even to something posthuman that can nanotechnologically alter its own sex or colour in a trice.)

You do have a good point there. Not sure if it will be just in "a few" (2 or 3?) decades, it may take a few more, bit I think you are thinking in the right direction.

Thanks. :)

On an optimistic note, I don't think machines will necessarily "take over". I think (or hope?) some merging is more likely. And not necessarily with some cold, metal machine, but more probably with some form of artificial biological enhancement. Some carbon based, "fleshier" kind of machine, like a new heart, or lungs and liver! And I'll be able to start smoking again!, and forget this annoying 4 units/day! :D

With mature nanotechnology constantly scavenging and repairing all our cells, we can live on pizza, gin and fags, but look like a well-rested supermodel. The pinnacle of human achievement. :D

Exactly! :D

God I love the future.

Perhaps we'll even have our flying cars! Finally! :D

Did anyone see today's episode?

Once again, fools decide to cut corners and not get a proper survey done on the house.

It made me wonder just how basic that survey was? Not picking up on the floor and ceilings?

Did anyone see today's episode?

Once again, fools decide to cut corners and not get a proper survey done on the house.

More show off's that can't be bothered to do a structural survey.

Did they not spot the dodgy floor's and ceiling on viewings, or were they besotted with "living the dream?"

I missed the orang-u tan in this weeks episode.

It made me wonder just how basic that survey was? Not picking up on the floor and ceilings?

The bank requires a survey before they can issue a mortgage. It's not really a proper survey, it's more of a valuation. They pretty much just want to verify that a house exists and that tenure exists on the land.