House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Would you do it all again ? " - asked Beany

"Certainly not" replied the orange-u-tan..

She didn't bloody lift a finger the lazy mare.

Interestingly Beany only said if they were to sell they "should get their money back", a far cry from Property Ladders of old where just by sitting on the property for 6 months they'd have "made" £20k

Interestingly Beany only said if they were to sell they "should get their money back", a far cry from Property Ladders of old where just by sitting on the property for 6 months they'd have "made" £20k

But they were able to "live the dream" at the end, and invite assembled creditors round for drinks.

we just had to get on the telly, even if it meant buying a sh*thole and subjecting our toddler to the dangers of deadly fungi, so there it is we dont regret one minute in fact we loved it, and sponging money from friends and family was well quite frankly a bonus, any way look at my fat face isn't it simply lovely

:lol:

This thread is great!

Well done guys!!

+1!

+1

But they were able to "live the dream" at the end, and invite assembled creditors round for drinks.

Nobody smiles in that family. Nobody seems happy, husband in particular - saddled with debt, including with his father-in-law, thanks to his "I just have to have it" wife).

Not sure that marriage will last.

Well... actually... he may stay. 'Cause if he goes for a divorce, he will be homeless, she will stay in the house, and we will pay for it. :o

I hope he stays. :(

Nobody smiles in that family. Nobody seems happy, husband in particular - saddled with debt, including with his father-in-law, thanks to his "I just have to have it" wife).

Not sure that marriage will last.

Well... actually... he may stay. 'Cause if he goes for a divorce, he will be homeless, she will stay in the house, and we will pay for it. :o

I hope he stays. :(

Didn't look like a home at the end did it? You know where kids play? Suspiciously like the end product of a TV makeover.

"this will become the family room" announced the orang-u tan grandly.

Didn't look much lived in to me.

Edited by Sir John Steed

He was painting newly plastered walls and the kitchen and shutters in the lounge look pricey. How much did they spend?

Oh they have spent 30k when they only had 10k to start with. Borrowed off mum and dad and friends.

Fab.

The drains were paid by their insurers, the roof was very cheap, DIY. Then she borrowed as much as possible, and spent £30k on a MDF-kitchen-for-suckers.

Her parents and husband were not smiling.

Actually, nor was she.

Still this insane bubble culture.

BTW, how many years will it take for people to snap out of it???

Or, worse, will they ever?? Think of that war generation, they still economise on toilet papers! To this days! Will this bubble generation keep behaving the same stupid way till death?! :(

When I (half) watched the prog, I couldn't quite work out the postioning of next door.

I don't think I've ever seen a semi-detached house with two totally different styles joined together. Odd.

Once they had the problems sorted (roof, mould, drains) there seemed to be a massive jump from the house being a tip, to the house fully completed! One minute the guy was pealing old wallpaper off a mouldy wall, the next he was splashing white paint onto a freshly plastered room, nothing inbetween! The kitchen and extension also seemed to undergo the same transformation.

One question as well. When they were securing the floor joists to the bowing wall they used massive 'screws' which were drilled in from the outside to effectively secure the wall to the joist. How do you know where to drill to hit the centre of the joist? There was no indication, just Beany and a massive drill going straight at it!

One question as well. When they were securing the floor joists to the bowing wall they used massive 'screws' which were drilled in from the outside to effectively secure the wall to the joist. How do you know where to drill to hit the centre of the joist? There was no indication, just Beany and a massive drill going straight at it!

They used them on the last series and I think they said then how they worked it out - but didn't notice it mentioned today. Guess work perhaps :)

What's the logic behind a flat roof, either in the UK or at all? Considering there are so many issues with them why are the used? Is it a cost saving thing? Why not just have a slight pitch for the water to run off?

I've often wondered that. When I see the words"flat roof" I actually read "leaking roof"

They used them on the last series and I think they said then how they worked it out - but didn't notice it mentioned today. Guess work perhaps :)

Use a tap measure to get the position of the first one after the first one it's just an offset along the wall with an occasional check to make sure.

All seemed to me to be a bit of a bodge though and I would have preferred proper ties and a cheaper kitchen myself.

Enjoyed the program, the old man was a buildings inspector so I've heard lots of similar stories.