House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

91% Increase In Couples Renting With Others As Rents Soar

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/8564215/Tenants-priced-out-of-the-housing-market-as-rents-rise.html

Tenants priced out of the housing market as rents rise
Increased tenant demand and low levels of rental property coming onto the market pushed rents higher in the three months to April, according to the latest RICS Residential Lettings Survey..../
In the past 12 months, the number of couples looking to rent with other flatmates has increased 91pc – and landlords are catering for this growing demand. There are four times as many double rooms on the market now than in May 2010.

What a state this country is getting into. Priced out of buying and now priced out of renting.

Time for regulation and strict rent controls based on average earnings.

bah, leave the country more like. Go somewhere with a bit of sunshine and a beach.

This is my likely solution now.

Falls are happening, but it's a grind, and in the meantime im in rented. These days being in rented increasingly means renting from a financially illiterate reluctant landlord who can't sell the place at their stupid price. That means more and more properties as a proportion of the total rentals are for sale and to rent at the same time. And we know what that means... Viewings without your permission, and a greater likelihood of being thrown out if someone is daft enough to buy it. Plus the reluctant landlords are skint and completely unaware of their obligations, the renter is treated like dirt, any required work is not done or done badly. And on top of this more and more people are cramming Into these poor properties, the standard of living is falling through the floor and it won't get any better until the falls are such that it's worth buying. There's a while to go before we get there.

So fk it, I'm off. For a trial few months I'm off to southern Europe when the winter starts to bite. Don't know precisely where yet, im looking into it. But im done with this.

Any recommendations on where to go? I want to stay in the eu, southern is better as i intend to be there for winter.

Falls are happening, but it's a grind, and in the meantime im in rented. These days being in rented increasingly means renting from a financially illiterate reluctant landlord who can't sell the place at their stupid price. That means more and more properties as a proportion of the total rentals are for sale and to rent at the same time. And we know what that means... Viewings without your permission, and a greater likelihood of being thrown out if someone is daft enough to buy it. Plus the reluctant landlords are skint and completely unaware of their obligations, the renter is treated like dirt, any required work is not done or done badly. And on top of this more and more people are cramming Into these poor properties, the standard of living is falling through the floor and it won't get any better until the falls are such that it's worth buying. There's a while to go before we get there.

So fk it, I'm off. For a trial few months I'm off to southern Europe when the winter starts to bite. Don't know precisely where yet, im looking into it. But im done with this.

Any recommendations on where to go? I want to stay in the eu, southern is better as i intend to be there for winter.

I find Portugal appealing--less brash than Spain and Duro wine is the unsung hero of reds. Atlantic Coast much niocer than the Med with real sand and better waves. Avoid anything too close to Faro and you'll love it too.

Shame you want to stay in the EU. Florida is still great IMO and the prices are brilliant (not just property but standard of living etc.) The wrinklies still keep prices down all round.

Shame you want to stay in the EU. Florida is still great IMO and the prices are brilliant (not just property but standard of living etc.) The wrinklies still keep prices down all round.

Main reason for that is work visa, my understanding is it's not simple to get to live and work there. I work from home for months at a time, so would be working in my residence.

You don't have to agree to viewings at all. Its an AST, having the place to yourself is the entire point of it. The idea of having viewings to make yourself voluntarily homeless is ridiculous!

You don't have to agree to viewings at all. Its an AST, having the place to yourself is the entire point of it. The idea of having viewings to make yourself voluntarily homeless is ridiculous!

Yeah I know the rules, but they're often ignored and I've never heard of any enforcement action in response to that. Reluctant landlords generally haven't got a clue, the whole rental market now is more hassle than its worth.

Rule number one (IMO): job comes first. Then you pick the location.

It's all very well moving into a beautiful farmhouse in rural Spain, but you still need money, which usually means a job. And there is a reason why zillions of young'uns from Southern Europe have moved to cold, wet London ;)

Rule number one (IMO): job comes first. Then you pick the location.

It's all very well moving into a beautiful farmhouse in rural Spain, but you still need money, which usually means a job. And there is a reason why zillions of young'uns from Southern Europe have moved to cold, wet London ;)

I work from my residence for months at a time, just need an internet connection

I work from my residence for months at a time, just need an internet connection

Buy a mobile home and get a broadband dongle. Then you have security of tenure and can drive wherever it's sunny whenever you like.

In the past 12 months, the number of couples looking to rent with other flatmates has increased 91pc – and landlords are catering for this growing demand. There are four times as many double rooms on the market now than in May 2010.
I've been saying for years on here that the trigger for a rent collapse will be when the economy stalls, incomes fall behind inflation, and everyone starts looking for a lodger to help pay the bills.

People like their privacy and don't want to take in a lodger, but eventually it simply becomes a matter of maths... they need the money. How many of you DON'T know someone who has a spare double room and is thinking of taking in a lodger? (If you're a boomer and think you don't know anyone, in fact you do, they are just too embarrased to admit it in public... needing to take in a lodger is still considered the ultimate boomer-failure.)

It pulls the bottom of the rental market out, which causes the rest to collapse totally. Instead of renting a crappy flat, Joe Bloggs and now rent his mates spare double bedroom with en-suite.

This whole situation is made worse/better by the fact that during the boom everyone was encouraged to buy the biggest house they could afford, as the more you spend, the more in £ it rises in value. Thus we have single people living in houses with 3 double bedrooms.

uplift in the amount of people advertising for roommates as well.virtually double this time last year.
People need exta income so they get a lodger.
any required work is not done or done badly.

He'll have a hard time selling the place if it's in disrepair.

Guest eight

Alvor on the Algarve beckons.

I was thinking about that, but I've gone off it now.

eight

Btw Several Spanish dropzones are looking for ground crew. I.e. ground control, lift organising amd driving the fuel truck. And general lacky.

Pay is not great but accomodation is included and you can skydive for a 10% of the usual ticket rate (2 Euros).

Btw before you ask

Ground controllers run out to the landing field and then talk the rookies down to 1500ft, by which time their instructors will have hit the ground (hopefully softly) and will grab the radio from you.

Lift organising you sit at the manifest and organise teams and most efficient drop load. Like you don't fill a load without jump masters or people on consols without instructors.

Fuel truck self explanitory needs no HGV licence as it is on private land.

Lacky collecting people from the airport and taking them to the airport. Driving the paying customers to the accomodation. Booking people in checking paperwork. Also rescuing people who land far away in their landy defender.

Need to speak Spanish though.

Ahem I forgot to mention lackey also plays the role of dead weight as well at some DZs. I.e. if a tandem instructor needs somebody to practice on, you're it. If an instructor needs somebody to practice throwing about in the air. You're it too!

The last guy who did this at the DZs I know are hiring qualified to be an instructor himself very very quickly and was asked to shoot camera as and when needed.

I used to laugh at the pilots when they ritually asked why one would voluntarily fall out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. I'm afraid that ascent I get older I kinda understand the point now... good on you for continuing to do something you love, takes a lot of time, effort, and not a small amount of dosh. Handy for meeting fit adrenaline junkie burds tho.

Edit: to go back ot, rents aren't "soaring", disposable incomes are shrinking.

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

Are we sure all these alleged increases in landlord yields are real? Landlords have costs too and inflation will be attacking them too. Gas boiler parts and washing machines etc.

What else do they expect, if you allow cost of living to rise everyone is prone to taking REAL austerity measures, although I would think living with 4 people in a 2 bed flat is probably a sign that not only is the recession not over, but our way of life has just gone backwards 65 years. Psychosocially it will be interesting how the keeping up with the Jones will cope with this serfdom lifestyle. Or explaining over the garden fence why their children have joined the ranks of the stinking poor.

The UK economy is approaching a wonderful booming period, however its one of those big budget film finale James Bond booms without the prosperity bit.

What else do they expect, if you allow cost of living to rise everyone is prone to taking REAL austerity measures, although I would think living with 4 people in a 2 bed flat is probably a sign that not only is the recession not over, but our way of life has just gone backwards 65 years. Psychosocially it will be interesting how the keeping up with the Jones will cope with this serfdom lifestyle. Or explaining over the garden fence why their children have joined the ranks of the stinking poor.

The UK economy is approaching a wonderful booming period, however its one of those big budget film finale James Bond booms without the prosperity bit.

More renters will be sub-par consumers as a result of their living arrangements anyway, by doubling up accomodation even that lowered demand will be halved again for many items as they are shared - everything from the toaster to .

Consumer economy going backwards at a rapid lick. At the very low end it will mean a shift to living standards/costs (maybe on a permanent basis) to compete with the migrant labour that is using the asme technique to undercut local wages (except they have the benefit of leaving that lifestyle at any time to go and spend any saved earnings in a non hypernflated cost base back home and buy themself a an altogether different one).

If everyone in rented sqished up we could have a massive number of empty rented properties... That'd sort the rents out ...

Unless there really is an endless stream of immigrants looking to rent.