House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

efdemin

Windfarm Wars

Did anyone else watch windfarm wars on the BBC recently? It was a documentary that followed the locals and the developers as they fight over whether a wind farm can be built in their area.

I started watching it expecting to see the locals all be hateful nimbys but actually they weren't. Definitely nimby-ish but they had valid points about the various loopholes in the planning process.

The developers tried all the tricks to confuse and delay them so can't really say I was on their side either. The farmer whose land the turbines were going to be built on was pretty odious as you could see him already counting the money and bugger the rest of the village.

No real conclusions, but at least it was good to see something that wasn't poisoned by the VI agendas from either side.

Following that case, I can see why it took so long with RES not giving out agreed information. Just think if that chap hadn't challenged it, RES would have got planning on false facts.

However, on the whole I think they are a good thing. The sums involved could have bought that chaps house outright anyway, so the real winners were the legal team.

I know people who live near [modern] turnbines (about 1km away), and the only issue for them is how they look. I personally think they are ok, it may not be natural, but what is? Telegraph pole, houses... all man made and is part of modern life. This did start a volatile debate in our office, some people were dead against them but I think it's a necessary step towards being more self sufficient as a country.

Yup, watched it with the same preconception and came to the same conclusion, which the BBC rams down your throat, but the developers are quite undeniably shady.

Couldn't help but feel for the neighbours who'll have to put up for it. I'm sure they probably wouldn't have been that concerned about the results of the noise test, and I can't blame them for getting paranoid after the developers did everything they could to avoid the issue.

Wind farms certainly seem like a big con which benefits landowners at the cost of tax payers and local neighbourhoods. Like most things these days I guess.

I know people who live near [modern] turnbines (about 1km away), and the only issue for them is how they look. I personally think they are ok, it may not be natural, but what is? Telegraph pole, houses... all man made and is part of modern life. This did start a volatile debate in our office, some people were dead against them but I think it's a necessary step towards being more self sufficient as a country.

There are several near dropzones (since airfields are designed to take advantage of the wind this isn't a big deal) However when I pass it on the motorway you can tell if it is a jumpable day or not by how fast the blades are turning.