House Price Crash Forum
ken_ichikawa

Yet Another Tube Strike

Is this the strike in support of the driver who went through a red light at 50mph because he was on his mobile at the time?

No.

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=145208&int1stParentNodeID=89732

Arwyn Thomas, a long-standing RMT activist and driver at Morden was sacked on trumped-up disciplinary charges following unproven allegations made against him by strike breakers. The charges were wholly rejected at his interim relief tribunal in a case that has clear parallels with that of sacked and reinstated driver Eamonn Lynch.

Arwyn has been an RMT/NUR member for over 29 years and has held various positions in the union. As a result of his victory at the interim relief hearing at the Employment Tribunal on the grounds of his victimisation as an RMT activist Arwyn has been waiting at home on full pay for the opportunity to get back to work and do the job that Londoners are paying him to do - driving trains. RMT calculates that the combined cost in legal fees and wasted time and effort keeping Arwyn off work when he should be back in the cab is at least a quarter of a million pounds

http://uk.news.yahoo...-073211846.html

Another day another strike, youd have thought the London underground Corporation would have automated its trains by now

Some are automatic... makes their wage even more ridiculous IMHO....

My link

In 1996 the line was fitted with automatic train operation, and this was brought into service in sections over the next few years.

bob crow makes me laugh when he talks about solidauirty between working class people.....given he's on a ton plus p.a.

He believes in solidarity - he even sponges off the state for a discounted council house, like many other parasites.

He believes in solidarity - he even sponges off the state for a discounted council house, like many other parasites.

Council rents are cheaper than the private sector, but they are not as cheap as they used to be.

Anyway, they can boot him out and stick someone in who does not pay a penny and has the rent paid by the taxpayer instead.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

Council rents are cheaper than the private sector, but they are not as cheap as they used to be.

Anyway, they can boot him out and stick someone in who does not pay a penny and has the rent paid by the taxpayer instead.

I'd rather have unemployed people living in state-owned housing for free than have the government pay their rent in the private sector. I'm tired of my wages competing with the council's bottomless pockets every time I have to look for a rental.

Some are automatic... makes their wage even more ridiculous IMHO....

My link

Central, Victoria, Bakerloo and DLR are all automatic.

Jubilee is half automatic and will be fully auto in a couple of months.

Northern Line is scheduled to be auto in 2016ish

No plans for auto as of yet on Piccadilly.

Circle, District, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan are in the process of going auto (contract to install going through at the moment)

No plans for the waterloo and city.

Circle, District, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan are in the process of going auto (contract to install going through at the moment)

The Bakerloo is still driven manually. However, all the lines, auto or not, still have a driver/operator.

The only fully automatic railways which I can think of in the UK, without any staff on the train, are the ones at the the airports, like Gatwick and Stansted. The safety, infrastructure, service intensity and complexity issues on the London Underground currently make it that there will have to be a member of staff on the train.

The Bakerloo is still driven manually. However, all the lines, auto or not, still have a driver/operator.

The only fully automatic railways which I can think of in the UK, without any staff on the train, are the ones at the the airports, like Gatwick and Stansted. The safety, infrastructure, service intensity and complexity issues on the London Underground currently make it that there will have to be a member of staff on the train.

Yes, sorry. You're right about Bakerloo.

And yes, you can't get around the fact that a member of staff is needed on LU network. Auto or not.

Yes, sorry. You're right about Bakerloo.

And yes, you can't get around the fact that a member of staff is needed on LU network. Auto or not.

It was a good summary/list of auto driven lines and the automatic signalling being rolled out.

Thinking about it there was an underground line in London which had no drivers on the trains, which operated until fairly recently, however it only ever carried mail bags.

5656772350_1fc6c92a76_o.jpg

I'd rather have unemployed people living in state-owned housing for free than have the government pay their rent in the private sector. I'm tired of my wages competing with the council's bottomless pockets every time I have to look for a rental.

Would you be happy with the council hoovering up every private house for sale to achieve that?

I thought that the DLR was fully automatic.

Would you be happy with the council hoovering up every private house for sale to achieve that?

There be a lot more council houses for the genuinely destitute if they weren't full of rich old tw@ts like Bob Crow and Frank Dobson who got on the gravy train decades ago and are still there despite clearly needing no help from the state to house themselves.

Why do train drivers get 40 grand year but bus drivers get about half? After all, a bus driver has to addition task of steering.

Because loads of the adult population have a certificate that says they can drive motor vehicles, whilst hardly any have a certificate that says they can drive a train. Duh.

I thought that the DLR was fully automatic.

The Docklands Light Railway is automatic in the sense that the train is accelerated and braked by the trackside signalling and on board electronics, but the the passenger doors are opened and closed and the train started by a guard/passenger service agent, who can also drive the train should there be a failure of the automated system. If Bob Crow calls for a down tools on the DLR, the trains don't run.

They want to hop on the gravy train:

Groundbreaking’ pay deal for rail workers Union agrees no-dismissal clause for duration of Olympics

Rail unions have secured a “groundbreaking” pay deal for workers, which includes an Olympics-linked bonus and a no-sacking clause during London 2012.

The deal, agreed by RMT and other unions, means Network Rail (NR) workers will receive a 5.2 per cent pay rise this year, backdated to January, plus a further rise of RPI inflation plus 0.5 per cent from next January.

With RPI currently standing at 5.3 per cent, the RMT said the deal was worth more than 10 per cent over two years.

On top of this staff working on Olympics related projects will get a £500 bonus and will be covered by a no-dismissal clause throughout London 2012 after an agreement on the disputes procedure was reached between NR and the unions.

This dispute agreement also means that any outstanding or new dispute is automatically referred to Acas and no industrial action can take place while this is ongoing.

Staff travel subsidies have been improved and include an Olympic premium payment of £3.50 an hour for employees whose duties are affected beyond normal requirements during the Games.

About 10,000 staff out of 35,000 are covered by the deal including signallers, engineers, customer service staff and other NR employees.

But it is unclear whether such a deal could be extended to Tube drivers, who are currently threatening strike action over TfL’s treatment of two drivers.

Bob Crow, RMT general secretary, said: "The [NR] package recognises the important role that transport workers will be expected to play during the Games and rewards them financially while protecting their union rights at the same time."

Gerry Doherty, leader of the Transport Salaried Staffs Association, which is also covered by the deal, said: "This agreement will bring more pressure on the Mayor of London to improve his below-inflation pay offer to Tube staff this year and to secure a deal which rewards staff for their extra efforts during the Olympics next summer.

"At present he seems more interested in political posturing as part of his re-election campaign than sitting down with the unions and reaching a sensible agreement similar to the one Network Rail have just agreed."

David Higgins, Network Rail chief executive, said: “This is great news for the millions of people who will use the trains to enjoy the Olympics.

"Travellers get certainty that their journeys won’t be disrupted by industrial action during the games and our people get a fair deal linked to inflation and recognition of the vital role they’ll play in making this once-in-a-lifetime event, a success.”

http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm/articles/2011/05/groundbreaking-pay-deal-for-rail-workers.htm

Why do train drivers get 40 grand year but bus drivers get about half? After all, a bus driver has to addition task of steering.

And it apparently it takes 3 years to train a tube driver.

I'm pretty sure I could get a chimp doing it in a third of that, its one lever and one buttons to open/close the doors.

I would walk to walk everyday for 6 months if they shut the whole thing down and automated it.

******ing hate Bob Crow with a passion.

The waterloo and city only goes one stop... between waterloo and the city (bank station).

How hard could that be to automate?!? :blink:

Edited by SHERWICK