House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mayalabeille

Buying And Having Worries And Questions

Hello,

You might have read other thread where I was in the process of buying a house (good price, not worried about that), my partner lost his job... found another one and we are back on track. the survey has been done and we now have received the mortgage offer.

Now our solicitor discovered that the property extention building in 2000 does not have the building regulations certificate. It has the planning permission, a building notice has been agreed but apparently they never had the final control done.

This was done by the previous owners (not the ones that are selling to us).

The survey did not show anything wrong with the extension (home buyer survey), there is an indemnity insurance and my solicitor has asked the vendor to conduct a structural survey on the extension to see that every is good (after 10 years everything should be fine especially since our survey did not detect anything).

Anything except one thing: the ceiling between the garage and the master bedroom above (the lot represents the extension) is not fireproof. So anyway it would not comply with building regulations. I am not too worried about the lack of certificate because of the indemnity policy (which only cover the legal fee by the way) and because the extension was done over 10 years ago but

could this lack of compliances with fire regulations make my building insurance invalid if there was a fire?

Could just putting the needed fireproof alterations be enough if I needed to claim at a later date on our building insurance?

The garage is about 5 meters long and 3 meters wide, any idea of how much this would cost?

i would not be in a position to do that in the first few months I am in the house, should I declare this lack of fireproof ceiling to my insurance? Would any building insurance accept me?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

You might have read other thread where I was in the process of buying a house (good price, not worried about that), my partner lost his job... found another one and we are back on track. the survey has been done and we now have received the mortgage offer.

Now our solicitor discovered that the property extention building in 2000 does not have the building regulations certificate. It has the planning permission, a building notice has been agreed but apparently they never had the final control done.

This was done by the previous owners (not the ones that are selling to us).

The survey did not show anything wrong with the extension (home buyer survey), there is an indemnity insurance and my solicitor has asked the vendor to conduct a structural survey on the extension to see that every is good (after 10 years everything should be fine especially since our survey did not detect anything).

Anything except one thing: the ceiling between the garage and the master bedroom above (the lot represents the extension) is not fireproof. So anyway it would not comply with building regulations. I am not too worried about the lack of certificate because of the indemnity policy (which only cover the legal fee by the way) and because the extension was done over 10 years ago but

could this lack of compliances with fire regulations make my building insurance invalid if there was a fire?

Could just putting the needed fireproof alterations be enough if I needed to claim at a later date on our building insurance?

The garage is about 5 meters long and 3 meters wide, any idea of how much this would cost?

i would not be in a position to do that in the first few months I am in the house, should I declare this lack of fireproof ceiling to my insurance? Would any building insurance accept me?

Thank you for your help.

If you knew the construction did not meet fire regs you are obliged to inform your insurance company. I would phone them now and ask the consequences. Failure to notify them would give them an excuse to invalidate the insurance.

If you knew the construction did not meet fire regs you are obliged to inform your insurance company. I would phone them now and ask the consequences. Failure to notify them would give them an excuse to invalidate the insurance.

I am not insured yet as I have not bought it yet.

My view is to tell them of course and then when i have the money to get the ceiling fireproofed. But would any insurance company insure the property in the meantime?

My view is to tell them of course and then when i have the money to get the ceiling fireproofed. But would any insurance company insure the property in the meantime?

why don't you look up a number of property insurance brokers and have a candid chat with them over the phone, almost certainly for free

simples

and if you can't insure it you can't buy it

Edited by Si1

A surveyor should be able to confirm of you need to retrospectively add fire protection. If every property had to be updated every time the regulations changed tradesman would be laughing and home owners would be broke and frustrated. You just need to see if the extension meets the criteria at the time it was built (I think).

I can't see that this would have the slightest effect on Insurance.

There was a time that such constructions didn't need to be fireproofed. As insurance companies don't usually ask you to supply the dates an extension was built they wouldn't be able to feed this information into their quote.

A surveyor should be able to confirm of you need to retrospectively add fire protection. If every property had to be updated every time the regulations changed tradesman would be laughing and home owners would be broke and frustrated. You just need to see if the extension meets the criteria at the time it was built (I think).

Thank you both for your advice.

I don't think the building met the fire safety regulations when it was built (2000) and I think that is why it not does have the building control certificate. The survey has revealed the lack of fire boarding to the ceiling of the garage but it all seem to check out allright for the rest (structurally).

I think all I need to do is to insure as I would for any other thing (you are right they don't seem to ask for regulation certificate papers or 1/2 of the building in England would not be insured!) and I would get my garage ceiling fire safe boarded as soon as possible.

Any idea of how much this would cost roughly?

Thanks