House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Insulating A Loft, At What Depth Does It Not Save Any Money?

I know the recommended depth is 270mm, but at what point is there no saving to be made?

I thought I'd seen a table which showed that putting 60cm of insulation in your loft will save you money although not as great as the initial saving of putting 270mm in.

Currently I've got around 45-50cm of insulation in the loft and am considering adding another 20cm layer, to bring it over 60cm of insulation.

Anyone got that level of insulation in the loft?

I know the recommended depth is 270mm, but at what point is there no saving to be made?

I thought I'd seen a table which showed that putting 60cm of insulation in your loft will save you money although not as great as the initial saving of putting 270mm in.

Currently I've got around 45-50cm of insulation in the loft and am considering adding another 20cm layer, to bring it over 60cm of insulation.

No. Because it's silly.

It will be on a sliding scale.50cm will keep in more heat that 25cm but whether the extra costs more than it saves is debatable.There will be several variables involved.

Meh at that level why not just wear heated clothing, you only need to hear the air in direct contact with your skin. Wear a thick coat over that and voila massively reduced bills.

Then you can get two thin bits of thick carpet and put them in the bottom of your shoes to save even more moeny.

My understanding was 270mm was recommended because they'd tested it and over this level there was no benefit from additional insulation.

Dunno what your council is like, but a couple of years ago ours was handing out free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Check yours you might be able to get a deal. (Woo! At last ! Something back for all the council tax I pay!)

Also B & Q / Homebase every few weeks seem to be doing cheap offers on insulation, so there's no excuse to skimp.

Meh at that level why not just wear heated clothing, you only need to hear the air in direct contact with your skin. Wear a thick coat over that and voila massively reduced bills.

Then you can get two thin bits of thick carpet and put them in the bottom of your shoes to save even more moeny.

Tightwad :D

I have about 30cm, but see no point in getting any more. Make sure you don't block air vents down in the corners though.

However I really wanted to insulate my garage loft (which has no insulation in) but it only cost £28 to do extra in my house and my garage. But it was awful stuff...

Using it instead of curtains. Sounds a good idea.

I've thought about this before. When I rented a Victorian house and it was sub zero outside we had the heating on all the time and it was still cold. I did consider blocking up the windows, but did wonder why they aren't more elegant solutions than heavy curtains. In the end I just got an electric heater too.

I've thought about this before. When I rented a Victorian house and it was sub zero outside we had the heating on all the time and it was still cold. I did consider blocking up the windows, but did wonder why they aren't more elegant solutions than heavy curtains. In the end I just got an electric heater too.

Wooden shutters work quite well and solve the elegance problem.

Has anyone used sheep's wool for insulation? I've seen it advertised - it's more expensive than the usual, but supposed to be v. good and certainly nicer to handle than the synthetic stuff.

We're going to re-do our loft soon - we've got insulation but it's not enough.

Has anyone used sheep's wool for insulation? I've seen it advertised - it's more expensive than the usual, but supposed to be v. good and certainly nicer to handle than the synthetic stuff.

Haven't used it personally but have heard bad things about it from conservation architects with regards to infestation. I'd use it over synthetic stuff still but could be a good idea to look into cellulose insulation (recycled paper) or recycled clothing fabrics.

I've recently been developing an insulative building material that is made from recycled toilet paper. Fantastic stuff, not sure how well it'll catch on though!

As far as working out cost-savings through applying insulation, 270mm is overkill - you'll be losing/gaining heat through other parts of your house. If you go on the celotex website, there's good info with regards to calculating u-values and you should be able to compare the efficiency of upping the thickness of existing insulation.

Do you mean mm, or do you really have half a meter thick insulation in your roof? :blink:

Has the OP considered wrapping himself in insulation to a depth of 60cm? This would be much more efficient.

We're going to re-do our loft soon - we've got insulation but it's not enough.

I looked at it, saw the price, and ran a mile. I got some stuff made of out recycled plastic bottles (well, 85% recycled anyway) and that seems to be ok. It doesn't irritate like rock wool or fibreglass either.

Depends on how cheaply you can get the insulation, but above 40 cm the payoff time becomes quite long. I put 40 cm in back when B&Q was doing 4 rolls for the price of one. Don't see any point in increasing it until I've dealt with all the other places cold gets in.

I believe that above about a metre it basically makes no real difference adding more.

Do you mean mm, or do you really have half a meter thick insulation in your roof? :blink:

Yep I mean 45cm to 50cm.

When I moved into the house there was the old insulation in the rafters. B&Q at the time had got the Space blanket on BOGOF so I just doubled up in the loft, from memory I think it only cost be about £100 to do the whole loft in this way. Bought mostly 20cm insulation which I put in the loft on the rafters and up the side of the attic (again there are 2x20cm up the sides), so most of the loft has got 2x20cm plus whatever was installed, although some bits in the loft wasn't insulated.

I've got 15cm insulation under the front floor room, which I've stapled gunned there.

Has the OP considered wrapping himself in insulation to a depth of 60cm? This would be much more efficient.

No I'd get too warm. Once bought some pink insulation for the previous house and walked home with my arms through the middle as not took the car. Christ I knew about it when I got home and it was only 5 minutes away.

Depends on how cheaply you can get the insulation, but above 40 cm the payoff time becomes quite long. I put 40 cm in back when B&Q was doing 4 rolls for the price of one. Don't see any point in increasing it until I've dealt with all the other places cold gets in.

I believe that above about a metre it basically makes no real difference adding more.

I thought I'd seen something which said that once up to 1m there wasn't any point putting in anymore insulation.

Dunno what your council is like, but a couple of years ago ours was handing out free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Check yours you might be able to get a deal. (Woo! At last ! Something back for all the council tax I pay!)

Yes, our local council was doing this too. But when I checked non pensioners had to be on benefits to qualify.

Because the scheme is meant for 'vulnerable' people.:rolleyes:

So non council tax payers are warm as toast in our street thank you very much.

I just have to work a bit harder I suppose !

Yes, our local council was doing this too. But when I checked non pensioners had to be on benefits to qualify.

Because the scheme is meant for 'vulnerable' people.:rolleyes:

So non council tax payers are warm as toast in our street thank you very much.

I just have to work a bit harder I suppose !

Our council is currently doing this for free, the priority is the vulnerable but anyone can have it done. I'm hoping that they will come and do the cavity wall for us. I might as well have a rebate.

Our council is currently doing this for free, the priority is the vulnerable but anyone can have it done. I'm hoping that they will come and do the cavity wall for us. I might as well have a rebate.

I had our done on the taxpayer earlier this year (although I had to chip in £125 myself). For the same amount of heating as before the house is a couple of degrees warmer.