House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athom

Rowan Williams Condemns Cuts And Blaming Labour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8564540/Rowan-Williams-condemns-frightening-Coalition.html

Rowan Williams condemns 'frightening' Coalition

Dr Rowan Williams will launch a sustained attack on the Coalition in the most outspoken political intervention by an Archbishop of Canterbury for a generation.

He warns that the public is gripped by “fear” over the Government’s reforms to education, the NHS and the benefits system and accuses David Cameron and Nick Clegg of forcing through “radical policies for which no one voted”.

Openly questioning the democratic legitimacy of the Coalition, the Archbishop dismisses the Prime Minister’s “Big Society” as a “painfully stale” slogan, and claims that it is “not enough” for ministers to blame Britain’s economic and social problems on the last Labour government.

The comments come in an article he has written as guest editor of this week’s New Statesman magazine.

His two-page critique, titled “The government needs to know how afraid people are”, is the most forthright political criticism by such a senior cleric since Robert Runcie enraged Margaret Thatcher with a series of attacks in the 1980s.

Lambeth Palace is braced for an angry response but Dr Williams, who became Archbishop of Canterbury nine years ago, is understood to believe that the moment is right for him to enter the political debate.

In the article, seen by The Daily Telegraph, he says the Coalition must “clarify what it is aiming for” in key areas of policy.

The Archbishop warns that Westminster politics “feels pretty stuck”, adding that his aim is to stimulate “a livelier debate” and to challenge the Left to develop its own “big idea” as an alternative to the Tory-Lib Dem alliance.

It is his attacks on the Coalition’s flagship policies, especially those of Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, and Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, which will attract the most attention.

The Coalition is facing “bafflement and indignation” over its plans to reform the health service and education, he writes.

“With remarkable speed, we are being committed to radical, long-term policies for which no one voted,” the Archbishop says.

“At the very least, there is an understandable anxiety about what democracy means in such a context.” Mr Gove’s free school reforms passed through Parliament last summer with little debate, using a timetable previously reserved for emergency anti-terrorism laws.

Separate reforms to universities will see tuition fees treble and funding for humanities courses cut.

Dr Williams says education “might well be regarded as a proper matter for open probing”.

But “the feeling that not enough has been exposed to proper public argument” has created “anxiety and anger” in the country.

Britain needs a long-term education policy “that will deliver the critical tools for democratic involvement, not simply skills that serve the economy”, he says.

More broadly, the Prime Minister’s “Big Society” is viewed with “widespread suspicion” as an “opportunistic” cover for spending cuts.

The Archbishop warns that Mr Cameron’s plan to give local and voluntary groups a greater role running services has created concern that the Government will abandon its responsibility for tackling child poverty, illiteracy, and increasing access to the best schools.

“Government badly needs to hear just how much plain fear there is around questions such as these at present,” he says.

“It isn’t enough to respond with what sounds like a mixture of 'This has been exposed to proper public argument” has created “anxiety and anger”.

Britain needs a long-term education policy “that will deliver the critical tools for democratic involvement, not simply skills that serve the economy”, he says.

More broadly, the Prime Minister’s “Big Society” is viewed as an “opportunistic” cover for spending cuts.

The Archbishop warns that Mr Cameron’s plan to give local and voluntary groups a greater role running services has created concern that the Government will abandon its responsibility for tackling child poverty, illiteracy, and increasing access to the best schools. “Government badly needs to hear just how much plain fear there is around questions such as these at present,” he says.

The Archbishop reserves some of his harshest words for the programme of benefit reforms drawn up by Mr Duncan Smith, who also contributes to this week’s magazine, lamenting the “quiet resurgence of the seductive language of the 'deserving’ and 'undeserving’ poor”.

wish he'd just shut up really. Not sure anyone even asked for his opinion. The man doesn't even understand how our democracy works. I didn't vote for labour to borrow me and my children into debt slavery but there you go.

His views might have a bit more credibility if he wasn't chief voodoo meister for an invisible sky fairy.

He also appears to be completely out of touch. Rather than being "gripped by fear" there appears to be a lot of support for public spending cuts.

And more on the topic of economics, here -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1097133/Archbishops-sermon-Brown-spending-way-crisis.html

From the article - "It is virtually unheard of for a senior cleric to attack the Government so directly, or for a Prime Minister to challenge an Archbishop of Canterbury on how the Bible should be interpreted. "

So really the Telegraph's line -

"Dr Rowan Williams will launch a sustained attack on the Coalition in the most outspoken political intervention by an Archbishop of Canterbury for a generation."

is a bit of b*llocks.

He also appears to be completely out of touch.

I can't accept that. He wears a purple dress and lives in a big free house (or 2). The guy's got his finger on the pulse of modern Britain for sure.

Well done, you found the perfect counter argument. By the same man.

If he's against spending money we don't have and against cutting spending of money we don't have what's left?

I wonder how he feels about printing fake money?

Well done, you found the perfect counter argument. By the same man.

If he's against spending money we don't have and against cutting spending of money we don't have what's left?

I wonder how he feels about printing fake money?

He's a god botherer. Most likely he thinks divine intervention will save us.

Why cant he, the paedos catholics and women beaters muslims just find a cliff to jump off?

He's a god botherer. Most likely he thinks divine intervention will save us.

Why cant he, the paedos catholics and women beaters muslims just find a cliff to jump off?

yeah, as a muslim myself, who doesn't beat women, and isn't an idiot, i'd disagree. But carry on.

Attacking religion in this thread is a dumb and irrelevant as him attacking politicians on their economic policies or the press reporting his ignorant gibbering.

He seems to have been extremely selective about the list of things that the public are being subject to being "gripped by fear".

It would have been interesting to hear his opinions about massive house prices, rapidly increasing food and energy prices (some would even say at extortionate levels) and inordinate levels of private and public debt (lending) etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8564540/Rowan-Williams-condemns-frightening-Coalition.html

wish he'd just shut up really. Not sure anyone even asked for his opinion. The man doesn't even understand how our democracy works. I didn't vote for labour to borrow me and my children into debt slavery but there you go.

...well what do you expect from this hippie leftie....?.... :rolleyes:

British far left Anglican leader Dr. Rowan Williams criticized the assassination of Osama Bin Laden on Thursday.

“The different versions of events that have emerged in recent days have not done a great deal to help.”

Dr. Rowan Williams said the many versions of the killing don’t seem to help.

The Telegraph reported:

Dr Rowan Williams, spiritual head of the 80-million strong worldwide Anglican Communion, criticised the White House for repeatedly changing its account of the raid on the al-Qaeda leader’s compound in Pakistan.

Killing bin Laden when he was not carrying a weapon meant that justice could not be “seen to be done”, the Archbishop suggested.

But lawyers and senior figures from politics and the military said Dr Williams was not living in “the real world” while relatives of 9/11 victims expressed outrage at his remarks.

A senior Government source described the Archbishop’s comments as “very unwise”, adding: “One has to give some thought for all the unarmed people that bin Laden killed. This was a very silly thing to say.”

Dr Williams’s intervention represents the most outspoken statement so far by a mainstream religious leader since the US Navy Seals team stormed bin Laden’s hideout and killed the world’s most wanted man on Monday.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/05/british-religious-leader-rowan-williams-criticizes-obl-killing-the-different-versions-of-his-killing-dont-seem-to-help-video/

yeah, as a muslim myself, who doesn't beat women, and isn't an idiot, i'd disagree. But carry on.

Attacking religion in this thread is a dumb and irrelevant as him attacking politicians on their economic policies or the press reporting his ignorant gibbering.

Its all dogmatic BS to me...

He also appears to be completely out of touch. Rather than being "gripped by fear" there appears to be a lot of support for public spending cuts.

Of course he is out of touch. He wears a frock and goes to church more than just for weddings and christenings :lol:

I think he was funnier as Mr Bean and should have stuck with acting :)

[its one of his standard routine.

Wailing + nashing about about a heartless state state without mentioning that its currently taking 51% GDP AND still got a 10% deficit.

One is reminded about the parable in the bible - Beware the boss-eyed closet-case Scots *****.

Should go back to tea with old ladies and buggering choirboys.

No. He is being hypocritical, and yet gets massive amounts of front page coverage for being some kind of respected & sage elder.

The church (all Abrahamic ones) promote fear. You must simultaneously fear and love the heavenly father.

Yet he is blathering on about ordinary people being being 'afraid' of the evil tories because of the cuts.

If he believed in any other pre-science bronze age mythology (human sacrifice, Moon worship) we would commit him to an institution, not give him an Op-Ed in the Telegraph.

Is that Yusuf Islam in your avatar?

well cat stevens at that point, he's probably quit smoking by now so i think i'll change it when i remember. Still, he is the scary side of muslim converts lest we forget the terror he caused, i can't imagine what the state of the world must have been when his music was popular.

Guest eight

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1307607308' post='3015202]

I don't remember voting for the Archbishop. When was the election?

To be fair to him, can you imagine the strain of only being able to travel diagonally?

eight

Labour were still blaming Thatcher for all bad things right up to the moment they left the building - surely the current government can have a few years of blaming Gordon?

It doesn't seem fair somehow.....

Buckers

Any government can blame a previous one for as long as is needed to fix the problems they cause. So it was fine for Labour to blame Thatcher (less Major simply because he never seemed to do anything) for a while. They carried it one to extremes though, still whinging about her when they had had plenty of time to deal with what they were complaining about. There's still plenty of mileage left for the current government to blame Labour though.

Labour inflated the Housing Bubble, The coalition want to keep it inflated.

F@@ em both.

Meanwhile the Church has fought against democracy for 1900 of its 2000 year history.

If there is a 'supreme being' I bet he cannot stand any organised religion. [Or career politicians]