House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

exiges

What Recession?

Just listening to the BBC news now and they were stopping people at a train station asking what Olympic tickets they'd applied for, and what they ended up with..

One guy was complaining at not getting any tickets after applying for £30,000 worth for his family, yes thirty grand.. Another woman said each of her family members had applied for £1700 each

Clearly there's still money to burn out there

I would have thought of going to the Olympics maybe.

I live in Aberdeen and it's a real pain going to London.

Anyway, these tickets are now all sold out - so I can't buy any even if I wanted to go.

That's put me right off the games.

I thought it would be like Wimbeldon - where people camp out overnight to get tickets.

From what I've heard - you don't want to be outside after dark around the Olympic Park. :ph34r:

Where were they? This regional things needs to be constantly hammered into those on this board who proclaim across the board skintness. I'm in the SE of England near Reading and there's more money than sense out there. Massive cars, overpriced yet selling houses and conspicuous consumption still very evident.

I retain some hope that HPC will ripple in from the regions but a 3 bed semi will still set you back the sharp end of 290k here and the BTL morons are still pillaging their way through what should be ftb stock.

On the ticket front, I know of what I'd consider "normal" families who have applied for 5 grands worth of tickets. Some of them enjoying no doubt the benefits of paying ****** all on their trackers.

Bigger fool theory? I.e. they want to be ticket touts?

I know a guy who did this in Mongolia during Nadeem festival. Effectively before it started he bought up a ton of local tickets. Which go for $3 each. Tourist tickets for white people were $35. So he rocked over to the trainstation and sold them for $22 each making a monster profit.

Just listening to the BBC news now and they were stopping people at a train station asking what Olympic tickets they'd applied for, and what they ended up with..

One guy was complaining at not getting any tickets after applying for £30,000 worth for his family, yes thirty grand.. Another woman said each of her family members had applied for £1700 each

But the reason for the news item was that there's going to be another allocation of tickets this week because 10,000 (they said) people who won had their Visa cards declined.

Were they short of cash or reached their credit limit? Sounds like a recession to me.

The thing is that people are caught up in the hype of the Olympics, if you really want to see Usain Bolt then why not get tickets for a Golden League meeting or even the World Championships? There is just as much chance of a world record there.

Personally after seeing the cost of the athletics events in London I am going to make an effort and go to one of the next European Championships . Tickets for the whole week at Barcelona last year were cheaper than one night of the Olympics athletics and you get to see more. How many of these people desperate to see anything ot the Olympics will got to any of the European/World/British championships of swimming cycling etc? They would see the same people and many fantastic performances....

The thing is that people are caught up in the hype of the Olympics, if you really want to see Usain Bolt then why not get tickets for a Golden League meeting or even the World Championships? There is just as much chance of a world record there.

Personally after seeing the cost of the athletics events in London I am going to make an effort and go to one of the next European Championships . Tickets for the whole week at Barcelona last year were cheaper than one night of the Olympics athletics and you get to see more. How many of these people desperate to see anything ot the Olympics will got to any of the European/World/British championships of swimming cycling etc? They would see the same people and many fantastic performances....

Because its in Britain it is so expensive. They don't call Britain treasure island for nothing! And London being the capital is gouge town!

Where were they? This regional things needs to be constantly hammered into those on this board who proclaim across the board skintness. I'm in the SE of England near Reading and there's more money than sense out there. Massive cars, overpriced yet selling houses and conspicuous consumption still very evident.

I retain some hope that HPC will ripple in from the regions but a 3 bed semi will still set you back the sharp end of 290k here and the BTL morons are still pillaging their way through what should be ftb stock.

On the ticket front, I know of what I'd consider "normal" families who have applied for 5 grands worth of tickets. Some of them enjoying no doubt the benefits of paying ****** all on their trackers.

It's great, you are paying for their tickets and the £30k-in-tickets man has to be a banker or someone in finance in the City that you bailed out and you've paid for his too. They're laughing at you. All the way to the Olympics.

Exactly, friend of mine saw Usain Bolt at an event at Crystal Palace just recently. I heard a woman bleating away on the radio today that her precious ten year old would not be able to see her heroine Rebecca Adlington and was distraught. Ms Adlington will appears at various swim meetings throughout the UK regularly.

Guest eight

Exactly, friend of mine saw Usain Bolt at an event at Crystal Palace just recently. I heard a woman bleating away on the radio today that her precious ten year old would not be able to see her heroine Rebecca Adlington and was distraught. Ms Adlington will appears at various swim meetings throughout the UK regularly.

This is the Masterchef phenomenon. "I've always dreamed of being a chef!" Get a job as a fvcking chef then!!!!

Same goes for all those X-factor types who've always wanted to be a singer. I wonder how many have done the rounds of their local clubs?

eight

Because its in Britain it is so expensive. They don't call Britain treasure island for nothing! And London being the capital is gouge town!

+1 (each..)

My badminton club is stuck with two tickets they can't get rid of due to them being £100 each (for a 3 1/2 hour session). That ticket price would get the full six days entry to the All-England tournament in Birmingham in March(Badminton equivalent of 'Wimbledon', sort of), with some change. No contest.

This is the Masterchef phenomenon. "I've always dreamed of being a chef!" Get a job as a fvcking chef then!!!!

Same goes for all those X-factor types who've always wanted to be a singer. I wonder how many have done the rounds of their local clubs?

eight

Yeah I don't quite understand why people go on the apprentice if it's not just to get their face shown on telly.

Mark my words, there will be a short sharp retail burst for all those people who put money aside for tickets but didn't get them. :)

Mark my words, there will be a short sharp retail burst for all those people who put money aside for tickets but didn't get them. :)

HOUSE PRICES INCREASE IN OCTOBER AS SPARE OLYMPIC TICKET MONEY IS PLOUGHED INTO THE MARKET

1.8m people applied for over 6 million tickets and over half got none...

What sort of system did they use?

One that involves taxpayer subsidy resulting in tickets sold at way below their market price with the veneer of a lottery to avoid questions about who gets to profit from re-sale.

I thought it was obvious?

It seems pretty outrageous that the Olympics, which is obviously heavily state funded, cannot be attended by tax payers unless they empty their pockets of their already taxed income.

How about ticket allocation based on your household NI contribution?

It's always the way these large public sector projects work. The masses pay for them and the elite, who are the only ones that can afford the ticket price, reap the benefit. Concorde was another shining example of this.

HOUSE PRICES INCREASE IN OCTOBER AS SPARE OLYMPIC TICKET MONEY IS PLOUGHED INTO THE MARKET

And they said journalists from the Express never come to this site.

You would really have to pay me to attend any Olympic event, sorry. Can think of nothing more boring

+1

It really angers me that my tax's go to pay for this. I hope the tickets sell well to take away the sting.

Get a better view on TV anyway and you don't have to put up with the absurd transport to the stadiums or the chavtastic crowd.

Get a better view on TV anyway and you don't have to put up with the absurd transport to the stadiums or the chavtastic crowd.

TBH I would rather watch the test card.

One of the French sailing champs who'll be at the Olympics sails in our local club. I can watch him most weekends from the shore and a pair of binoculars for free. Put an olympic tracksuit on him, and it's £100 for the morning.

Same for Alain Bernard. Trains at our local pool. Won the men 100M crawl in Pekin. The blue ribbon event. See him whenever we want for zilch.

Was I glad when France/Paris was "pipped" by London in 2006 :D

Obscene subsidies to big business, disguised as a sporting event.............