House Price Crash Forum
Lambie

Nightmare Letting Agent

Greetings, fellow HPCers.

I have been negotiating a let in Manchester, and I am somewhat perturbed by the progress. I wonder if I may open the floor for your esteemed advice.

The flat is 1 bed and £675 per month, reduced from £725. Yes, massively overpaying, but it is right in the centre and 2 minutes away from my office, I'm prepared to suck it up for 9 months. After that work may move or be non existent., so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Viewing was all a bit strange as there were 2 of us with 1 guy making very obviously keen noises. I suspected him to be a plant. Later on I got the hard sell but decided to suck it up. It's just for a few months, how bad can it be?

Since then, it has been a catalogue of fail. Phonecalls never returned, emails never replied to, basic questions ignored. Issues included AST having wrong dates on, and wrong deposit amount, no inventory was forthcoming and no response to asking for the phone number to transfer my broadband, beyond "not our problem guv". Internet research on the LA (ok naming names, it is Belvoir) on allagents.com is to put it mildly appalling. To top it all off, the Landlord is one Toby Whittaker, of Dylan Thomas Pwopertee Development infamy, last seen going bust for £100m but somehow keeping all his flats.

Yesterday I pressed the issue by saying I would not sign the AST until my questions had been answered, and received the email below :

"The previous tenant is not responding to us and as he left with rental arrears I doubt he ever will, therefore I am unsure on how I can obtain the telephone number for the property. There is no bedding or cutlery/crockery being provided with the property."

By now my spidey senses are going into overdrive and screaming "for the love of god run, run away". I suspect bailiff issues will arise further down the line as well.

So question is, am I justified in pulling the plug on the whole deal (due to sign and post bonds on Friday), and do I stand any chance of getting any of my £120 "holding and reference fee" back?

I'd bail on it, sound potentially more hassle than its worth and you've no chance of getting the fee back I'd guess.

Thanks, that's the conclusion I'd more or less reached already.

If I'm not going to get £120 back then I'm damn well going to have £120 worth of entertainment out of them.

any suggestions to add to the below?

Demand details of all credit checks made under Data Protection Act

Demand 75% of the fee returned on the basis of misrepresentation of furnishings by the agent on viewing

Threaten to take them to small claims court for above

Belvoir are total ******ing sharks.

Yep, so it appears.

Pain in the ****, they have totally cornered the market bang in the centre of Manchester.

Yep, so it appears.

Pain in the ****, they have totally cornered the market bang in the centre of Manchester.

If that is true then do you really want to make enemies of them for the sake of £120 when you will likely be looking for an alternative rent?

Stay friendly about it and maybe they can transfer that £120 to the process of a different flat.

As much as they may deserve it you have to look out for you first ;)

If that is true then do you really want to make enemies of them for the sake of £120 when you will likely be looking for an alternative rent?

Stay friendly about it and maybe they can transfer that £120 to the process of a different flat.

As much as they may deserve it you have to look out for you first ;)

Thanks, yes you may well be right, I will have a think.

After reading through the reviews on allagents though, I think I am going to give them a very wide berth from now on. I should have trusted my gut instincts on the viewing with the not very subtle plant.

Thanks, yes you may well be right, I will have a think.

After reading through the reviews on allagents though, I think I am going to give them a very wide berth from now on. I should have trusted my gut instincts on the viewing with the not very subtle plant.

It probably is best to give them a wide berth but there is no point burning bridges just in case.

You have years worth of booking viewings with them to even out that £120 :lol:

Greetings, fellow HPCers.

I have been negotiating a let in Manchester, and I am somewhat perturbed by the progress. I wonder if I may open the floor for your esteemed advice.

The flat is 1 bed and £675 per month, reduced from £725. Yes, massively overpaying, but it is right in the centre and 2 minutes away from my office, I'm prepared to suck it up for 9 months. After that work may move or be non existent., so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Viewing was all a bit strange as there were 2 of us with 1 guy making very obviously keen noises. I suspected him to be a plant. Later on I got the hard sell but decided to suck it up. It's just for a few months, how bad can it be?

Since then, it has been a catalogue of fail. Phonecalls never returned, emails never replied to, basic questions ignored. Issues included AST having wrong dates on, and wrong deposit amount, no inventory was forthcoming and no response to asking for the phone number to transfer my broadband,

Why do you need the number to transfer the BB.

The only reason IME that you need the outgoing number is to enable you to take advantage of a "free" transfer, but you can't have a free transfer for BB, you always have to pay an installation fee.

On a BT line, dial 17070 to find out its number. However, the previous tenant would have closed or transferred the account when he moved out, so there almost certainly won't be a phone number on the line.

On a BT line, dial 17070 to find out its number. However, the previous tenant would have closed or transferred the account when he moved out, so there almost certainly won't be a phone number on the line.

Cheers, will try and remember that.

I have a friend in telecomms who provides me with a phone line and broadband, and he couldn't install a phone line because it was in use, and couldnt see the existing number because of DPA.