House Price Crash Forum

Letting Agents And Inconsiderate Neighbours

buyer2012

HOLA441

I am living in a terraced house with neighbours who blast me with rock music or music of some kind - I don't believe the house is licenced for live music - it sounds like there is an actual disco going on in the house right now. The landlady is not interested - she advised me to contact the police, probably knowing in advance that responsibility for the matter is not in the hands of the police any more,as it has been passed councils. The councils won't send anyone round to hear the music - it is a case of keeping notes over months of the times and impact of the noise to see if the council feel like doing anything. I feel like the authorities have, for a reason I can't determine, decided to create a chav society in England that is increasingly unpleasant. The council are not very interested in nuisance neighbours. The letting agents have sent a couple of letters, but have said the tenant won't listen to them and I should call the police (probably knowing the police are not responsible any more). How can people make money in this way? Their business requires the infliction of misery on me. Is there any way I can sue the letting agents to make them enforce the tenants' contract? The landlord previous told me that considerate behaviour to neighbours is in the contract - but that was back when he wanted the tenants out for an unrelated reason and was hoping I would furnish him with a reason for evicting them, but he is no longer interested. What can I do? Why do the authorities including all the political parties insist so firmly on policies leading to a chav Britain? Possibly because the powers that be don't live in roads such as mine? I am at my wit's end.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'd like to sympathise. Lived in rented flats in exactly the same circumstances.

My local council has a good noise patrol now. Years ago when I first used to call them they wouldn't come around. They would log a call and do nothing. I made complaints, spoke to my councillor and eventually moved away. Moved back into the same area years later and they had improved a great deal.

They now send someone from the noise patrol, issue warnings and write letters to the offending antisocial yobs. I've had the noise patrol around and actually shut down a party here.

In my block of rented flats people can rent flats for short lets so rent them to have party weekends or weeks. We have people taking drugs in full view of other residents and then howling on the balconies (not joking), which once again gives me some leverage (i.e. when a group of merchant bankers rented a flat and I found out where they worked and took action there). I've also complained to managing agents about people breaking the lease conditions (for the block) with some mixed but largely negative results.

Know what it is like to live in a rented flat with neighbours who don't work in the conventional sense and have parties each night. One group ended up setting fire to the block which did get rid of them.

Do you know the name of your local councillor? It did help in my case to ring and talk to them. I'm not sure what you can do and I hope others some advice. Remember once someone posted here who took legal action and they may see this thread and advise.

Edited by Flopsy

HOLA444

I am living in a terraced house with neighbours who blast me with rock music or music of some kind - I don't believe the house is licenced for live music - it sounds like there is an actual disco going on in the house right now. The landlady is not interested - she advised me to contact the police, probably knowing in advance that responsibility for the matter is not in the hands of the police any more,as it has been passed councils. The councils won't send anyone round to hear the music - it is a case of keeping notes over months of the times and impact of the noise to see if the council feel like doing anything. I feel like the authorities have, for a reason I can't determine, decided to create a chav society in England that is increasingly unpleasant. The council are not very interested in nuisance neighbours. The letting agents have sent a couple of letters, but have said the tenant won't listen to them and I should call the police (probably knowing the police are not responsible any more). How can people make money in this way? Their business requires the infliction of misery on me. Is there any way I can sue the letting agents to make them enforce the tenants' contract? The landlord previous told me that considerate behaviour to neighbours is in the contract - but that was back when he wanted the tenants out for an unrelated reason and was hoping I would furnish him with a reason for evicting them, but he is no longer interested. What can I do? Why do the authorities including all the political parties insist so firmly on policies leading to a chav Britain? Possibly because the powers that be don't live in roads such as mine? I am at my wit's end.

I have sympathy for you and completely understand how you feel. I/we live in a terrace house and had a similar problem with a neighbour (a tenant). He was a troublesome young man and played very loud music early morning and late at night. Unfortunately, my experience is that no one can help much to sort out this kind of behaviour if the individual involved does not want to cooperate.

The best way in my opinion is to somehow talk to the person - which I know that it is not always work easy. What I did with my neighbour was to very calmly explain that his loud music was very disturbing. Despite my initial warning/talk he continued his behaviour and whenever I saw him I again very calmy reminded him of our previous conversation/discussion about him playing loud music and reminded him again that it was still disturbing. I continued doing this for some time (a few weeks) and gradually realised that it was sinking in and getting into his thick head that his music was too loud. His music was still loud after all this talk, but it was not as disturbing as before.

You can follow the legal route with council and police - some of my friends who had similar problems with their neighbours have done that - but they were all counterproductive. In one case council removed all the equipment and issues the warning to the noisy neighbour, but the individual still continued with his disturbing and bad behaviour.

HOLA445

Probably the best solution is simply to move and go somewhere else. I know its a hassle but if every waking hour is ruined by noisy neighbours then cost and inconvenience pale into insignificance.

Good luck :D

This can be one of the solutions if you are a single, but if you have a family with young kids moving is a nightmare. And, it is even impractical in the current circumstances if you own the property.

HOLA446

A friend of mine had that problem in Uni halls. Luckily he was a music student so he created the DIRTIEST grinding song you could ever imagine, Put his speakers against the wall really loud and had a weekend away leaving it on repeat. he never herd a peap again :D i can send it to you if u want

HOLA447

I had that in a flat I lived in, 2 in the morning every night, after a week I went up and banged on the door for 5 mins until they answered and told him in no uncertain terms if the music (David Grey on repeat) didn't go down I'd break his legs. He moaned a bit and went in and turned it down. 5 mins later back up, so went back and started kicking his door, down it went never to bother me again. I was a bit of a nutter in my yoof.

HOLA448

The trouble is my house is on the market - I want to move away a.s.a.p., but it has been on the market for nearly 2 years.... I think unless you live in a detached, renting eg in a flat or in terraces does have the advantage that you can up sticks when you need to...

HOLA449

My local council has a good noise patrol now. Years ago when I first used to call them they wouldn't come around. They would log a call and do nothing. I made complaints, spoke to my councillor and eventually moved away. Moved back into the same area years later and they had improved a great deal.

Be careful mentioning it round here. Most would appear to want local councils abolished altogether on grounds of non-jobbery.

HOLA4410

The trouble is my house is on the market - I want to move away a.s.a.p., but it has been on the market for nearly 2 years.... I think unless you live in a detached, renting eg in a flat or in terraces does have the advantage that you can up sticks when you need to...

Be careful about making any kind of formal complaint (eg to council) - you'll have to mention that in the seller's report.

HOLA4411

2 years? do you not think that maybe it is a tad overpriced?

HOLA4412

Be careful mentioning it round here. Most would appear to want local councils abolished altogether on grounds of non-jobbery.

The Noise Patrol are parasites doing non-jobs. Inconsiderate neighbours used to be and should be now a police responsibility. It has been transferred to councils to enable them to create highpaying jobs often doing nothing about it. In the 1950s, the police would give the bad neighbours a clip round the ear. I want a return to that.

HOLA4413

2 years? do you not think that maybe it is a tad overpriced?

Yes, but I didn't realise that two years ago and I was at the mercy of estate agents who wanted me on their books - they got the HIP pack money out of me, whereas had I known that it wouldn't sell quickly, I would have waited until the HIP packs were phased out - so I feel I was conned by the EA. I have asked them, "why did you value my house at a level you knew wouldn't sell? Why don't you tell all homeowners on your books to reduce their prices or they'll be ejected from your books?" They told me they think people will gradually move the prices down themselves and they would prefer not to make them do so. I am in the process of moving to a different EA, but that takes time - due to the stupid 30-day notice period mentioned in a contract I signed two years ago (is that fair? can such contracts be challenged in court?) The next estate agent knows I don't expect to get the amount the house was valued at by the other lot, but would prefer me to market it with a "vendor gifted deposit", which he feels might make a difference. That amounts to a reduction. And he feels that a large markdown would still lead to viewings by people who would still expect 20% off the new asking price in today's market. Anyhow, whatever price my house is worth and marketed at, I don't want to be forced into a quick auction by the neighbours. I don't have to move right yet, as I work from home, and could effectively live anywhere. And if, say, the HPC this site forecasts happened, and houses nationally were down by 20% or more, I would lose out, for sure, on my existing house, but gain much more in terms of the reduction on my next house, as I would like to trade up - so I am still hoping the HPC takes place.

HOLA4414

Be careful about making any kind of formal complaint (eg to council) - you'll have to mention that in the seller's report.

Well, I phoned the council, and received a noise nuisance information pack and forms to fill in, but I haven't filled them in, as the process seems longwinded and designed to go nowhere. Would my phonecall to the council need to be mentioned in a seller's report?

HOLA4415

Yes, but I didn't realise that two years ago and I was at the mercy of estate agents who wanted me on their books - they got the HIP pack money out of me, whereas had I known that it wouldn't sell quickly, I would have waited until the HIP packs were phased out - so I feel I was conned by the EA. I have asked them, "why did you value my house at a level you knew wouldn't sell? Why don't you tell all homeowners on your books to reduce their prices or they'll be ejected from your books?" They told me they think people will gradually move the prices down themselves and they would prefer not to make them do so. I am in the process of moving to a different EA, but that takes time - due to the stupid 30-day notice period mentioned in a contract I signed two years ago (is that fair? can such contracts be challenged in court?) The next estate agent knows I don't expect to get the amount the house was valued at by the other lot, but would prefer me to market it with a "vendor gifted deposit", which he feels might make a difference. That amounts to a reduction. And he feels that a large markdown would still lead to viewings by people who would still expect 20% off the new asking price in today's market. Anyhow, whatever price my house is worth and marketed at, I don't want to be forced into a quick auction by the neighbours. I don't have to move right yet, as I work from home, and could effectively live anywhere. And if, say, the HPC this site forecasts happened, and houses nationally were down by 20% or more, I would lose out, for sure, on my existing house, but gain much more in terms of the reduction on my next house, as I would like to trade up - so I am still hoping the HPC takes place.

vendor gifted deposit sounds gay and desperate. Tell the ea's to play games with other people you just want them to sell the house.

Just make them price it below anything similar and it will be the first to sell. Even hardcore hpcers know when a house is reasonably priced and wouldnt expect 20% off asking.

If you are hoping for a hpc then surely you want to be selling asap and going str?

HOLA4416

Think twice before taking the legal route as you plan to sell your house. Legally, you are obliged to provide true/correct information regarding your neighbours to any potential buyers if they ask for it. If you take the legal route, then you are unable to lie (that they are nice, quiet lovely people etc etc) since your compliant will be registered at your local council/police station.

• 2 years later...
HOLA4417

Think twice before taking the legal route as you plan to sell your house. Legally, you are obliged to provide true/correct information regarding your neighbours to any potential buyers if they ask for it. If you take the legal route, then you are unable to lie (that they are nice, quiet lovely people etc etc) since your compliant will be registered at your local council/police station.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, does this legal responsibility apply to renting accommodation? I.e. If there has been complaints made in the past about noise, is the landlord or EA legally bound to inform a potential new tenant about the noise complaints?

I know there was a case a while ago about a guy who purchased a house and then finding out he had a neighbour from hell so he sued the previous home owner for failure to disclose any info about his neighbour from hell

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111907/Homeowner-sues-couple-sold-house-lying-Asbo-neighbour-hell.html

HOLA4418