House Price Crash Forum

Lawyers and solicitors are ducking backyard furs shit face bitche$

It's been 10 weeks since I started proceedings to sell one of my businesses but the **** holes love.taking their time

What should be 2h work is.drawn out to more than 2 months

Anything that improves and adds competition to this sector will be greatly welcomed by me

Edited by cells

Serves them right. How anyone can try and pretend that charging £150-£250 an HOUR for a bog-standard high-street lawyer is justified is beyond me.

For years they have benefited from the hugely expanded legal aid system which has been widely abused.

They generally provide poor service.

Beat them at their own game - don't use a solicitor, do it yourself, self-represent as a Litigant In Person (LIP), I did for Children Act proceedings when my ex wife tried to f*ck around, cost her approx. £8k-10k last time around, cost me a few hundred.

Hit them where it hurts - in the pocket. Most of them are useless parasites anyway.

I believe the correct line to take at this point is to talk about the inevitability of market forces and the how you can't turn back the onward march of progress- something like that.

At least that what was said to the people in industry as their jobs were shipped to china- where the onward march of progress leads us is another matter.

Wobberly Handshaking robbing barstewards :D

A horribly ironic thought just occured to me- many people will have far more trust in Tecso- a supermarket- as a source of legal advice than they will in legal firms with centuries of provenance- so discredited have the once respected moral leaders in our society become.

:lol::lol::lol:

A horribly ironic thought just occured to me- many people will have far more trust in Tecso- a supermarket- as a source of legal advice than they will in legal firms with centuries of provenance- so discredited have the once respected moral leaders in our society become.

:D

So it'll be 'TesCourt' next

Lower cost legal services?

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/articles.aspx?page=articles&ID=218623

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/articles.aspx?page=articles&ID=209764

If I worked for a low end law firm I would be worried, maybe even if I worked for a large high end firm I would expect high margin bulk caseloads to start falling off.

Its about time the middle classes lost their right to a monopoly and suffered the same as the plumbers, waiters and everyone else who have had their wages eroded thanks to the enlargement of the lower base level employment pool, perhaps their perspective might change so that at dinner parties, rather than lauding the cheap polish builder they will be singing the praises of the cheap irish/french/whatever lawyer who did their conveyancing !

Edited by mrmagooisagovteconomist

Well, I got my eyes tested and new glasses from them.

Thinking about it, the main reason for going to them was because they have a car park.

Its about time the middle classes lost their right to a monopoly and suffered the same as the plumbers, waiters and everyone else who have had their wages eroded thanks to the enlargement of the lower base level employment pool, perhaps their perspective might change so that at dinner parties, rather than lauding the cheap polish builderwill be singing the praises of the cheap irish/french/whatever lawyer who did their conveyancing !

Yep- I have a feeling the shine is about to come off the idea that free markets are the greatest thing since sliced bread for a lot people who imagined that the invisible hand would never come knocking on their front door.

Why did the Tesco effect not work when they started the Tesco bank?

Surely Tesco bank could be giving the government all the advice they want at a fraction of the price. Lets be honest about this - the advice couldn't be any worse than what they have at the moment

What bonuses do Tesco pay their staff?

:lol:

95% of legal contracts should be standardised by law... for example house sales, employment, AST, credit... there is no legal reason the contracts should vary... it just allows people to sneak clauses in and rip others off.

Unfortunately these legal bulk centres are notoriously bad, my buyer used one when I sold my flat (5 years ago), by the end of it I was ready to go round with a can of petrol and laugh as they all burned. The guy next to me at work is being forced to use one as a condition of a mortgage, and they just as bad now, teams of people with no legal training with a single solicitor at the top, and none of them have a clue what to do when anything out if the ordinary happens (which happens in every house sale)

Lawyers and solicitors are ducking backyard furs shit face bitche$

It's been 10 weeks since I started proceedings to sell one of my businesses but the **** holes love.taking their time

What should be 2h work is.drawn out to more than 2 months

Anything that improves and adds competition to this sector will be greatly welcomed by me

+1. Just been dealing with one who told us at initial consultation (£250) that something would take 'no more than a couple of weeks.'

The useless bugger took 4 months to do it, and that was only after I started prodding him with a sharp stick. He never answered emails unless I rang the office to ask why not, and when I spoke to him more than once it was clear that he'd completely forgetten crucial facts.

Not for nothing did Anthony Trollope call his fictional firm of lawyers Messrs Slow and Bideawhile. Plus ca change....

There is a more fundamental problem with the law. The law should provide guidance on how to act to the everyday man, the "man on the Clapham omnibus". Yet the law has become so complex that few people are able to say with any certainty even what the law is. To do so requires reading endless case histories. This suits the lawyers just fine as every dispute now nets them a fee. The result of any case has become a function of the money one has available to throw at it. It should be a function of the justice of one's case.

The purpose of the law is to resolve disputes. Yet the poor have no access to it. If you get into a legal case you better sell the house to pay the lawyers. What is needed is quick and cheap dispute resolution. The lawyers will fight tooth and nail to preserve their fees.

There is a more fundamental problem with the law. The law should provide guidance on how to act to the everyday man, the "man on the Clapham omnibus". Yet the law has become so complex that few people are able to say with any certainty even what the law is. To do so requires reading endless case histories. This suits the lawyers just fine as every dispute now nets them a fee. The result of any case has become a function of the money one has available to throw at it. It should be a function of the justice of one's case.

The purpose of the law is to resolve disputes. Yet the poor have no access to it. If you get into a legal case you better sell the house to pay the lawyers. What is needed is quick and cheap dispute resolution. The lawyers will fight tooth and nail to preserve their fees.

Problem is, who decides what the law is? Who can argue on the behalf of the poor? I have no sympathy for lawyers in general, but if you defer to someone who is "wise" to be the judge in order to resolve things quickly, you end up with a system that is very similar to what is already widely practised across the world.

The purpose of the law is to take your money, time and energy off you and give it to lawyers, bailiffs and judges.

Any benefits you get out of it is entirely coincedental, as the saying goes.

Well, I got my eyes tested and new glasses from them.

Thinking about it, the main reason for going to them was because they have a car park.

.....one stop parking shop. :blink:

A friend of mine, a solicitor, said to be once that the practice of law was 95% bluff and 5% law.

<br />Lawyers and solicitors are ducking backyard furs shit face bitche$ <br /><br /><br />It's been 10 weeks since I started proceedings to sell one of my businesses but the **** holes love.taking their time<br /><br />What should be 2h work is.drawn out to more than 2 months<br /><br />Anything that improves and adds competition to this sector will be greatly welcomed by me<br />

Yep - your case folder will be on the floor surrounding their work desk, stacked up amongst 50-100 others to be pulled out and looked at in a few more weeks :)

A friend of mine, a solicitor, said to be once that the practice of law was 95% bluff and 5% law.

My dealings with lawyers (LLP partnership dispute and commercial property leases) has led me to believe that lawyers are simply conduits to send scary sounding letters with big words and faux deadlines in order to scare you into agreeing (a law firm that rhymes with Sishcon le Playa were particularly aggressive but when it came down to it their client had no leg to stand on). The commerical lease was a brilliant example of charging £1,000's to tell me something I already knew but in a more long winded way.

I for one am pro-competition on the whole and in particular in this area.

Yep - your case folder will be on the floor surrounding their work desk, stacked up amongst 50-100 others to be pulled out and looked at in a few more weeks :)

....just sitting on it, ignored until chased...but that will cost you. :P