House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinzano Bianco

Domestic Violence Coordinator

Grauniad

develop a robust performance management framework to support the domestic violence agenda in Barnet
you will have experience of developing domestic violence policies and projects

More LOLs at the link. No, this isn't thedailymash. :)

And you can bet this person will spot 'domestic violence' when there is none to justify their job, and will enact policies designed to fail to secure their job too.

Guest eight

And you can bet this person will spot 'domestic violence' when there is none to justify their job, and will enact policies designed to fail to secure their job too.

With my controversial head on, I might say that this is the reason the odd Baby Peter is allowed to slip through the net - to remind the public that we need a vast army of bureaucrats to protect us from ourselves.

eight

With my controversial head on, I might say that this is the reason the odd Baby Peter is allowed to slip through the net - to remind the public that we need a vast army of bureaucrats to protect us from ourselves.

eight

Yup, its why crime, terrorist attacks etc are all allowed to slip through the net on purpose. If the security forces and police got their act together such things could easily be eliminated. But they don't to justify their own existence.

If they were actually going to achieve anything I'd think £35k was well worth it. Deaths like that poor woman and child in Braintree show that the agencies that are supposed to be tackling DV are currently working about as well as a chocolate teapot. WTF is the point of having police and social services if they can't stop a man with a history of violence who has sent hundreds of threatening text messages to his ex-partner from going round and shooting her?

unfortunately I am as cynical as you are, I think jobs like this are more about being seen to be doing something. What is needed is a change of culture within the police, not a sticking plaster.

If they were actually going to achieve anything I'd think £35k was well worth it. Deaths like that poor woman and child in Braintree show that the agencies that are supposed to be tackling DV are currently working about as well as a chocolate teapot. WTF is the point of having police and social services if they can't stop a man with a history of violence who has sent hundreds of threatening text messages to his ex-partner from going round and shooting her?

what did you want them to do exactly?

They cant bang him up because he might do something and that is the only way that they can guarantee safety.

Dont bother saying court order or injuctions or any of that bolox because those pieces of paper would be ignored by someone with a mind to kill anyway.

Just because the outcome was obvious or even likely doesnt mean that the police or another nanny department can do anything about it.

They cant bang him up because he might do something and that is the only way that they can guarantee safety.

Dont bother saying court order or injuctions or any of that bolox because those pieces of paper would be ignored by someone with a mind to kill anyway.

Just because the outcome was obvious or even likely doesnt mean that the police or another nanny department can do anything about it.

A Domestic Violence Co-ordinator? I can just imagine it. "No,not like that,give her a right-hook,yeah that's better now use your head and give her a Kirkby KIss"

Making threats to kill is an arrestable offense, it is a crime under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 that attracts up to ten years in prison:

"Section 16

The making of a threat to kill is an offence where the defendant intends the victim to fear it will be carried out. It is immaterial whether it is premeditated or said in anger.

Although the normal maximum sentence is ten years, offenders deemed to present a "significant risk" of "serious harm" to the public can now receive a life sentence under the Criminal Justice Act 2003.

Other threats of violence may be prosecuted summarily under section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986."

so the laws are there, they're just not being used.

Making threats to kill is an arrestable offense, it is a crime under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 that attracts up to ten years in prison:

"Section 16

The making of a threat to kill is an offence where the defendant intends the victim to fear it will be carried out. It is immaterial whether it is premeditated or said in anger.

Although the normal maximum sentence is ten years, offenders deemed to present a "significant risk" of "serious harm" to the public can now receive a life sentence under the Criminal Justice Act 2003.

Other threats of violence may be prosecuted summarily under section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986."

so the laws are there, they're just not being used.

so what?

so they arrest him then what? You expect him to be thrown in a dungeon for the rest of his days? exported to easter island? have his limbs removed so he cant cause violence?

what is the point of using a crap law with no teeth to it?

so what?

so they arrest him then what? You expect him to be thrown in a dungeon for the rest of his days? exported to easter island? have his limbs removed so he cant cause violence?

what is the point of using a crap law with no teeth to it?

arrest him to protect the woman and child, try him, if found guilty bang him up until there is good reason to believe it is safe to release him. Even if they get it wrong and release him early this will at least have given the woman more chance to escape and rebuild her life, get her home properly fortified, etc.

What is the alternative? You can't seriously want someone who is constantly harassing and threatening to kill someone, having already put them in hospital a few times, to just be allowed to do it? Seriously, what is your solution?

the law itself has plenty of teeth, the ability to lock someone up for life for making threats sounds a pretty strong law to me, but it isn't being enforced.

arrest him to protect the woman and child, try him, if found guilty bang him up until there is good reason to believe it is safe to release him. Even if they get it wrong and release him early this will at least have given the woman more chance to escape and rebuild her life, get her home properly fortified, etc.

What is the alternative? You can't seriously want someone who is constantly harassing and threatening to kill someone, having already put them in hospital a few times, to just be allowed to do it? Seriously, what is your solution?

the law itself has plenty of teeth, the ability to lock someone up for life for making threats sounds a pretty strong law to me, but it isn't being enforced.

You cant put someone away for making a threat. Apart from the fact that I disagree with it the costs are ridiculous. People do not get custodial sentences for making threats.

In this case the law is pointless and the police powerless but someone should have done something for her.

They should have got her to a refuge or relocated her but then that only works if she agrees. I am guessing that having been put in hospital a few times she was offered help before but having kept returning to him was written off. Cant help people if they dont want to be helped.

For women to grow a pair and stand up for themselves?

The major problem is they hook up with somebody who then treats them like crap. And rather than thinking sod this and walking away they stick with them through all the abuse and crap that they are given.

I've bloody well seen it happen in a microcosm of a highstreet. Where a woman is being slapped about by her BF, a bigger guy says hey thats not right. He intervenes and floors the first bloke, at which the woman starts beating on the big bloke.

For women to grow a pair and stand up for themselves?

The major problem is they hook up with somebody who then treats them like crap. And rather than thinking sod this and walking away they stick with them through all the abuse and crap that they are given.

I've bloody well seen it happen in a microcosm of a highstreet. Where a woman is being slapped about by her BF, a bigger guy says hey thats not right. He intervenes and floors the first bloke, at which the woman starts beating on the big bloke.

grow a pair of what? Beretta 391 semi-automatic shotguns?

You can't, physically, stand up against a man who is much bigger and stronger than you, unless you are prepared to get armed yourself and then you are risking the weapons being used against you.

Time after time when the woman goes back to the man (or let's say the weaker person goes back to the strong, no need to be sexist here) it is because there have been threats made against them/their family/their kids. The time when a woman is most at risk of murder by a partner is after she's left him (as happened in this case). Sure, there are women who make terrible decisions, who have chaotic lives, I can well believe the story you describe. But when someone is seriously in danger and actually DOES leave the violent ex and goes to the police for help, bringing GOOD EVIDENCE of the danger they are in, that is when the law needs to step in.

The fact that she's previously made a bad decision to date him/move in with him/marry him doesn't give him the right to beat her up or kill her and her kids. Society needs to protect the weaker people from crimes committed by the violent element of the stronger, it's part of what being a society is all about, it's why we pay to have a police force.

I'm amazed that there are people on here who don't agree with this, I thought people were generally in favour of preventing violent crime.

I wouldn't lock anyone up when they HAVEN'T been violent and HAVEN'T made serious threats to kill someone, but in this case it was pretty clear that he had; and frankly if you don't want to go to jail, then, er, don't beat people up and threaten to kill them and their kids! No-one has a right to go around being violent. Protecting the innocent from that minority of people is precisely what prisons should be for.

This is clearly a racist advertisement, discriminating against anyone whose English isn't up to the appalling JARGON used in it.:D

FFS, doesn't anyone use plain English any more?:rolleyes:

grow a pair of what? Beretta 391 semi-automatic shotguns?

You can't, physically, stand up against a man who is much bigger and stronger than you, unless you are prepared to get armed yourself and then you are risking the weapons being used against you.

Says you? physical size matters little, it is psychology and technique. If you want to be even deadlier guile is even more effective. One or the other is enough. Thus your if you leave me I'll kill you.... is flipped if you touch me I'll cut your throat in your sleep.

Hmmm..I'm less cynical than a lot of you on here...I suspect that they work with women's shelters etc.. husbands and ex partners will often travel across the country to find their other halves...My dad even lives next to a such a shelter...Women often have to move away from their close family in order to get away from these tyrants..Perhaps the wage is a bit excessive but I think a lot of you on here do jump the gun too quickly...

You cant put someone away for making a threat. Apart from the fact that I disagree with it the costs are ridiculous. People do not get custodial sentences for making threats.

Didn't Flora refer you to s.16 OPA 1861, which demonstrates that you can put someone away for making threats.

The question then is why is the law not being enforced?

Didn't Flora refer you to s.16 OPA 1861, which demonstrates that you can put someone away for making threats.

On paper, yes.

The question then is why is the law not being enforced?

because it is bolox

Says who?

me and every copper and judge in the country given the fact that the guy wasnt arrested and our prisons are not full of people doing time for making threats.

It's down to the final two for the job. Gonna be a tough choice.

210px-Henry-VIII-kingofengland_1491-1547.jpg VS sonny-bono02.jpg

me and every copper and judge in the country given the fact that the guy wasnt arrested and our prisons are not full of people doing time for making threats.

Bit of a circular argument there.

The police aren't enforcing the law because it's bolox.

And the law is bolox because the police aren't enforcing it.

Bit of a circular argument there.

The police aren't enforcing the law because it's bolox.

And the law is bolox because the police aren't enforcing it.

No, the law is bolox because you can not convict someone and incarcerate them for threatening a crime rather than committing one.

If they were stopped on the way to kill then the fact that they were prevented from doing so does not have any bearin g on their guilt and intention to carry out a murder.

To make a threat doesnt even demonstrate intention and that is why the police wont use it, the cps wont push for prosecution and a judge wont convict. Bolox.