House Price Crash Forum
ExeC

Landlord Putting House For Sale

Hi Guys,

I moved into a property with my fiancee and daughter in November which we rent. Before we agreed to move in I spoke to the landlord who explained they were moving to canada and couldnt sell the house so decided to put it up for rent. He explained that after the 1 year he would probably put the house back up for sale again to see if it sells.

We decided to move in, its a lovely house and great location for the schools etc and we havent been happier anywhere. In April I got a mail from the landlord direct (as we do talk a fair bit) saying they want to sell the house. I replied back explaining I felt this was quite unfair as we have only been in the property 5 months and they were already trying to resell it again and if this was the case why rent it in the first place.

Since then it all went quiet until last week when the agency called to let me know that they had been instructed to put the house on the market and wanted to know how i felt. I explained that I wasnt happy with this. I also explained I was under the impression we'd get at least a year here and then maybe help them sell the house with some discounted rent after this period so they can still get an income and also sell the house.

Im just wondering what my options are ? Its just turning summer and now im worried my evenings are spent having to show people around the property.

We have a 7 year old daughter and a little dog whos alone during the day (not the daughter!) and wouldnt want people coming in and out the house while we are at work.

Can I flat point refuse viewings ? Am I wrong in thinking its unfair for them wanting to list this house for sale 5 months into letting it ?

Any ideas / opinions would be great, thanks.

How long do you have left on your tenancy agreement?

Can you flat out refuse viewings?

Absolutely you can

And if the EA lets themselves in to do a viewing while you are out they would be committing an offence, if you are worried about this occuring then personally i would change the locks, make sure you dont damage anything and keep the old locks so you can re-fit them when you vacate the property

Bastards did that to me once ... was a purely short-term measure and I only had six months in the place with all the costs of moving, though in this case it was to let to their daugther who was starting uni. Barefaced lies that I would have at least a year when they knew her start date.

You can tell them viewings once a week - say Saturday lunchtime. You don't have to tidy up and you don't need to leave the house either. Make sure you make curry or boiled cabbage, get your friends round to park in the street.

Unless it's very well-priced I wouldn't worry too much about having to move or even having many viewings after the first 2-3 weeks though, the market is dead as a dodo and typically gets worse through july and august as people go on hols, picking up a bit in sept-oct before dying again in run up to Xmas.

Thanks for the opinions. Our tennancy ends in November (so around 5 months remaining now).

In that case be prepared to move in november and write a snotty letter to the agent explaining you are p'd off at having been lied to and will not be allowing any viewings until you have moved

They will strop (they like to do that) but legally there is not a lot they can do about it

For future reference, I thought it was possible to have a 12 month tenancy agreement or indeed any length above 6 months? Best getting things legal rather than trusting people's word - especially landlords.

For future reference, I thought it was possible to have a 12 month tenancy agreement or indeed any length above 6 months? Best getting things legal rather than trusting people's word - especially landlords. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

Edited by mikthe20

Thanks for the opinions. Our tennancy ends in November (so around 5 months remaining now).

Why does it matter if they sell the house? You have an AST until November - i.e. you will have had a year in the house. The new buyers would have to wait until then to move in.

Hi Guys,

I moved into a property with my fiancee and daughter in November which we rent. Before we agreed to move in I spoke to the landlord who explained they were moving to canada and couldnt sell the house so decided to put it up for rent. He explained that after the 1 year he would probably put the house back up for sale again to see if it sells.

We decided to move in, its a lovely house and great location for the schools etc and we havent been happier anywhere. In April I got a mail from the landlord direct (as we do talk a fair bit) saying they want to sell the house. I replied back explaining I felt this was quite unfair as we have only been in the property 5 months and they were already trying to resell it again and if this was the case why rent it in the first place.

Since then it all went quiet until last week when the agency called to let me know that they had been instructed to put the house on the market and wanted to know how i felt. I explained that I wasnt happy with this. I also explained I was under the impression we'd get at least a year here and then maybe help them sell the house with some discounted rent after this period so they can still get an income and also sell the house.

Im just wondering what my options are ? Its just turning summer and now im worried my evenings are spent having to show people around the property.

We have a 7 year old daughter and a little dog whos alone during the day (not the daughter!) and wouldnt want people coming in and out the house while we are at work.

Can I flat point refuse viewings ? Am I wrong in thinking its unfair for them wanting to list this house for sale 5 months into letting it ?

Any ideas / opinions would be great, thanks.

The landlord will have certain access rights, they'll be spelt out in the contract. You can't simply pull the drawbridge up and refuse entry, but he can't stroll in anytime he fancies, it's somewhere between the two and the contract will detail where the balance is.

In any event, you will have your 12 months, and in the current climate probably more. The idea of reduced rent to compensate for viewings is an interesting one, but I doubt it'll fly, certainly I've never heard of any tenant getting that, but if it's something you do manage to negotiate then let us know.

Edited by silver surfer

Why does it matter if they sell the house? You have an AST until November - i.e. you will have had a year in the house. The new buyers would have to wait until then to move in.

Im not fussed about them selling the house, Im more concerned about having to be a showroom for them while they have their cake and eat it ?

The landlord will have certain access rights, they'll be spelt out in the contract. You can't simply pull the drawbridge up and refuse entry, but he can't stroll in anytime he fancies, it's somewhere between the two and the contract will detail where the balance is.

In any event, you will have your 12 months, and in the current climate probably more. The idea of reduced rent to compensate for viewings is an interesting one, but I doubt it'll fly, certainly I've never heard of any tenant getting that, but if it's something you do manage to negotiate then let us know.

Yes the LL has the right to enter in an emergency which to allow someone to view the property is NOT. You can refuse him all access if you like regarless of what the contract says.

As for the OP, you have the option of refusing all access for the purposes of him selling, including the agents taking photos and will be living there until Nov as per the contract. Or you could go the easy way and demand you only pay half rent or some other portion for the rest of the tenancy and will allow x viewings and only x on days and at times of your choosing. Point out that without your consent he may find it difficult to sell the place. If he plays difficult then tell him to F off and no viewings, tell the agents the same and that the police will be called if the burglarise your home. Either way you'll be out in Nov (possibly assuming he manages to sell) but with one you get to calf you housing costs.

Edit to remove superfluous gubb

Edited by zebbedee

Zeb,

This was the idea in November, I wanted a term of peace and quiet then obviously throw an offer of a 30% discount for the rolling contract after November and ill help him show people around and keep the house spotless.

I would like to refuse all entry currently as Its not all about the money, I just thought after the stress of moving 5 months ago I deserved to have peace during the term with the family.

If they are desperate to show people around now, maybe I should ask for a large discount for the hassle, otherwise im paying them full whack to be their showroom which seems unfair.

Zeb,

This was the idea in November, I wanted a term of peace and quiet then obviously throw an offer of a 30% discount for the rolling contract after November and ill help him show people around and keep the house spotless.

I would like to refuse all entry currently as Its not all about the money, I just thought after the stress of moving 5 months ago I deserved to have peace during the term with the family.

If they are desperate to show people around now, maybe I should ask for a large discount for the hassle, otherwise im paying them full whack to be their showroom which seems unfair.

Its up to you

1 you get the full term with piece and quiet by refusing them any and all access in relation to thier selling the property, there's nothing they can do, you have a right to quiet enjoyment.

Or

2 you demand a big pay off on the rent and put up with them wanting to have viewings but make it only so many in the time or per month or whatever and at a time named by you and if they wont agree then see 1 above. If you go with 1 be sure to have somewhere set up to move to as they'll sure as hell issue notice to have you out in Nov and I wouldn't be surprised if they do that anyway even if you went with 2

They are on a hiding to nothing, as a result of your right to quiet enjoyment, thats not quiet enjoyment with the odd lack viewing for the landlords benefit.

Edit: if you go with the rent reduction get it in writing incase they try and claim you owe rent when you leave.

Edited by zebbedee

There wasnt a 6 month break clause in there was there?

If not then dont worry. Plan to be out by november and tell the letting agents straight off that viewings are on your terms and at your convenience. It is unlikely that there will be enough to warrant a reduction in rent.

If not then dont worry. Plan to be out by november and tell the letting agents straight off that viewings are on your terms and at your convenience. It is unlikely that there will be enough to warrant a reduction in rent.

If he goes for the reduction in rent to allow viewings he should agree that amount first and let them find out they have agreed to reduce the rent when there will be little reason to.

Plan to be out by november

Presuming there is no break clause then 'plan to be out by November' is not wholly right. The landlord can not begin the legal eviction process until the section 21 notice (and we don't know if it has been issued yet) expires, and it can't expire before the end of the fixed term. This eans that the OP has until the end of the fixe term plus the eviction process time. Even if LL commences proceeings in November, he would not get a possession date until 6 weeks later at the earliest. That's Xmas. Bailiffs have an unofficial eviction amnesty over Xmas every year, leading to a backlog of evictions in January. Backlog means more delays. T could realistically still be in the place at the middle of February depending on which day in Nov the term expires.

EDIT - just picking up on another thread. A non-deed tenancy agreement can be for any length under 3 years. There is no minimum BUT a landlord can not obtain a possession order under section 21 within the first 6 months.

You could also try another tack, of looking for somewhere else to live. You don't have anything to lose by doing this. Just tell your landlord that if he wants to do this, and have viewings, then you don't want to be there, and this is thus a valid reason for you to terminate your contract.

You could also let him know about the state of the housing market at the moment, and that he could be looking at over a year to sell his property, without rental (after all, who would move into a property where they are going to get someone coming in and looking round potentially a few times a week?). A 12+ month void is going to smart a bit.

This then puts you in a position to renegotiate your rental at a reduced rate, and get a commitment from landlord to not sell in the meantime.