House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Food Price Rises Hit Two-Year High And Bread And Pasta Soar By 25%

Food price rises hit two-year high and bread and pasta soar by 25%

Food staples including pasta and bread have soared in price by 25 per cent as food bills rise at their fastest for two years.

The annual rate of increase for all types of food hit 4.9 per cent in May, driven by a surge in the cost of commodity crops such as wheat and corn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000589/Food-price-rises-hit-year-high-bread-pasta-soar-25.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Don't worry though this type of inflation is allowed. Much like energy price inflation. So it actually doesn't matter that you have to pay more to eat and keep warm.

Although the BRC shop price index actually slowed from 2.5% to 2.3% last month so no pressure on Merv this week.

I suppose this can only mean... best not to put up interest rates by much or at all because Uncle Mervyn doesn't want hard-pressed families to suffer higher food prices and then higher interest rates too on top of all the other inflation he has not caused. He's all heart that man

HURRRRAH! Bread is my pension! You can't lose with Bread and Marmite!

Get on the bagal ladder before its too late!

Did you know my slice prices are going up 5p a month!

I think high food prices can only be a good thing for fat westerners. It's the majority of the worlds population that have virtually nothing and spend >50% of their income on food that I feel for.

Watch this commodities bubble burst in spectacular fashion this autumn.

I think high food prices can only be a good thing for fat westerners. It's the majority of the worlds population that have virtually nothing and spend >50% of their income on food that I feel for.

+1. Maybe it'll mean less wasted food - so much is wasted here.

Daughter phoned me incensed the other night because she'd seen bin bags full of 'artisan' loaves etc. dumped outside a cafe/bakery (French chain) near where she works.

Quite apart from encouraging rats, you'd think they might give it to the Sally Army or someone else who'd find a use for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000589/Food-price-rises-hit-year-high-bread-pasta-soar-25.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Don't worry though this type of inflation is allowed. Much like energy price inflation. So it actually doesn't matter that you have to pay more to eat and keep warm.

Although the BRC shop price index actually slowed from 2.5% to 2.3% last month so no pressure on Merv this week.

Good news for bread, Warbutons are selling bread at Poundland, Guess how much for a loaf. :lol:

Daughter phoned me incensed the other night because she'd seen bin bags full of 'artisan' loaves etc. dumped outside a cafe/bakery (French chain) near where she works.

Quite apart from encouraging rats, you'd think they might give it to the Sally Army or someone else who'd find a use for it.

I used to work for a supermarket in my younger days and we used to throw away shed loads of food. Some past the sell by date (still whithin the use by though) and some damaged packages which were fine to eat just not sell. It all went in a skip behind the store which was padlocked. I asked why the padlock when I first started and was told it's so homeless people or anyone else for that matter doesn't go down the skip getting all the (perfectly edible) food out. Because if the injured themselves or became Ill the store could be sued!

Staff weren't allowed the damaged products incase it encouraged intentional damaging just to get free stuff.

So I used to steal it instead :)

Edited by Pent Up

Don't eat bread or pasta so not a worry. Everything else I eat is also going up though, so nothing to rejoice about.

Will just have eat 25% less and use 19% less power doing it!

Interesting as I've noticed price falls over the last month.

eg instore bakery rolls used to be 75p for a sixpack or 3 sixpacks for £1 a couple of years ago in a few shops. then the offer was dropped completely. Now I've seen the return of 2 packs for £1 in Sainsbury's and 2 for £1.20 in Tesco. Still well up on before, thanks Merv, but moderating a bit. Similar with other bread.

Interesting as I've noticed price falls over the last month.

eg instore bakery rolls used to be 75p for a sixpack or 3 sixpacks for £1 a couple of years ago in a few shops. then the offer was dropped completely. Now I've seen the return of 2 packs for £1 in Sainsbury's and 2 for £1.20 in Tesco. Still well up on before, thanks Merv, but moderating a bit. Similar with other bread.

What weight were then / are they now?

Edited to add:

How much of that weight was sawdust then / now?

Edited by Lepista

Just a few years ago the world price of the wheat in a large (400g) loaf was about 5p. Even if it's doubled, that's 5p on a loaf in raw material cost. Anymore than that and someone somewhere is profiteering.

Just a few years ago the world price of the wheat in a large (400g) loaf was about 5p. Even if it's doubled, that's 5p on a loaf in raw material cost. Anymore than that and someone somewhere is profiteering.

It's probably fuel costs adding most of it.

You should see the amount of good food the supermarkets chuck out...they will not reduce it they would rather bin it. :ph34r:

Knocks,

The farmer has to pay more on fuel so adds is 5-15%.

The haulier to the processing plant has to pay more on fuel so adds is 5-15%.

The processing plant to change it to flour has to pay more on electricity and wheat so adds is 5-15%.

The bakery has to pay more for its flour, electricity and haulage and thus adds its own 10-20%.

The super market has to pay more for its bread because all of the above have to pay more.

It snowballs PDQ!

Ha, well they're the same size as before, and (touch wood!) no splinters yet..

Still, a 50% increase from the previous offer price. Ker-ching..

Saw dust aren't we decadent!

:)

You should see the amount of good food the supermarkets chuck out...they will not reduce it they would rather bin it. :ph34r:

At least one supermarket I know of does seriously reduce items about 1 hour before closing time, but when I was in the UK recently the competition for the reduced items had increased quite a bit.

Which supermarket is it that might sell its perishables cheaply before closing time?

Guest spp

And on...and on...and on!!!

When will you people get it...The bubble is the WORLD'S RESERVE CURRENCY! Combine that with population growth, less abundet cheap oil, inept politicians and greedy banksters...you've got a problem.

There are millions that spend a high % of their income on food/energy. You think they'll just stop eating...?

Much of the world is still growing and they make up at least 50% of the worlds population.

WAKE UP!

Edited by spp

I usually buy expensive bread and pasta and haven't noticed the price rise. Maybe it's only the cheap rubbish?