House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
swiss

Uk Has One Of The Lowest Living Standards In Europe

I am Swiss and have lived in several European countries. UK has the lowest living standard so far because of the unhealthy property market.

Peaople say that the reason for the high prices is that UK is overcrowded. This is wrong! Switzerland is more crowded but the average size of a flat/house is 2-3 times bigger. The quality is much higher. Most properties would be unsellable in Germany or Switzerland due to the low quality. People visiting us say it looks like a third world country.

The reason for the high prices is an artificial shortage of land, the culture of everyone must have its own house. In Switzerland which is much wealthier then UK we have the lowest percentage of home owners. Even rich people often rent their houses. This make economically much more sense in many cases.

I hope for a real house price crash in UK as this would help the most people livin in this country. It is even in the interest of those who have made profit from the bubble as then their children can afford to buy/rent property. Also I would like to mention that I do not like to have a private landlord who himself struggles to pay his mortgage. Instead I would prefer to have a professional company as the owner who can efford to care professionally for the property. We have seen a lot of filthy properties. Many of these properties could never be rented in other European countries because their unhealthy situation, carpets are often very old (carpets should not be allowed anyway).

Sorry for all these complaints. I think I would say it more drastically if my english would be better.

I am Swiss and have lived in several European countries. UK has the lowest living standard so far because of the unhealthy property market.

Peaople say that the reason for the high prices is that UK is overcrowded. This is wrong! Switzerland is more crowded but the average size of a flat/house is 2-3 times bigger. The quality is much higher. Most properties would be unsellable in Germany or Switzerland due to the low quality. People visiting us say it looks like a third world country.

The reason for the high prices is an artificial shortage of land, the culture of everyone must have its own house. In Switzerland which is much wealthier then UK we have the lowest percentage of home owners. Even rich people often rent their houses. This make economically much more sense in many cases.

I hope for a real house price crash in UK as this would help the most people livin in this country. It is even in the interest of those who have made profit from the bubble as then their children can afford to buy/rent property. Also I would like to mention that I do not like to have a private landlord who himself struggles to pay his mortgage. Instead I would prefer to have a professional company as the owner who can efford to care professionally for the property. We have seen a lot of filthy properties. Many of these properties could never be rented in other European countries because their unhealthy situation, carpets are often very old (carpets should not be allowed anyway).

Sorry for all these complaints. I think I would say it more drastically if my english would be better.

you can rent in Germany for how long you want as the landlord is not allowed to get rid of you. it is common to move in with your own kitchen.

nothing like this exists in UK so you can not expect that people will rent here for long term

People visiting us say it looks like a third world country.

Seriously, whatever smug Swiss theories you have about the quality of life in the UK this 3rd world stuff is utter BS! Please, go and live in Guatemala city for a few months and then tell me with a straight face that anywhere in the UK, even the poorest parts, look '3rd world'. FFS.

Peaople say that the reason for the high prices is that UK is overcrowded. This is wrong! Switzerland is more crowded but the average size of a flat/house is 2-3 times bigger. The quality is much higher. Most properties would be unsellable in Germany or Switzerland due to the low quality. People visiting us say it looks like a third world country.Sorry for all these complaints. I think I would say it more drastically if my english would be better.

I think your analysis is ridiculous.

As a Brit I have lived/worked in Germany/Sweden/Italy and in all three countries when looking for rental accommodation, some of the properties on offer were barely more than slums.

In Germany, of which I have most experience being expected to live in a 20 sqm (self contained) property is quite normal. You will almost never find a property this small in the UK.

The idea that everything in the rest of Europe is miles better than the UK is completely and utterly FALSE

tim

I think that I am inclined to agree with swiss with his view of the UK property market.

Also I would like to mention that I do not like to have a private landlord who himself struggles to pay his mortgage. Instead I would prefer to have a professional company as the owner who can efford to care professionally for the property. We have seen a lot of filthy properties. Many of these properties could never be rented in other European countries because their unhealthy situation, carpets are often very old (carpets should not be allowed anyway).

Totally agree. I would feel more at ease renting from an organisation with a longer term view of property investment (20+ years) rather than an opportunistic amateur landlord - especially one who has a mortgage on said property.

In Germany, of which I have most experience being expected to live in a 20 sqm (self contained) property is quite normal. You will almost never find a property this small in the UK.

4x5m Studio in London is luxury for the single person.

I think your analysis is ridiculous.

As a Brit I have lived/worked in Germany/Sweden/Italy and in all three countries when looking for rental accommodation, some of the properties on offer were barely more than slums.

The idea that everything in the rest of Europe is miles better than the UK is completely and utterly FALSE

tim

currently or 10 or 20 years ago?