House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Channel 4 Now - Fairy Job Mother

After the benefit shake up, the new series follows people trying to get back into work

Have your blood pressure tablets to hand.

Classic, first couple of minutes, fat guy saying being forced to get a job or risk losing his benefits is messing with his human rights.

Edited by exiges

Just remember, as you are watching this, for most jobs advertised (even in London) there are a minimum of 30-40 applicants...and for some jobs you are talking of more than 100 applicants.

Most people looking for work, pray they are competing against the minority chosen for this type of documentary. Otherwise there is very little realistic prospect of finding work.

After the benefit shake up, the new series follows people trying to get back into work

Have your blood pressure tablets to hand.

Classic, first couple of minutes, fat guy saying being forced to get a job or risk losing his benefits is messing with his human rights.

I'm always torn in two. On one hand I get outraged at the sheer nerve of deliberately choosing not to work and so presumably my tax payments have to be higher to pay for this, on the other (and I definitely don't condone it) I can kind of see a point on choosing benefits over slogging your guts out for a minimum wage job which doesn't get you much of a life in this country.

I'm lucky in that my wage is far enough above the benefit level that it makes sense for me to work, but if I wasn't it would be pretty hard to carry on and do the right thing, I probably would because its how I've been brought up but perhaps that may just make me the bigger fool for being a good corporate little drone.

I liked tagline in the adverts for this show.

"to help the people the government failed"

FFS, they're grown men and women. its THEIR responsibility to find a job.

If the govt chained them to a radiator, that would be stopping them getting a job. Instead apparently not carrying them into a bloody interview and dressing the morons is 'failing' them now.

Sums up the problem with this country. Adults act like children, and the state is supposed to encourage this, in channel4land at least.

I usually like the C4 docs, unlike the BBC they arent run for the benefit of islamic extremists, C4 critic both Israel and the muslims, but the ad for this just grates.

Just remember, as you are watching this, for most jobs advertised (even in London) there are a minimum of 30-40 applicants...and for some jobs you are talking of more than 100 applicants.

Most people looking for work, pray they are competing against the minority chosen for this type of documentary. Otherwise there is very little realistic prospect of finding work.

... and often, the only work that you can get just brings in a few more £ per day than if you stay on benefits.

Doesn't apply to me, but my brother is heading towards being a professional benefits-leach, and in his case it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

I'm always torn in two. On one hand I get outraged at the sheer nerve of deliberately choosing not to work and so presumably my tax payments have to be higher to pay for this, on the other (and I definitely don't condone it) I can kind of see a point on choosing benefits over slogging your guts out for a minimum wage job which doesn't get you much of a life in this country.

I'm lucky in that my wage is far enough above the benefit level that it makes sense for me to work, but if I wasn't it would be pretty hard to carry on and do the right thing, I probably would because its how I've been brought up but perhaps that may just make me the bigger fool for being a good corporate little drone.

+1 B)

£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over

£4.92 - the 18-20 rate

£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18

£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Rates from 1 October 2011

The NMW rates are reviewed each year by the Low Pay Commission and from 1 October 2011:

the main rate for workers aged 21 and over will increase to £6.08

the 18-20 rate will increase to £4.98

the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18 will increase to £3.68

the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship will increase to £2.60

Mega Buck$ = £6.08 x 40 hours = £243.2 - TAX = £913.49/month

I can see why people choose benefits.

Housing benefit £65 / week +JSA of £65.45/week = £563.33/months claiming

Means that you get an £2.19 per hour extra for working a minimum wage job instead of claiming. (based on single no dep 25+)

£2.19 per hour to care / clean / stack shelf's / serve burgers anyone?

£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over

£4.92 - the 18-20 rate

£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18

£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Rates from 1 October 2011

The NMW rates are reviewed each year by the Low Pay Commission and from 1 October 2011:

the main rate for workers aged 21 and over will increase to £6.08

the 18-20 rate will increase to £4.98

the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18 will increase to £3.68

the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship will increase to £2.60

Means that you get an £2.19 per hour extra for working a minimum wage job instead of claiming. (based on single no dep 25+)

Plus a couple a couple of hundred quid a month tax credits...still bugger all though...

Minus any cost's of getting to work or clothing needed for work.

I remember prior to getting my first proper paid job when I was 21 earning peanuts , but I was young living at home and had hope. That hope paid off and the decent jobs did come along. However for the young average educated out there now there is litle hope of ever getting a decent paying job with any prospects.

Plus a couple a couple of hundred quid a month tax credits...still bugger all though...

To be fair khards said single, no dependents, 25+. I put the figures through the tax credits calculator, he/she would get £132.40 - per year.

Don't forget to take of council tax, travel to work, clothes, food and any other indirect costs. So who is the bigger fool the one on benefits who has all the free time and the one who works for the minimum wage ?

This programme annoys me as the lady who is helping asks them to conceal facts about themselves that might impact on their ability to do the job. You also know that her firm are trousering tax payers cash like no tomorrow for getting people into work a position that may be temporary.

To be fair khards said single, no dependents, 25+. I put the figures through the tax credits calculator, he/she would get £132.40 - per year.

But when you factor in council tax, dental care, no commuting bills and whatever else , its quite easy to question why its financially beneficial to work at minimum wage.

Fat scouser = lazy tosser. Stop his giro permanently

OMG. Life imitating art? He looked, sounded and behaved exactly like Jim in The Royale Family. He even said "my ****!".

Apparently he was re-employed in Security by the end of the programme. God help that company....

Spot on Trampa. I can absolutely confirm this. Chuck in expansion of the Eurozone by Eastern European countries in 2004 and again in 2007 and you're up against it from the off.

But your wages are probably being paid by his benefits, if you work for Asda, Tesco, William Hill and whoever makes fags these days.

This programme annoys me as the lady who is helping asks them to conceal facts about themselves that might impact on their ability to do the job. You also know that her firm are trousering tax payers cash like no tomorrow for getting people into work a position that may be temporary.

indeed...

'Jobseekers treated 'like cattle'' [March 2008]:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1042106_jobseekers_treated_like_cattle

The government pays A4e up to £194 per customer per week,...

'A4e - a company that makes its money from government contracts':

http://watchinga4e.blogspot.com/2009/07/a4e-company-that-doesnt-like-criticism.html

...it has transferred taxpayers' money, in vast quantities, into private hands. In A4e's case, this means the hands of one person, who has become a very wealthy woman. Money intended to provide services to the those most in need goes instead into the bank account of Emma Harrison. This is now considered normal.

I had my theoretical tax credits calculated at the JC last year (as per your description), 30 hours + a week, minimum wage, etc... roughly two hundred quid a month...might have changed since mind...

I had my theoretical tax credits calculated at the JC last year (as per your description), 30 hours + a week, minimum wage, etc... roughly two hundred quid a month...might have changed since mind...

last year it would of been nearer 250 four weekly, been reduced this year. Theres a lot of people that don't even claim that could get a proportion of this.

I tried suggesting to a friend they should claim, they would of been entitled to £20 a week, but they never bothered.

Some people don't understand its one simple form and thats it so long as your circs don't change.

However if you have temporary job then you can't claim JSA untill a a runon period of a month after finished a period of employment. That can be a severe hinderance if you don't know this.

Under 25, no tax credits.

Full prescription charges, full dental charges, full optical charges.

Working Tax Credits (WTC) function as a 'passport' benefit. Like JSA (Job seekers Allowance), IS (Income Support), DLA (Disability Living Allowance), and a few others... Working tax credit entitles a person to free prescriptions.

Under 19 in Full time education?

Diabetic?

Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish?

Essentially only low & low-middle wage workers under 25 and low wage workers 25-50 in England pay for prescriptions (in the UK).

If you don't get sick pay and you become ill your FUBAR.

The crack is, get yourself signed on, visit dentist, optician and doctor, move onto the next job.

Fat scouser = lazy tosser. Stop his giro permanently

He blamed Thatcher even though he lost his job two years ago when Labour had been in government for 12 years.

Typical thick as mince Labour supporter.

He blamed Thatcher even though he lost his job two years ago when Labour had been in government for 12 years.

I haven't seen the show but that's hilarious. Shame we can't give his sort ten quid to get lost off to Australia.

To be fair on some areas such as privatisation the last Labour govenrment were more Tory then Thatcher so by fluke, he may have had a point :)

I'm happy for people to claim benefits and not go for jobs.

Means less competition for me and I get paid better.

Supply and demand :lol:

Cost me far less than Banksters and politicians.

All very well telling people they should work. Oh by the way 50% of your salary is lost on a shared living/lodger, another 25% goes on bills, leaving you with £44.40 a week to buy food and (dont laugh) pension, savings. God help you if you want a car.