House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Radio 4 - One Hour Of Death Of The Highstreet, Phone In

Stuff we've been banging on about for years. It's a HPC forecast come true. Independent shops - the plan was to kill you off! Lay down and stay down!

7 days to relisten. Lots of phone-ins from shop keepers. "Rents quadrupled" from one caller. Introduction of parking charges, killed the town etc..

b011p5ny_303_170.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011p5ny

Edited by Money Spinner

Stuff we've been banging on about for years. It's a HPC forecast come true. Independent shops - the plan was to kill you off! Lay down and stay down!

Relisten - 7 days to listen. Lots of phone-ins from shop keepers. "Rents quadrupled" from one caller. Introduction of parking charges, killed the town etc..

Yep, the good old greedy landlord.

An aquaintance used to rent a shopfront on a main street in Edinburgh as part of a business he ran. A couple of years ago now they were told that their rent was going to go up significantly and that they would have to sign an extended contract. They decided against it and now all this time later the place is still empty with a 'to let' sign on its front. I smile every time I go past it as someone is losing money (or at least not making as much as they maybe would like to).

All we have here is charity shops and estate agents! :huh:

The MD of Greggs even phoned in. He said some town centres will never recover, our shopping habits have changed. It was down to both adults in a family working.

The MD of Greggs even phoned in. He said some town centres will never recover, our shopping habits have changed. It was down to both adults in a family working.

given how much high streets have changed in the last 500 years, i would suggest his projection for the next 1 squillion years has the same longevity as one of his pies

given how much high streets have changed in the last 500 years, i would suggest his projection for the next 1 squillion years has the same longevity as one of his pies

I think he is right to a point, internet retail has killed the highstreet even on MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW stuff. I have travelled to the city centre to get something I needed right now. They didn't have it in stock and offered to order it in for me. I think I made a post about it wayy back. If they were to do that why did I even bother to go out?

Anyway it is funny though that shops open 9-5 when people who are supposed to have the money the workers are all working at this time. Retail should open 3pm-11pm instead. When the non retail workers are not working!

I think he is right to a point, internet retail has killed the highstreet even on MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW stuff. I have travelled to the city centre to get something I needed right now. They didn't have it in stock and offered to order it in for me. I think I made a post about it wayy back. If they were to do that why did I even bother to go out?

Anyway it is funny though that shops open 9-5 when people who are supposed to have the money the workers are all working at this time. Retail should open 3pm-11pm instead. When the non retail workers are not working!

even im not stupid enough to project the next 10000 years forward as to the successfulness of high streets (and whatever they represent at said time)

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

even im not stupid enough to project the next 10000 years forward as to the succesfulness of high streets (and whatever they represent at said time)

Well you know how the English language is, people say things which don't really mean it in the literal sense.

Like a life sentence is only 15-18 years in prison.

Or We'll never introduce top up fees for university.

Or how fancy a shag? Does not always mean fancy a shag :o

even im not stupid enough to project the next 10000 years forward as to the succesfulness of high streets (and whatever they represent at said time)

Only a month ago people were saying fuel prices were hitting out of town shopping!

Town centres will survive. They'll just be those pound shops and cheap branded crap shops.

The unemployed still have to spend their dole cheques.

Commie City Council round here stuck meters on all the 1 hour free parking slots I used to use

for a quick shop. Not been into the City centre for maybe 5 years now. Obviously they didn't want the business.

Successive Swansea Councils, IMPO, have killed the city centre. Now the Liberal Council is talking about taxing the out of town shopping centres.

Those Liberals can't make up their minds! :huh:

7 days to relisten. Lots of phone-ins from shop keepers. "Rents quadrupled" from one caller. Introduction of parking charges, killed the town etc...

I remember talking to shop-keepers in London, the SE & SW since about 2002/3 - and they were all really pjssed off about ever-rising rents. MANY of those businesses just shut shop due to said rising rents and business rates - which just shot up year after year..... The GREED of landlords and LA's was astonishing - ...... ans shockingly short-sighted. :angry: :angry:

I remember talking to shop-keepers in London, the SE & SW since about 2002/3 - and they were all really pjssed off about ever-rising rents. MANY of those businesses just shut shop due to said rising rents and business rates - which just shot up year after year..... The GREED of landlords and LA's was astonishing - ...... ans shockingly short-sighted. :angry: :angry:

But their property was worth 250k when rents were 25k, so surely now the rents are 75k its worth 750k - I can mew that at 0%, right?

2 town centers in Merseyside (Huyton & Kirkby) have just introduced parking charges gone for the what WAS free 2 hr parking.

Another blow to these local town centre's

Also, not enough on street parking in a lot of city center's, forcing you to park in the super expensive NCP's etc. :angry:

Newcastle centre has recently opened its shops till ten at night, and has been a roaring success! you cant shop if your at work!

Is it 10?? I thought it was 8! But yes, seems to have been (mostly) a success.

Yes, and still they [the councillors] want their town centre regeneration projects.

Internet retail has killed Greggs' business? Do people buy their lunchtime sandwich, pie, or sausage roll online? Or do they buy their bread at the supermarket because its convenient to do that along with the rest of the food shopping?

Internet still accounts for a relatively small proportion of retail spending, disproportionately in sectors that tend to locate their shops in out of town centres rather than the high street. Sure the Internet skims a proportion of retail takings making life harder for retailers, but there's a lot more to high street retail than that.

Shopping centres are still full of people but tills are not ringing. If the Internet really meant people didn't want or need to go there the centres would be quiet. They're not, so something else is the cause.

Table Internet sales as a percentage of total retail sales(non seasonally adjusted)

Mar 6.5

2009 (%)

Apr 5.6

May 5.7

Jun 5.6

Jul 6.0

Aug 5.8

Sep 6.3

Oct 7.4

Nov 8.2

Dec 8.8

All that should happen is that rents on town centre properties reduce to a level whereby businesses can compete with online retailers.

Whether that adjustment is allowed to happen is another question given the rich tend to own all the property and also own the government.....